• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How long will the process be? (Naval Reserves)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GettingStarted

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all :) I am 16.  Thursday I finally, after a year of reflection and deciding that this is what I want to do, went to my local Naval reserve unit and spoke to a recruiter. I went on a tour, asked a lot of questions and was simply blown away by everything I saw. This is definitely something I want to do with my life. Anyway, I had a 2 hour conversation with the recruiter, one of the things he told me was that the process would take probably 6 months. So, if I were to apply by say next week I would be in for roughly January. However, looking around online I'm seeing posts of guys saying they've been waiting for MONTHS on end and still nothing.  Basically, I'm 16, I have no debt, I live with my parents obviously, and don't have any credit cards. I have no criminal convictions, I have all the required credits needed, and other than a mild case of TMJ that doesn't effect my daily life  that isn't even diagnosed I'm as fit and healthy as a horse. I know all the steps involved in applying to the forces, but I am wondering if I really will get in by January? Will the process go by faster based on the fact that I am younger with less life experience and therefore less "clutter" to sort through? Also, the recruiter took down my email on Thursday and said he'd be emailing me later that night with all the steps I would need to take to apply online e.g, however I never received the email. I understand he is a busy man and I don't expect them to get back to me lickety split, but do you think I will eventually get an email? I was going to follow up on Wednesday regardless of whether I get an email or not. Also, when applying with the online application do you apply to a specific branch of the Military? When you pick your three top jobs could I say pick Boatswain, Naval Communications, and an army trade? Sorry if this is all over the place, and sorry if this has been asked before, I understand my case isn't special and a lot of you have probably seen this before  :p I'm just slightly anxious and eager to begin the process so naturally I have a lot of questions. If you took the time to read all of this, thank you. And thank you in advance for any input and advice you may have.

Cheers,

Alex

GettingStarted said:
Anyway, I had a 2 hour conversation with the recruiter, one of the things he told me was that the process would take probably 6 months.

Your Recruiter would know best.

As mariomike said, talk with your NRD Recruiter.
It seems many people ask questions on this site thinking the recruiter is some type of an ogre, who is scary or ready to "mess with your career". In reality, the recruiter is there to attract and enroll suitable recruits into the CAF and part of that goal is to answer your questions.

This is a privately owned website that happens to have many current members. While any information you find here might be useful, the most accurate (official) information is directly from your recruiter.

As for picking a trade.
If you are applying to a reserve unit, your three trades should be those trades that are available at that unit.
Following your question as the example, the first two would be OK, but the last choice for an army trade would not be accepted simply because the unit you are appling to does not have any army trades in it.
If you want a "job" with an army trade, you might want to apply to an army reserve unit.

Being eager, anxious and interested in opening new opportunities is natural. This site is a wonderful resource, when used correctly.
Search, read and pause before posting the first thing that comes to mind will help you and others who might be in the same situation.

Once you are enrolled, Good Luck on your training and enjoy the experience.

Being eager, anxious and interested in opening new opportunities is natural. This site is a wonderful resource, when used correctly.
Search, read and pause before posting the first thing that comes to mind will help you and others who might be in the same situation.

This.

There are probably dozens if not hundreds of threads on this site which will undoubtedly answer 99% of your questions.

Best of luck in your journey.

The "Search" function is your friend, locking this one up.

Army.ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back