• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How hard is it to be assigned to a specific base?

Hexx

Inactive
Reaction score
I completely understand that the priorities of the CF are more important than mine, and that I can be assigned anywhere.
If however I really don't care what MOC I'm in, are there certain ones that would allow (for example) a better chance of assignment to CFB Kingston (where I have friends/family)?

Thanks in advance for any information or direction you can provide.

Any trade with a Jimmy cap badge(communications) is likely to get you to Kingston from time to time.  However, I would not bet on being posted to Kingston for the majority of your career.

If I were to go to RMC and graduate as an infantry officer, would I be stationed back where I live near Edmonton?

brianl1734 said:
If I were to go to RMC and graduate as an infantry officer, would I be stationed back where I live near Edmonton?

Quick answer? You have a 2 in 9 chance. There are nine infantry battalions, and two are in Edmonton.

In practical terms,  as an Infantry Officer, although your first posting will be to a battalion, you can expect to spend less than half of your career in one of those nine battalions.  Moving from unit to unit every few years is part of the job. Some of those postings will be moves within the same base -- many/most postings will require you to pack up and move.

Thanks for the information! I hope I don't get moved around too much.

Thanks,
Brian

Totally understand. Geographical concerns regarding postings, but assignments vary by trade quite a bit.  High performers on ql3 usually are rewarded with choice of postings available,  but you never know. Best bet is to research yor trade, and accept that your least preferred choice may be what you get.  Do your best, make the most of the experience and hope for a better assignment later on.  Staying close to mom, or girlfriends job,    or whatever life issues dictate your  Posting preferences you generally can plead your case on course and hope for the best.    I got lucky that I was allowed to trade with someone so we both got what we wanted. 
We had to write. A memo week 2 or 3. With our choices and our branch chief did his best to accomodate us. 

My daughter will turn 10 yrs old in her 6th house and enter grade 5 in her 4th school.  Good luck with the posting to a specific base to be near friends and family...... :salute:

6 different houses in 10 years? Your daughter must have the same career manager as me!

Doesn't everyone else change units every year and change geographical locations every other year?

Ostrozac said:
6 different houses in 10 years? Your daughter must have the same career manager as me!

Doesn't everyone else change units every year and change geographical locations every other year?

You mean there is an option??  I have consumed too much "you need to be mobile" cool aid. Or maybe I just cannot hold a job ;).

Ostrozac said:

Sounds like my CM.  About to move the 4th time in 7 years...

brianl1734 said:

As I was going through my interview for infantry, the interviewer asked me which regiment I would prefer, and I said PPCLI due to me living in BC, just closer, however its only a preference. After, she stated that you go wherever they place you.. however, a preference is good to have. I'd be happy to go wherever I am placed. It all depends on the Forces' needs; wherever they put you, you'll go.

Thanks B.Dias! I don't really care where I'd be placed. Thanks for the information.

Thanks,
Brian

What about going overseas? I am fine going where the army needs me but I prefer to work in Canada instead like operations such as the middle east. I heard they can't send you overseas if you don't agree. Is that true? If you don't agree to go overseas, will you get fired or affects your chances to make captain in four years after 2nd LT?

If you aren't willing to go overseas, then you should pick a different career.

The reason is because my family and friends aren't supporting me in joining the CF. I want to apply for Logistics Officer and my family are all against it because they believe I will be deployed somewhere high risk and die. I understand their concern and I just want to get some useful information for them. I didn't expect I would be criticized for asking something like that.

MapleTree said:
The reason is because my family and friends aren't supporting me in joining the CF. I want to apply for Logistics Officer and my family are all against it because they believe I will be deployed somewhere high risk and die. I understand their concern and I just want to get some useful information for them. I didn't expect I would be criticized for asking something like that.

Regular force or reserves? Cannot comment on regular force, but in reserves you do not have to deploy. In fact most of my friends in the reserves never deployed.

MapleTree said:

Fair question so I will not rant. I appreciate where you are coming from. Family/friend support helps build the broader military family.  I am being very delicate so far...

The military is a brilliant career choice for the right people. What we learn in country is simply marking time for life overseas. Deployments are where we in the military truly separate ourselves from the general population.  We live to deploy. My last deployment saw me on a plane just 24 hrs after getting a phone call.  You need to have a serious " unlimited liability" discussion with friends/family. It is what we signed up for.

What are the chances of being killed?? I will insult many on this forum with comment and I do not wish to offend. So I will say many deploy and few are killed/injured. While this is still a massive stat as one is too many, it is not Vietnam. People die in the military or are injured just as police/fire/construction workers are killed or injured in the line of duty. I am not sure why people think we are more risk prone. We do indeed go into harms way, but we are well trained. Better us trained and expecting a fight than some little kid killed at the Boston Marathon just at the wrong place.  I would better my chances as a CF Mbr coming home safe day after day (evens Log guy like me) than being a Toronto cop or firefighter.

Bless you for standing tall. Take strength in a complex support network called the CF.  We get you. Those not in uniform will not get it so just accept it. Queen and county is not just a saying - it means something to us. Go overseas as standing tall on foreign soil is what Canada asked is what we do.

Keep the faith. Let us know how you are doing. Cheers,

PAdm said:
Fair question so I will not rant. I appreciate where you are coming from. Family/friend support helps build the broader military family.  I am being very delicate so far...

The military is a brilliant career choice for the right people. What we learn in country is simply marking time for life overseas. Deployments are where we in the military truly separate ourselves from the general population.  We live to deploy. My last deployment saw me on a plane just 24 hrs after getting a phone call.  You need to have a serious " unlimited liability" discussion with friends/family. It is what we signed up for.

What are the chances of being killed?? I will insult many on this forum with comment and I do not wish to offend. So I will say many deploy and few are killed/injured. While this is still a massive stat as one is too many, it is not Vietnam. People die in the military or are injured just as police/fire/construction workers are killed or injured in the line of duty. I am not sure why people think we are more risk prone. We do indeed go into harms way, but we are well trained. Better us trained and expecting a fight than some little kid killed at the Boston Marathon just at the wrong place.  I would better my chances as a CF Mbr coming home safe day after day (evens Log guy like me) than being a Toronto cop or firefighter.

Bless you for standing tall. Take strength in a complex support network called the CF.  We get you. Those not in uniform will not get it so just accept it. Queen and county is not just a saying - it means something to us. Go overseas as standing tall on foreign soil is what Canada asked is what we do.

Keep the faith. Let us know how you are doing. Cheers,

Thanks for the information, could you describe a day as a Logistic officer? That is exactly what I want to get into. I know we are getting a bit off topic, but could you answer a few things?

Are Logistic officer just as likely to be sent abroad? Do you have to except? What is family life like when you are sent or moved often? What kind of work week does a Logistic officer get? I don't mind speaking in Private Chat so I don't high jack the original thread topic.

Back