• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How Important is Cadets for RMC Application?

Phantomman said:
Going into Grade 11 :) Two years your junior I assume. I got two more years to make my application more competitive

There are plenty of officers and RMC graduates in the CF who were never cadets.  Unless you have a burning desire to be a cadet, I wouldn't bother.  For one thing, starting out as cadet in the 11th grade in the same class as all the Grade 7s (i.e. no advanced placement for age) would be a bit frustrating, which could reflect in your performance (i.e. you might not react favourably to the instructions issued by a corporal or sergeant who is younger than you - I'm not saying that you personally won't have the maturity to deal with that, but it can be an issue)* .  I would say having no cadet experience would be better than bad cadet experience (as the CFRC may ask your Cadet CO for a reference.

As a former cadet myself, I can say that the Canadian Cadet Organizations are wonderful and have a lot to offer, but they are not the be-all and end-all of  future military service.

*PS:  There is always the possibility of younger folks being superior in rank to older folks and that is just something everyone has to live with.  However, the level of maturity that is experienced and expected in order to deal with this is much higher in the CF than in cadets

Pusser said:
There are plenty of officers and RMC graduates in the CF who were never cadets.  Unless you have a burning desire to be a cadet, I wouldn't bother.  For one thing, starting out as cadet in the 11th grade in the same class as all the Grade 7s (i.e. no advanced placement for age) would be a bit frustrating, which could reflect in your performance (i.e. you might not react favourably to the instructions issued by a corporal or sergeant who is younger than you - I'm not saying that you personally won't have the maturity to deal with that, but it can be an issue)* .  I would say having no cadet experience would be better than bad cadet experience (as the CFRC may ask your Cadet CO for a reference.

As a former cadet myself, I can say that the Canadian Cadet Organizations are wonderful and have a lot to offer, but they are not the be-all and end-all of  future military service.

*PS:  There is always the possibility of younger folks being superior in rank to older folks and that is just something everyone has to live with.  However, the level of maturity that is experienced and expected in order to deal with this is much higher in the CF than in cadets

I am not planning on going to cadets, because I don't have the time. My schedule is jam-packed already. :)

Thanks for explaining though.

Back