• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How can I improve my chances at getting into the ROTP?

Horbay

Inactive
Reaction score
I recently applied to the ROTP for a pilot position. My application was rejected pretty much immediately (all I did was submit my transcripts) but I am still very determined to reapply.
I did not get the best grades in high school, (very random grades ranging from 50's to low 90's) but I am 27 now and am a recent graduate of the paramedic program for which I mostly got 80's. I could have done much better in both high school and college but the material did not challenge me and I took it lightly. (At this time I did not suspect that I would later pursue this path)
I am certified to work in Ontario as a paramedic and in the fall I will have my certification to work as a flight paramedic as well.
I understand that the program is very competitive academically, and I gather I will need to bolster my application with additional study.
I would like to take some university physics courses and get my civil pilots license in order to improve my chances next year.
If someone could offer some insight into what courses I could take online that the CAF would recognize, or suggest any other means of bolstering my application it would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to Army.ca, Horbay

I gather from your questions that you have yet to explore this Site and drink from the fountain of information contained herein. Please do so. Your questions have been discussed before, and there is no need to repeat answers. If you cannot find answers after an honest effort, somebody will be glad to help.

You will learn much more that way. Also, there are very few people who are permitted to respond in the "Ask a CAF Recruiter" forum. Asking questions that have been answered before puts a lot of unnecessary work on them.

Horbay said:
I recently applied to the ROTP for a pilot position. My application was rejected pretty much immediately (all I did was submit my transcripts) but I am still very determined to reapply.
I did not get the best grades in high school, (very random grades ranging from 50's to low 90's) but I am 27 now and am a recent graduate of the paramedic program for which I mostly got 80's. I could have done much better in both high school and college but the material did not challenge me and I took it lightly. (At this time I did not suspect that I would later pursue this path)
I am certified to work in Ontario as a paramedic and in the fall I will have my certification to work as a flight paramedic as well.
I understand that the program is very competitive academically, and I gather I will need to bolster my application with additional study.
I would like to take some university physics courses and get my civil pilots license in order to improve my chances next year.
If someone could offer some insight into what courses I could take online that the CAF would recognize, or suggest any other means of bolstering my application it would be greatly appreciated!

To become a Pilot requires a recognized University Degree and at the present time, I do believe that any type of Degree is "acceptable".  To do so through the ROTP Entry Plan and as a bare minimum you could pursue an Arts Degree which would require successful completion (or be in the process of completing) a grade 12 pre-university English/French course and a grade 11 Mathematics course where the math course is a prerequisite for pre-university high school mathematics courses.  A mark of 75% must have been achieved in both these courses.  You will also need an aggregate academic average of at least 75% overall to be considered.

Your best option and a good starting point would be to speak with a Recruiter from your local Recruiting Detachment to determine why your ROTP application was academically rejected and which courses you need to take or improve upon to be successful in a future application.  You might also want to consider speaking with them about CEOTP Pilot (Seneca College) to determine your eligibility status for that specific entry plan as well.  Academic results are your first step!  Obtaining a PPL will not help your application without already having met the academic entry standards.

Good luck!

Back