• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to Lose Friends and Alienate Countries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Know what? I'm sorry if you guys have trouble getting past this. However, if you can get this upset by a few morons on red eye, late night TV, perhaps you should be going to bed earlier.

Go ahead and write them and heap scores of indignation upon them. They'll sit around the set giggling like schoolgirls at you. You've also likely confirmed the marketing research that was probably part of this show. ie: I wonder how many of them dumb canuks stay awake and watch us?

Worrying about stupid shyte produced by cretins will get you holes in your stomach.

Here's an idea. Read a good book instead.

recceguy said:
C'mon Tony. Any person brought up in any sort of civilized society, in whatever country, should be morally outraged upon hearing the vile, vindictive bile spewed by that she-beast banshee Heather Mallick (though she was working for the CBC at the time)
Agreed - that was WAY off the meter, and I'll agree that this isn't quite in the same league.  I must have misunderstood your original remark - I thought you meant that nobody seems to complain when the US is bashed.

recceguy said:
Know what? I'm sorry if you guys have trouble getting past this. However, if you can get this upset by a few morons on red eye, late night TV, perhaps you should be going to bed earlier.
And I guess nobody south of the border would get upset if Canadian comedians said something equivalent about any gaps or issues they see in the U.S. military on late-night TV (OK, middle of the night) here?

I'm not losing sleep myself (agree with you re:  the stomach holes), but it is disappointing nonetheless.

I say the odds are pretty good very few Americans are watching much Canadian programing during the 2-3am time slot

Teflon said:
I say the odds are pretty good very few Americans are watching much Canadian programing during the 2-3am time slot

I say the odds are pretty good very few Canadians are watching much Canadian programing during the 2-3am time slot    ;D

Heck it is in most of our life times that that time was the start of the test pattern. 

Just wanted to say I strongly agree with everything Oddball has said and there is no need to repeat it.

leroi's letter; sorry if some folks don't agree with me but one of the strengths of our system is that we can agree to disagree ... :yellow:

"March 19, 2009

Mr. Gutfeld,
Fox News

I watched a Youtube video involving you and some others having fun at the expense of Canadian National Defence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhTZ_tgMUdo

I was appalled, insulted and embarrassed for you: it's not comedy when a more powerful nation publicly berates the defence capability of a less powerful ally and friend--it's tragedy.

Although satire, by its nature, is often funniest when it tests the boundaries of socially respectable and acceptable norms, it's in poor taste when it publicly mocks an ally fighting and dying alongside your own troops.

Go ahead and poke fun at our climate, our mentality, our culture, our accent and any other things you find different about us—we also enjoy making fun of your cultural quirks as neighbours sometimes do--but don't insult the soldiers who've sacrificed their lives to protect America from another Nine-Eleven.

Judging by your ratings, it appears that your viewpoint is not representative of American culture in general; it certainly isn't representative of the wonderful Americans I've met and known.

There are some people however who'll find the clip enormously amusing: people like Osama Bin Laden and your very own homegrown traitor/terrorist Adam Gadahn are only two examples.

With friends like you, Mr. Gutfeld, who needs enemies ...

Sincerely,

[leroi: real name edited out]"

uncle-midget-Oddball said:
That about sums it up.
Rick Mercer is tasteless, especially when he is doing his 'talking with Americans' pieces, but I have yet to see him throw sand at the families of fallen soldiers and blatantly laugh at them for giving their lives.

Again, Ignorance VS Sacrifice

Oddball

Mercer hasn't, but others on the CBC have. Both networks are utter garbage, the only time I watch the CBC is for HNIC.

I'm still with recceguy, the moral indignation rings hollow considering that you are defending Mercer and his ilk who have rubbed dirt in the eyes of Americans before on issues that they consider near and dear. He without sin...

Kudos!!  It's better than I could muster leroi.  Everytime I thought about it, all I could manage was FOAD.  I am not eloquent when I'm angry.  Satire or not - it was in grievously poor taste.

Yes Piper, I totally agree with both you and recceguy, it's not right when the CBC and others in Canada do it to the Americans either. :nod:

I write letters to them too! ;D

well done leroi, that letter was well written. There was just one part that I would change.

""...but don't insult the soldiers who've sacrificed their lives to protect America from another Nine-Eleven."

Canadian soldiers are not fighting to protect America from another 9/11. They fight to protect Canada and defend Canadian values and beliefs. The interests may be aligned with Americans but Canadian soldiers do not fight for America. It's a technicality but I think it's very important.

logairoff said:
well done leroi, that letter was well written. There was just one part that I would change.

""...but don't insult the soldiers who've sacrificed their lives to protect America from another Nine-Eleven."

Canadian soldiers are not fighting to protect America from another 9/11. They fight to protect Canada and defend Canadian values and beliefs. The interests may be aligned with Americans but Canadian soldiers do not fight for America. It's a technicality but I think it's very important.

Agreed logairoff. It is an important distinction. :yellow:

Piper said:
Mercer hasn't, but others on the CBC have. Both networks are utter garbage, the only time I watch the CBC is for HNIC.

I'm still with recceguy, the moral indignation rings hollow considering that you are defending Mercer and his ilk who have rubbed dirt in the eyes of Americans before on issues that they consider near and dear. He without sin...

I would say you and I are pretty much on the same page. Even though Idon't think Iwas defending Mercer while criticizing him. We word it differently, but we've got the same basic point of view.
Both are tasteless, albeit in different styles. 

I personally don't watch much TV at all. It is all predictable the same, or has someones personal agenda in it. Besides, by the time I get home from work the only shows on TV are either like this one, or some 70 year old who likes leather straps and chaps.

:cheers:

Oddball     

Having had the good luck to work with American forces overseas, and having one or two friends from south of the border, I've defended them from unfounded attacks from ill informed cretins. I've also argued and stronly disagreed with Yanks even on this site, but that is normal. I have to admit though, I am guilty of a secret shame. Having laughed uproariously at "Talking to Americans!"

However, even though I know that Greg Gutfeld represents the worst in anyone from any country, I still had to write a short e-mail to Red Eye letting him know what I felt of his skit.

Paddy

What a bunch of ingorant a**holes. Idiotboy can't even pronounce LGen Leslie's rank properly either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back