• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How's Your Interac Doing? (July outage & telecomm stuff in general)

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Not good for folks who rely on plastic $ or their phones to manage their entire lives :(
And Beaverton's not far behind ....

Mod edit of thread title to broaden things just a titch

Last edited:
Definitely glad I actually had cash this morning when grabbing a coffee.

It’s weird that no reason has yet been given for the outages.

Definitely glad I actually had cash this morning when grabbing a coffee.

It’s weird that no reason has yet been given for the outages.
A few of us idle ones here are speculating its a cyber attack. Even if it isn't we SHOULD always be aware this is but one way our enemies can do us harm.

And for those of you that think EVERYONE loves Canada I have some prime real estate in Moscow for you or perhaps Beijing.

A few of us idle ones here are speculating its a cyber attack. Even if it isn't we SHOULD always be aware this is but one way our enemies can do us harm.

And for those of you that think EVERYONE loves Canada I have some prime real estate in Moscow for you or perhaps Beijing.
Well, if Bell goes out too......

Now, imagine if we were a cashless society working with a social credit card?

That initiative is already in the pipe and heading our way.

The wife is a cashier, working right now. The office just came and told them it started in Ontario and is now nation wide.

Rogers skimping on maintenance, because they needed the money to pay for lawyers to sue each other instead?
In fairness, Bell is skimping on maintenance too. When landlines went down in Winnipeg, they just shrugged and said “We’ll get to it when we get to it”, till the CRTC stepped in.

I should hope it's reliable. In addition to what has already been spent the past few years (massive fibre upgrades), they've been dropping press releases about another $70B over the next four years or so.

Nevertheless: "Great, kid! Don't get cocky."

My phone is Telus. No problem.
My internet is a local provider. They have no connection to any of the big boys, including the last mile. MNSI is their own server to consumer private fibre lines. I get 1000/750 for $80 and have never experienced an outage with MNSI. I was with Bell Sympatico, since the early dialup and Netscape days. 35 years of frustration, phone calls, outages, high prices. And having a guy at Bell India reading me a check list is not service.

Some Mastercards (Capital One for example) have been working all day. It seems only about half the retailers in my town know this

It depends on the payment processor used, and on the ISP of the retailer... Lots of places for things to go wrong.

It depends on the payment processor used, and on the ISP of the retailer... Lots of places for things to go wrong.
Couldn't withdraw funds from any bank but my own. Too bad it is a 20 minute drive from my house, and that I am taking my son to an Atletico game tomorrow night (where popcorn and a pop costs $12). Anyways, all is good.

Paper money, like paper ballots and paper books, is pretty reliable. We're still a ways out from a catastrophic result of people being too dependent on technology, but I continue to wonder by how much. Maybe a 5% CFR?

Paper money, like paper ballots and paper books, is pretty reliable. We're still a ways out from a catastrophic result of people being too dependent on technology, but I continue to wonder by how much. Maybe a 5% CFR?
Which is why we need one more round of Covid to finish it off. :)

And add Passport lines and the ArriveCan app and Klaus will get his wish......:) ;) :)

Back