• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How Long Did You Wait?

S8W7

Inactive
Reaction score
I figured this would be the best place to ask this question, as information posted in reply will be fresher than the other areas of the board.

So, how long did you have to wait for each step of the application process? Is there anything regarding your application that slowed you down? Sped the process up?

Thanks so much!

Nobody knows.
It depends of a  lot of things:
trades, local CFRC,how you are lucky etc.
Don't count time - it doesn't help.It can be from 6 months to 2 years or more.It is good time to prepare yourself - physically , mentally.

The process affects certain career and education decisions that will be made in the near future, so it would be nice to get a rough ballpark. If the generally recognized minimum is about six months, then I can work with that. Thanks.

Also, I have no intentions of wasting any time! I've been reading a lot of stories on here and I'm continually inspired to do my very best.

Me it has taken like one month to process and get an offer. But my case don't count because I had apply in reserve before and all my info were up to date so I only had to do the interview.

Pointless question to ask.....everyone is very different.

Case in point, I applied on a Friday, interview/medical on Tuesday, sworn in on Thursday and left for BMQ on Sat.

Your application will take as long as it takes.  That sucks to hear, I know, but unfourtunately these days it's reality.

I know it depends like everyone else says on a lot of things, is your trade open and how well you did on all your tests and that.  I waited from the day I walked in to the day I swore in was 7 months , my brother waited 5 months.  I know one guy was 2 years but he wanted fire fighter which from what I hear is really hard to get into.

I applied in October 2011.  CFAT, medical and interview more than a year later - Nov 5, 2012.  I got my offer Dec 13, 2012.  No two applications are alike.  If you have a family member living outside of Canada, it may delay your application somewhat - I have a step-sister in the States, but I can't say that it delayed mine all that much.

You just have to put on your patience hat and hang in there!

Good luck to you!!

MedTech Hopeful said:
I applied in October 2011.  CFAT, medical and interview more than a year later - Nov 5, 2012.  I got my offer Dec 13, 2012.  No two applications are alike.  If you have a family member living outside of Canada, it may delay your application somewhat - I have a step-sister in the States, but I can't say that it delayed mine all that much.

You just have to put on your patience hat and hang in there!

Good luck to you!!

My application timeline was almost the same, except I applied in August 2011. A lot of people are getting processed now because there are a lot of openings for 2013 so a lot will depend on that. My application was competitive in all steps, but the job I applied for was not hiring so a lot will depend on what jobs you apply for, and turnover. On that note, if I were you I would apply sooner than later.

As mentioned by many others...  Waiting is part of the process, and it's different process for everyone.
I walked into the recruiting center in summer 2010, and graduated BMQ in November 2012.

It's also important to remember that you will wait for many courses / postings / opportunities after BMQ.
Currently, I wait for my QL3 (I've been told February).  After that...  more waiting.

Patience and Resilience

10 months for me from online application to BMQ. I suppose the only thing you can do to ensure the process isn't slowed down is to make sure all info is correct and up to date on your application. Everything else is probably out of your control.

I did my online app in mid-Oct, CFAT 2 days later, med the following week, Interview Nov 2nd. had an issue with my credit that slowed my app a bit. Received a job offer Nov 17th and I swear in Jan 9th and depart Jan 19th.

It's been about 3 months for me. I applied to the reserves at the beginning of September.  I did my CFAT in October, interview and medical in November and PT test at the beginning of this month. Just waiting for the call now to swear in etc.  For the reserves it seems that you just have to know the right time to apply. I.E September for January start and March for September start.

If you wear glasses, they might make you fill out an Opticians form. However, this didn't slow my app down but it could for you. So if you can get it, go get a copy of your eye prescription BEFORE your medical.

7 year crusade for me.

Once CFAT was complete , I did my interview and medical 4 days later. Awaiting the final stage now . 

skyhigh10 said:
7 year crusade for me.

Once CFAT was complete , I did my interview and medical 4 days later. Awaiting the final stage now .

i don't post much but hearing this i have to commend you on your patience and personal drive. Damn seven years, really ? That is real dedication dude keep it up  :salute:

I'm currently going through the recruitment process and while length of time from initial application to enrollment in BMQ varies greatly from applicant to applicant, I'll tell you a little about my personal experience. I've found these forums terrific for gaining insight on practically everything--I figure the more info one can read in terms of any question one might have, the better.

I actually originally started the hiring process back in 2006, but after meeting with a local recruiter I was somewhat disheartened and knew I wasn't ready, in either life experience or maturity in general.  I submitted an online application again in October of last year.

