• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How many LG-1s are in service with the reserves? And where?

sharki9876

New Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I'm asking because I couldn't find this info online.

Also, I'm planning on joining the reserves (artillery) in BC, and I want to know if the C3 will still be there in the next couple years?

Thank you,

Philip
 

sharki9876

New Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
No, because I am currently out of the country and unable to ask a recruiter this question.
 

krimynal

Sr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
here is what I hear from my PRes Arty unit.

And remember I'm only a small Gunner ... so What do I really know ?



More and more people are going to the mortar side of things.  From what I've heard from different SGT and MBDR , we are going to become some small mortar unit.

The C3 is still used tho , from what I've heard , the weapon techs wouldn't really repair it nowadays.  Basically you use it and hope it doesn't break.  Is this true ? I doubt it , but we never know.

As far as LG-1s , I've never used them so I wouldn't know.



Keep in mind. These are not Official Statement , these are simply thing that I've heard and spoke to with some member of my CoC...
 

The Bread Guy

Army.ca Relic
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
45
Points
630
sharki9876 said:
No, because I am currently out of the country and unable to ask a recruiter this question.
I stand to be corrected, but I wouldn't worry about what hardware may or may not be in a unit you may or may not be accepted into this early in the process.
 

sharki9876

New Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Right, well I'm fairly pumped about this, and even if it takes me a year or two, I'll keep trying.
And, please educate me if otherwise, but it's not that hard to get into the reserves, is it? I'm hoping the vast majority of people that stick to it and don't give up will eventually get their phone call?  :bullet:

 

Bzzliteyr

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I'm still trying to figure out what the type of equipment they have or whether or not you are in the country to ask that is pertinent to you joining?

"I want to join"
"Awesome, here's the paperwork"
"But do they have LG-1s?"
"No"
"Oh, you can keep the paperwork, I'll go work at McDonald's instead"

That's what I am picturing in my head.
 

sharki9876

New Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Bzzliteyr said:
I'm still trying to figure out what the type of equipment they have or whether or not you are in the country to ask that is pertinent to you joining?

"I want to join"
"Awesome, here's the paperwork"
"But do they have LG-1s?"
"No"
"Oh, you can keep the paperwork, I'll go work at McDonald's instead"

That's what I am picturing in my head.

Thank you for your input.
 

The Bread Guy

Army.ca Relic
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
45
Points
630
sharki9876 said:
Right, well I'm fairly pumped about this, and even if it takes me a year or two, I'll keep trying.
And, please educate me if otherwise, but it's not that hard to get into the reserves, is it? I'm hoping the vast majority of people that stick to it and don't give up will eventually get their phone call?  :bullet:
Given how many factors go into a "you're in" vs. a "you're not" decision, nobody (in their right mind) on a public forum is going to predict your chances of getting in, one way or another. 

Persistence (short of criminal harassment/stalking), balanced with patience, are virtues.  Still, the only way to find out if you can get in is to start the process.  If you can't do that while you're out country, you'll have to wait until you're back in country.

Best of luck.
 

Petard

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
0
Points
360
There are 28 LG1's in service: 1 is used for training weapon technicians, one is used as test bed for different purposes, and 2 are used for salute purposes in St John's.  The remaining 2 dozen are used in the Artillery School and the Primary Reserve Artillery units in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.

All other Reserve Artillery units, including the two in BC, use the C3 and 81mm mortars.  The C3 is on very shaky legs, they were recently prohibited from live fire again, so the future of them is not clear. The C3 remains the main gun Reserve Arty training is based on, with mortar training being secondary. 

Certainly within the next few years there is an operational reason to keep the C3s around; they're used for doing avalanche control in Rogers Pass. There are some alternatives to using the C3s for avalanche control, technically it's not that easy to switch over to another weapon system, and though it can be done it won't be cheap.

Both BC Arty units routinely augment the Regular Force Detachments that deploy to Rogers pass. Primary Reserve Arty units are also expected to fill out the many gaps in the Regular Force Artillery units, should they deploy operationally. During the height of Afghanistan campaign, Reservists made up 25-30% of the gunners deploying

IMO, it is a worthwhile investment of your time.
Good luck 

 

MilEME09

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
160
Points
680
For what its worth the new(ish now) PRes weapons tech training program will run its first 105 howitzer course in the coming years, with course content being planned for either the C3 or the LG1 (with a overall 105 howitzer qualification being granted at the end). No idea what will determine which gets trained on but the plan is there for both options.
 

sharki9876

New Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
MilEME09 said:
For what its worth the new(ish now) PRes weapons tech training program will run its first 105 howitzer course in the coming years, with course content being planned for either the C3 or the LG1 (with a overall 105 howitzer qualification being granted at the end). No idea what will determine which gets trained on but the plan is there for both options.

Sorry this probably sounds stupid, but are you saying that weapons techs are getting trained to use 105's? How is this different from the training any other gunner gets?
 

MilEME09

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
160
Points
680
sharki9876 said:
Sorry this probably sounds stupid, but are you saying that weapons techs are getting trained to use 105's? How is this different from the training any other gunner gets?

Ever broken one down to the nuts and bolts? And getting maintenance quals on 105 Is new for PRes tech's
 

sharki9876

New Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
MilEME09 said:
Ever broken one down to the nuts and bolts?

Haven't had the pleasure.

MilEME09 said:
And getting maintenance quals on 105 Is new for PRes tech's

This is interesting to me, because I've read that since the C3s are on their way out, they're not receiving as much maintenance as before. Unless you're referring to LG-1  maintenance..
 

MilEME09

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
160
Points
680
sharki9876 said:
This is interesting to me, because I've read that since the C3s are on their way out, they're not receiving as much maintenance as before. Unless you're referring to LG-1  maintenance..

I wouldn't be surprised, there was talk we wouldn't be taught C3 cause its on its way out. As of right now there is a plan to teach both the C3 and the LG-1, no idea why and no idea what will decide which one is taught
 

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
419
Points
880
the C3 were being examined for muzzle cracks where the muzzle brake attaches. 15th Fd has 4 last time I saw them. Of course we could rebuild the 3x 25pdrs as there seems to be ammunition for them and they currently being used by the Kurds against ISIS.


http://pof.gov.pk/products/Artillery_Ammunition/QF_25_PDR_MK_2/1/6/

 

Ralph

Member
Reaction score
7
Points
180
sharki9876 said:
Haven't had the pleasure.

This is interesting to me, because I've read that since the C3s are on their way out, they're not receiving as much maintenance as before. Unless you're referring to LG-1  maintenance..

Where did you read that?
 
Top