• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to Mark Passing of Last WW 1 Vet?

Either a national paper put the link in and the Canadian Public is making a statement, or the counter is messed up. Since I posted earlier, it is climbing at a rate of 3 or 3 signatures a second. Now over 72250.

Down about 72235 I find this.

"Strongly disagree. I/we know nothing about their military history. A quick search of soldiers on the WW1 site I find only one listed, and he was underage?? If the other 2 served with the British Army, they hardly qualify for Canadian memorialization!"

Maybe he is the father of the young lad in the legion here.
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/53277/post-479721.html#msg479721

Hello Everyone,

Thank you so much for your support of the petition to offer the family of the last Great War Veteran a State Funeral. The response has been overwhelming, and we are now at over 82,000 signatures. We still need your help to make the goal of 100,000. Please forward the petition on to friends and family!

www.dominion.ca/petition

Looks like it's mission accomplished:  :salute:

The House of Commons has voted unanimously in favour of having a state funeral when the last Canadian veteran of the First World War dies.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2006/11/21/state-funeral.html

potato

I had to endure Jack Layton on the news this am as he outlined his motion......actually he was not that bad considering his past comments regarding other related military topics.

I think it is a wonderful tribute, not only to the last veteran, but all those who went before him.

Only question I have is, what if he (or his family) does not want a state funeral? Some people prefer their passing to be a very private event, eg no visitation or service, simple cremation etc. I hope folks in govt considered this possibility and asked first.

a78jumper said:
Only question I have is, what if he (or his family) does not want a state funeral? Some people prefer their passing to be a very private event, eg no visitation or service, simple cremation etc. I hope folks in govt considered this possibility and asked first.

Whether it was considered or not (and I'm quite certain it was), this motion now gives the government the option of offering a state funeral to the family.  As with any offer, the family can decline if they or the deceased want a more private service.

This should have been a no-brainer.

State funeral for last WWI vet approved by House

Last Updated: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 | 10:55 AM ET
CBC News
The House of Commons has voted unanimously in favour of having a state funeral when the last Canadian veteran of the First World War dies.

The motion, introduced by the NDP, asked the government to honour all who served in the First World War by sponsoring a state funeral.

Of the 619,636 Canadians who served between 1914 and 1918, only three are still alive: Percy Wilson, 105, and Lloyd Clemett and John Babcock, both 106.

A state funeral is one of the highest honours a country can bestow on a person, but they're traditionally reserved for prime ministers and governors general.

The motion was prompted by an online petition launched by the Dominion Institute, a national organization that promotes Canadian history.

"We want to thank the tens of thousands of Canadians who signed our petition in support of state funeral," Rudyard Griffiths, the director of the Dominion Institute, said in a statement.

"By passing a motion to offer a full state funeral today the Parliament of Canada will allow a grateful nation to pay proper tribute to our last Great War veteran on his passing and honour the over 600,000 Canadians he served with under arms from 1914-1918."

The Institute said that since Nov. 6, around 100,000 Canadians had signed the petition.

Commons approves motion for state funeral

Updated Tue. Nov. 21 2006 11:24 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

The House of Commons voted unanimously Tuesday in favor of an NDP motion asking the government to sponsor a full state funeral when the last First World War veteran passes away.

Only three surviving First World War veterans - Dwight (Percy) Wilson, 105, and Lloyd Clemett and John Babcock, both 106 - are still alive.

NDP Leader Jack Layton said the government should recognize that a state funeral would celebrate "the contribution of a whole generation of Canadians who served, whether overseas or here at home and their families as well."

Layton told CTV's Canada AM on Tuesday morning that the funeral would allow the entire country to pay tribute to all those who served during the First World War.

"We won't be able to look them in the eyes anymore and thank them for their service the way we should for everyone who is willing to serve our country the way they did and our armed forces personnel still do," he said.

The concept was first proposed before Remembrance Day by the Dominion Institute, which said such a funeral would help promote memories of the long-ago conflict.

