• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How B52's Tried Chasing The Russian Navy

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
Its an interesting article with some interesting bits like refueling over Canada and working with the Uk.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/how-b-52-bombers-tried-chase-russian-navy-72546

Hard to take him seriously when he describes chasing an HMS Ark Royal that didn't get launched until 5 years after he claims to have flown his mission.

In 1976, the Ark Royal was a conventional, catapault deck carrier. Not the Harrier Carrier...

Even more interesting is the almost cavalier attitude by someone with a great level of responsibility placed on him.  I wonder if Leone knew, or ever flew with Col Arthur ‘Bud’ Holland (famous, or more correctly infamous in the BUFF world)...seems like a similar mindset of operating the B-52 outside the envelope.

Regards
G2G

Good2Golf said:
. . .  I wonder if Leone knew, or ever flew with Col Arthur ‘Bud’ Holland (famous, or more correctly infamous in the BUFF world)...seems like a similar mindset of operating the B-52 outside the envelope.

"Leone" (Dario Leone - an Italian "aviation geek") is the blogger who wrote the article that is linked in the OP, but the writing is so atrocious that it would be easy to confuse whose voice is being used or what he is talking about - it's unclear if he is quoting from the book(s) that the BUFF pilot (Jay Lacklen) wrote or if he has even met Lacklen.  However in another Leone blog post, it seems that the following may be LCol (Ret'd) Lacklen's take on LCol Holland and his crash.
Bud Holland, Rogue Pilot

A B-52 pilot contemporary of mine, Bud Holland, provided the textbook of the dangers a rogue pilot can represent. Although it seems I should have known him, since we overlapped for several years in the SAC force in the late 1970s, I do not recall him. I had been about three years ahead of him in seniority.

. . .

But even though he has a less than favourable opinion about the flying antics of a "rogue" pilot, LCol (Ret'd) Lacklen was not without his own experiences in butting heads with USAF leadership.
https://www.stripes.com/news/af-officer-repeatedly-refuses-anthrax-shot-but-does-not-get-day-in-court-1.10222

You’re right, Blackadder; and that is ‘less than optimal’ writing style.  I had been thinking of Lacklen, who in one article notes he was 3 years ahead in seniority and hadn’t met Holland (which seems a bit odd, the BUFF community was/is fairly tight knit, and Holland’s antics were renowned.  I spoke with people who had personally witnessed Holland pull his B-52 up into a near vertical climb at an air show in Kamloops, BC wherein he apparently flames out one or two engines on the top push-over recovery.  Sad that the institution didn’t deal with him properly and his actions resulted in the death of him and three others, one of whom’s wife and children were present to celebrate the DComd’s retirement from the USAF.

Regards
G2G 

Back