• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How hard is it to be assigned to a specific base?

Like what others have said..
If you do not want to go overseas, do not go into the Forces, unless you're in the reserves..

MapleTree said:
Thanks for the information, could you describe a day as a Logistic officer? That is exactly what I want to get into. I know we are getting a bit off topic, but could you answer a few things?

Are Logistic officer just as likely to be sent abroad? Do you have to except? What is family life like when you are sent or moved often? What kind of work week does a Logistic officer get? I don't mind speaking in Private Chat so I don't high jack the original thread topic.

No worries. I will direct you to the recruiting website as they have occupation info, and you might do a search on this forum. The reason is because you asked me an impossible question!  There is land, sea, and air logistics. All three are unique in how they employ LogOs. In addition log has specialties - fin, HR, transport, movements, supply, and foods. But here is some generic info:
•we always deploy. My operator friends are lovely people but need beans and bullets at some point.
•you typically do as you are told. So the easy answer is you have no choice but to deploy. My overriding question is why wouldn't you want to?  It is what we do.
•being apart from your family sucks. The mbr has it easy as we work like crazy, but our families have the hard part. My daughter is usually tough for 4 weeks but then she starts to miss me.  Bandwidth when deployed determines how and how often you can contact home.
•moving?  Others have heard me say this before - my daughter will turn 10 in her 6th house and attend grade 5 in her 4th school.
•regardless of being transport, HR, etc, the work is fundamentally the same - you manage people and resources; you problem solve; you lead people and organizations; you turn commander's intent into actions that create results; you research and interpret policy; you try to jam a ton of crap into a single sock, etc....  You have to know how to work with people and make miracles happen.

I enjoy my work and I have had diverse employment. But I fundamentally like the military lifestyle.

Keep asking questions. We are always looking for good people, but so many come to the CF with unrealistic expectations.

Cheers

I have a similar concern as the OP...
I'm just about to finish BMQ and would like to be posted back home, the thing is my mother is on disability and has chronic kidney failure and will be going through dialysis/kidney transplant and has a few other health concerns. I've indicated this on my posting preference form and was wondering if they do take these things seriously. As my mother's only available NoK I'm a little concerned that I might not get the posting to Winnipeg that I want and will consequently have to VR just to be there for her. Is a family members health a big enough concern to get my first posting preference. It's a posting restriction, but I'm not sure how this all works, any insight is useful.

holieee said:
I have a similar concern as the OP...
I'm just about to finish BMQ and would like to be posted back home, the thing is my mother is on disability and has chronic kidney failure and will be going through dialysis/kidney transplant and has a few other health concerns. I've indicated this on my posting preference form and was wondering if they do take these things seriously. As my mother's only available NoK I'm a little concerned that I might not get the posting to Winnipeg that I want and will consequently have to VR just to be there for her. Is a family members health a big enough concern to get my first posting preference. It's a posting restriction, but I'm not sure how this all works, any insight is useful.
I don't know what trade you're going into, but I would hope it is one that at least is found in Winnipeg.  What I mean there is if you're going hard Navy, or Armoured crewman, you're not going to go to Winnipeg, no matter how much you ask.  If you are in a purple trade such as admin clerk or supply, then the odds go up.  If the trade has an opening coming up for a Pte admin clerk in Winnipeg, and you're the only one off your basic course that wants to go there, then chances are high you'll get the spot. 
Just manage your expectations.  You're brand new, and the CAF wants to send you where they need you.  That comes first.  IF they can fit the member's desires into the equation, they will - but not at the expense of leaving a hole somewhere else that is of a higher priority.

GPComd said:
I don't know what trade you're going into, but I would hope it is one that at least is found in Winnipeg.  What I mean there is if you're going hard Navy, or Armoured crewman, you're not going to go to Winnipeg, no matter how much you ask.  If you are in a purple trade such as admin clerk or supply, then the odds go up.  If the trade has an opening coming up for a Pte admin clerk in Winnipeg, and you're the only one off your basic course that wants to go there, then chances are high you'll get the spot. 
Just manage your expectations.  You're brand new, and the CAF wants to send you where they need you.  That comes first.  IF they can fit the member's desires into the equation, they will - but not at the expense of leaving a hole somewhere else that is of a higher priority.

Oh. I should have mentioned I'm a dental tech. Last night I found a job ad for a dental tech civi position for cfb Winnipeg and I'm hoping that that's an indication that they have room there. I really need to be there for my mum and this is a huge concern of mine and I'm not sure what to do.

Sometimes they hire civ as there are not enough uniforms. Just because you are in uniform and Wpg has a hole does not mean you are going there. There is a plan for you.

WRT not sure what to do, you always need a plan B. Are you saying the if you do not get Wpg you will get out?  I am not sure I would have chosen the CAF (which employs people globally) if Wpg was my only option as a posting. That said, hope all goes well for you and your mom.

PAdm said:
Sometimes they hire civ as there are not enough uniforms. Just because you are in uniform and Wpg has a hole does not mean you are going there. There is a plan for you.

WRT not sure what to do, you always need a plan B. Are you saying the if you do not get Wpg you will get out?  I am not sure I would have chosen the CAF (which employs people globally) if Wpg was my only option as a posting. That said, hope all goes well for you and your mom.

This was not my original plan. When I had applied- even when I started bmq, this wasn't an issue, but circumstances change with family members and I can only hope for the best.
Thank you for the input, though.

Back