"We want to thank the tens of thousands of Canadians who signed our petition in support of a State Funeral," Rudyard Griffiths, executive director of the Dominion Institute said in a written statement.

"By passing a motion to offer a full state funeral today the Parliament of Canada will allow a grateful nation to pay proper tribute to our last Great War veteran on his passing and honour the over 600,000 Canadians he served with under arms from 1914-1918."

The veterans' advancing years created a groundswell of support for the proposal to follow the example of Australia, which held a state funeral for the final survivor of the Battle of Gallipoli.

By Tuesday morning, nearly 100,000 people had signed a petition on the institute's website asking that the Canadian government support the proposal.

There were initial concerns that the Conservatives would not support the motion.

A spokesman for Veterans Affairs Minister Greg Thompson had said the Tories wouldn't say whether they would back the motion until they saw it.

A poll released on Remembrance Day found that three out of four respondents approve of a state funeral when the last First World War veteran dies.

State funerals are one of the highest honours a country can bestow on a person, but they're traditionally reserved for prime ministers and governors general.

More than 600,000 Canadians served in the First World War and 60,000 of those were killed.

True, however it kind of puts the family on the spot if they decline. I do hope the event happens, closure for all those that were affected by WW1.

My Grandmother, born in 1900, originally from Glasgow was not an emotional or demonstrative woman, but I do remember her telling me that she lost many, many of her cousins and also male friends she grew up with. I was 41 years removed from the end of The Great War, and it still impacted on me, though not directly.

If the family does not want a state funeral can they not decline the honour?  At any rate the mechanism is in place to have one if they do and that is what's so important about this if you ask me.

Cheers
Bern

From CBC.ca
Shared under the Fair Dealings Provisions of the Copyright Act, RSC

House approves state funeral for last WWI vet
Last Updated: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 | 10:55 AM ET
CBC News

The motion, introduced by the NDP, asked the government to honour all who served in the First World War by sponsoring a state funeral.

Of the 619,636 Canadians who served between 1914 and 1918, only three are still alive: Percy Wilson, 105, and Lloyd Clemett and John Babcock, both 106.

A state funeral is one of the highest honours a country can bestow on a person, but they're traditionally reserved for prime ministers and governors general.

The motion was prompted by an online petition launched by the Dominion Institute, a national organization that promotes Canadian history.

"We want to thank the tens of thousands of Canadians who signed our petition in support of state funeral," Rudyard Griffiths, the director of the Dominion Institute, said in a statement.

The Institute said that since Nov. 6, around 100,000 Canadians had signed the petition.

With files from the Canadian Press

Here's a suggestion:
If the individual declines or his family refuses, then fine, so be it.

If they don't want it, then we do not need to make it a state funeral BUT, in it's stead, we can have a concurrent memorial service, across Canada, to mark the passing of the generation that fought in the great war...

Apparently Mr Babcock has declined, stating he has been in the USA for most of his life, is a US citizen, and never made it to the front as he was waiting deployment from England when the war ended.

Good grief..... a man with spunk AND principle!
Must've been an NCO

This man would not like to meet Jack Layton !

From today's Globe and Mail

my emphasis added

First World War vet declines state funeral
U.S. citizen who never fought says honour would make him uncomfortable
BILL CURRY

From Wednesday's Globe and Mail

OTTAWA — One of Canada's last three First World War veterans is declining the offer of a state funeral on the grounds that he never actually fought in the war and has been living in the United States most of his life.

Jack Babcock, 106, nonetheless praised the idea of a state funeral to honour the passing of the final veteran of the Great War.

"I think that would be good," said Mr. Babcock, who attributes his longevity to lots of push-ups and an active, non-smoking lifestyle.

His decision will avoid a potentially awkward controversy, as some groups in Canada have questioned the appropriateness of extending a state funeral to a U.S. citizen.

Members of Parliament unanimously adopted an NDP motion yesterday, calling for a state funeral when the last of the three surviving veterans passes away.

The vote caps a highly successful campaign orchestrated by the Dominion Institute, an organization that promotes Canadian history and that managed to collect 90,000 signatures in support of the honour.

