• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Howard Hesseman (Johnny Fever), 1940-2022

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Literally, some "radio" chatter - R.I.P.
Howard Hesseman, who played the radio disc jockey Johnny Fever on the sitcom “WKRP in Cincinnati” and the actor-turned-history teacher Charlie Moore on “Head of the Class,” has died. He was 81.

Hesseman died Saturday in Los Angeles due to complications from colon surgery, his manager Robbie Kass said Sunday.

Hesseman, who had himself been a radio DJ in the ‘60s, earned two Emmy nominations for playing Johnny Fever on CBS’ “WKRP in Cincinnati,” which ran for four seasons from 1978-1982. The role made Hesseman a counterculture icon at a time when few hippie characters made it onto network television.

“I think maybe Johnny smokes a little marijuana, drinks beer and wine, and maybe a little hard liquor,” Hesseman told The New York Times in 1979 as he readied for one of three “Saturday Night Live” hosting gigs. “And on one of those hard mornings at the station, he might take what for many years was referred to as a diet pill. But be is a moderate user of soft drugs, specifically marijuana.” ...
Screenshot 2022-01-30 142504.jpg

Umm, you do know how this “life” thing works, right?
I thought so.

I always figured it was like this:

Parks And Recreation Dancing GIF

More recently it seems like it could be this:

life GIF

:unsure:

I thought so.

I always figured it was like this:

Parks And Recreation Dancing GIF

More recently it seems like it could be this:

life GIF

:unsure:
Those are good. In your second Gif, “death” is the dog. Only the kid doesn’t get up….

For years, when I saw a death notice of a member, it started out as 'old guys' I might have heard of, worked under of or run across. Then it turned into into folks I worked with at some point, but still older. Now it's peers and classmates. I'm now in the target demographic.

R.I.P. Howard Hesseman
It was a good show.
I recall one time they tossed turkeys out of a helicopter.

For years, when I saw a death notice of a member, it started out as 'old guys' I might have heard of, worked under of or run across. Then it turned into into folks I worked with at some point, but still older. Now it's peers and classmates. I'm now in the target demographic.

Get every dollar you can out of the pension!

I hired on with my department 50 years ago, come Sept. Because we "only" covered 240 square miles, everybody knew everybody.

At HQ, there is a memorial wall in the lobby. When you pass away, they put your mugshot, date appointed, date retired, and date of death on it.

That way, when we have our pensioner luncheons, we can remember them.

Attachments

• 800px-Howard_Hesseman_(handprints_in_cement).jpg
    800px-Howard_Hesseman_(handprints_in_cement).jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 2
My first real experience with death was when my grandpa died. I was nine. I still grieve for the time lost and the anger and resentment I have towards hospitals and the rules as they were in 1966. No kids allowed to visit dying grandparents - we were too "noisy".

Back