• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to break up an Admiral

Kalatzi

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
From Al Nofi's CIC reproduced under the fair dealings provision of teh copyright act

How to Break Up an Admiral

John Cronyn Tovey (1885-1971), known  as “Jack” to many, had a long and honorable career in the Royal Navy, joining as a cadet in 1900 and rising to Admiral of the Fleet before retiring in 1946, after many adventures and sea fights, among the them the pursuit and sinking of the Bismarck in May of 1941.  Although a rather stern-looking sea dog, like many other British naval officers Tovey had a tremendous sense of humor, as illustrated by an incident that occurred in 1938.

After having been on the waiting list for several years, Tovey had just been promoted to rear admiral, and by chance encountered a very green recruit of the Royal Navy Reserve, who failed to salute,

Annoyed by this sign of disrespect, Tovey addressed the man, “You! Why didn’t you salute me?”

“I’m awfully sorry sir, I didn’t see you.”

“Do you know what these rings on my sleeve mean?” snapped the admiral

“Yes sir!  They mean that you are the lowest form of admiral” came the swift reply.

At that, Tovey, “collapsed laughing” according to one observer, and, after he had recovered his equanimity, sent the sailor on his way with a gentle reminder to pay more attention to people’s rank in the future.

BookNotes:  Tovey oddly lacks a proper biography, though his best work is discussed in James P. Levy’s The Royal Navy's Home Fleet in World War II (Studies in Military & Strategic History) (2004), BISMARCK: The Final Days of Germany's Greatest Battleship , by Niklas Zetterling & Michael Tamelander (2009), and James Crossley’s BISMARCK: THE EPIC CHASE: The Sinking of the German Menace (2010).

Kalatzi said:
“I’m awfully sorry sir, I didn’t see you.”

“Do you know what these rings on my sleeve mean?” snapped the admiral

“Yes sir!  They mean that you are the lowest form of admiral” came the swift reply.

Oh, you now owe me a new monitor and a cup of coffee.

That is excellent lol If I had a coffee I think I would have ruined a keyboard!

Well done.  MP coming your way.

Back