"We're 10 feet off the ground today," executive director Rudyard Griffiths said.

"The First World War has been portrayed at times as a war of futility, of tragic insignificance and in some ways that's a bit of revisionism," he said. "I think we need to remember that not just at Vimy Ridge, but Passchendaele and the other great battles of the First World War, Canada came of age."

Mr. Griffiths had expressed concern about the possibility of a state funeral that recognizes a U.S. citizen.

But in a telephone interview from their home in Spokane, Wash., Mr. Babcock and his wife Dorothy politely declined the offer.

Mrs. Babcock said they have discussed the matter, and Mr. Babcock concluded he would not feel comfortable with such an honour because he never fought in the war.

When the war ended, Mr. Babcock was still stationed in England waiting to be deployed.

Mrs. Babcock, 78, says her husband has been very athletic all of his life.

"When I met him, we started backpacking. He was 76 and he was in great shape. I didn't want to marry him because I thought he was too old, but I'm glad I did," she said.

The other two known First World War veterans are Lloyd Clemett, who is also 106, and Dwight Wilson, who is 105.

Mr. Wilson's son Paul said his family would be more comfortable with a state funeral if it was focused on all First World War veterans, rather than just his father.

"I'm not saying I'm against it, I just need to know more," he said. "My dad would be the last one to expect something like this. We're a bit in awe of all this."

Mr. Wilson said he has not discussed the issue with his father. Like Mr. Babcock, Dwight Wilson was in England when the war ended and was not involved in direct combat.

He worked for Bell Canada for 47 years after the war and travelled Ontario as a concert baritone.

"He had a beautiful baritone voice," he said.

Mr. Clemett's niece, Merle Kaczanowski, could not be reached yesterday but was also hesitant about the idea in an interview earlier this month.

"I don't know if he'd be comfortable with a state funeral," she told The Globe and Mail.

Gerald Lefebvre, a spokesman for Veterans Affairs Minister Greg Thompson, said the department has been making plans for some time on the best way to honour all veterans of the Great War, as well as the passing of a generation.

Mr. Lefebvre would not commit the government to a specific action such as a state funeral, saying the exact plans will be outlined in a future announcement.

Though Conservative MPs supported the motion, one Tory MP expressed concern yesterday that the NDP motion was not fully thought out. Mr. Babcock's comments suggest the NDP acted prematurely, he said.

"While it sounds good, I think we have to examine all options and do due diligence before we go forward," said Saskatchewan MP Tom Lukiwski, the parliamentary secretary to the Government House Leader. "We want to make sure that all veterans are included in any kind of a ceremony or recognition, not just one."

Shared under the Fair Dealings Provisions of the Copyright Act, RSC

"While it sounds good, I think we have to examine all options and do due diligence before we go forward," said Saskatchewan MP Tom Lukiwski, the parliamentary secretary to the Government House Leader. "We want to make sure that all veterans are included in any kind of a ceremony or recognition, not just one."

I think the honourable member has just missed the point, this is not about all veterans. It is about WWI veterans, whose final representative is being honoured It is blunt to sat it but there will be no additional WWI veterans to include. Perhaps he just misspoke.

Top marks for ideas but, failing marks for planning and due dilligence

My suggestion is that the country starts planning for concurrent memorial services right across the country.... followed by the equivalent of an Irish wake in the local legion halls, messes & pubs.

Am I alone in being a little creeped out by a dead pool for the coolest funeral?  They're ALL national treasures at this stage of the game, would three state funerals really cost that much more than one?  If so, maybe the GGofC could forgo a cocktail party or weekend at the cabin to help cover the costs.

Kat.... by the sounds of things, not one of them wants the state funeral.

WRT the GGs entertainment budget, she/he entertains at the request of the Gov't...... so the GG is not, IMHO a problem.

Never mind.  The point was that EVERYONE at the cocaine factory pisses away more money than a funeral cost on pretty trivial crap daily, but okay.

Back