Everything was relatively quiet for a while, since I applied when most trades were either already closed or nearing the end of their specific hiring cycles. I applied Navy, but my trade of choice is MP (Military Police).  I made a few calls here and there just to see how my application was moving along (had it been reviewed, etc.), because there weren't any changes on my status via internet. (This being said, I lived and worked overseas, as well as had family who lived and worked overseas--this can greatly hold things up while your presec is being completed and you're getting cleared.)

Things started happening slowly in April of this year (April is the start of a new fiscal year, so that's generally when job/trade availability opens up) and eventually my CFAT/medical/interview and subsequent merit-listing for my trade in October were completed.

That brings us to now, where I'm currently waiting to be selected/contacted for an MPAC (Military Police Assessment Centre) session. (This is a stage that applicants wishing to become MPs wait to go through.)
I could be waiting for a while given the volume of applicants for this particular trade--It all comes down to how I stack up against my competition.

What job you want can make all the difference, but there are several variables that make up the length of time from initial application to offer of employment.  If you're thinking of applying or already have, just be prepared to go several days/weeks, maybe even months without hearing anything at all. It's a good idea to find out where your application is (primarily the early stages of applying) and getting the name of your file manager once it's been assigned.  I called about once a month or so to see if there were any updates, or to ask questions I may have had along the way.

So, to sum up, it's been over a year for me and I haven't made it to Basic Training yet--and it could still be months until I do.  Hopefully you're doing something to sustain you for a while, because it's rarely a speedy process, from what I understand--sometimes, but not often.  You'll read repeatedly that people advise you to use the time wisely, be patient and work on you in the mean-time. I've lost 25lbs, have started running races and am spending quality time with family when at all possible, so I'm enjoying the time. Don't get me wrong, it can be frustrating, but good things are worth waiting for... :nod:

Brandontp said:
i don't post much but hearing this i have to commend you on your patience and personal drive. Damn seven years, really ? That is real dedication dude keep it up  :salute:

I appreciate it. The situation is somewhat complex but it took a long time to break through. The idea that recruiting is only 5% of the challenge up the ladder makes it that much more interesting.  Though once that breakthrough happened, things unfolded within one week. I was debating to write my story in the personal stories section to entice others to pursue their dreams. Once all is said and done I think I will.

I know it's tough for some to respect candidates who have a goal and will do anything to achieve it. 
:salute:

Thanks for your kind words

I applied in April 2012. I have some medical stuff to take care of and will reapply this April.
I found to do the CFAT and security interview it went fast. As did the medical.
It was waiting on Borden that took some time.
Like I have read, it all depends on the trade you apply for. The availability of it, and your personal work history, and where you have lived.

Shuck10 said:
I actually originally started the hiring process back in 2006, but after meeting with a local recruiter I was somewhat disheartened and knew I wasn't ready, in either life experience or maturity in general.  I submitted an online application again in October of last year.
Talk about determination! ;) Way to go.

Shuck10 said:
That brings us to now, where I'm currently waiting to be selected/contacted for an MPAC (Military Police Assessment Centre) session. (This is a stage that applicants wishing to become MPs wait to go through.)
I could be waiting for a while given the volume of applicants for this particular trade--It all comes down to how I stack up against my competition.

What job you want can make all the difference, but there are several variables that make up the length of time from initial application to offer of employment.  If you're thinking of applying or already have, just be prepared to go several days/weeks, maybe even months without hearing anything at all. It's a good idea to find out where your application is (primarily the early stages of applying) and getting the name of your file manager once it's been assigned.  I called about once a month or so to see if there were any updates, or to ask questions I may have had along the way.
Great advice here.  Making sure you have a reference point of someone you can contact makes all the difference.
Keeping on top of things.
I am happy to read you are applying for something specific and are holding out for it. Most of all, that after all this time you are still going for it. It's yours my friend. It's yours. Just a matter of time.

Shuck10 said:
use the time wisely, be patient and work on you in the mean-time. I've lost 25lbs, have started running races and am spending quality time with family

That's all we can do. You're eager to get in, now that you've finally decided and committed to joining. Of course it will be frustrating but at the same time it's going to be soo rewarding to reach our goal!
Bravo on the getting healthier and fit cos you're going to need it once you are in basic. lol Love to talk about your races and training sometime.

Thanks again for the encouraging words Shuck. Determination, Dedication, Devotion, Development, Desire. It's ours just drop and roll with the obstacles.

:2c: :salute:

Back