• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How about forming a Reg Force Kilted Regiment

Interesting way to look at it with battalions of a regiment being broken down more, but I just can't see it headed in that direction.

Without the Reserve tribes I think we already would have gone to a much cheaper and easier system of numbered regiments like Australia has done.

Then it wouldn't be such a PITA to shift guys around to get them broader experience, and have them see more of the country.  Everyone could get their one posting in Valcartier, and the whole corps would be more bilingual.

On the note of ethnic segregation, other than the Rangers I can't ever see that happening in Canada.  Some would argue that there is already ethnic discrimination with the R22eR not accepting English people, but that's not the same as going back to the days of a Scot or black regiment.

I would be more curious to see what a multi-ethnic unit would end up like, similar to the FFL, but everyone I know who has experience there has told me they may have a good reputation but it's not earned and their performance is actually quite sub-par.

I've seen many more anglos serving in the R22eR than I have seen francos in the PPCLI or that other English Reg F infantry regiment.

And I would not underestimate the tribalism of the Regular Force inafntry regiments.  They can be even worse than their Reserve compatriots.

dapaterson said:
I've seen many more anglos serving in the R22eR than I have seen francos in the PPCLI or that other English Reg F infantry regiment.

See incoming PM for an explanation of how this has changed.

Newt said:
Instead of generating affinity by creating ethnic units we should be creating familiarity by being directly involved in the community. Get out of the armouries and demonstrate to new Canadians that the Canadian Forces are a valid and respectable organization. Is the local mosque organizing a food drive? Offer up an ML to transport food. Is the Sikh community centre preparing meals for a homeless shelter? Offer a field kitchen and some cooks (maybe the egg welders will learn some new recipes).

If interested in reaching out to the community, perhaps consider the Children's Breakfast Club.:
http://www.breakfastclubs.ca/whats.php

Redeye said:
A survey of the ranks of the Black Watch, the Argylls, the 48th, the Tor Scots, etc would reveal plenty of members whose ancestry lies anywhere but Scotland, but who are still borne of pride in their traditions.

I was covering the parade where the Calgary Highlanders and King's Own Calgary Regt each received new Queen's Colours/Guidons...the subaltern that received the Colour for the Highlanders was a Sikh, in his kilt, with his rifle green turban on his head.  That was something neat to see.

MM

a Sig Op said:
This is the origin of traditions.
No, that's just conditioned response.  Traditions are handed on, explained and cherished.

Technoviking said:
No, that's just conditioned response.  Traditions are handed on, explained and cherished.

I was more just thinking that the above was a metaphor of why people come to army.ca but eventually stop posting.

Petamocto said:
That's one word for it!

I've mellowed and matured in the last 20 odd years - my original thoughts were far from politically correct...or polite.

MM

Meh.

Here in BC where in Richmond the majority are Chinese and in Surrey where there are a lot of East Indians/Sikh's I could see some "Ethnic" units being formed up. Hell, there is an argument to be made that 12 SVC Bn/Coy is already an ethnically Chinese unit.

I would be more than happy to join a Sikh infantry unit.

Okay how about just getting rid of 3000 head office personnel and using those funds to get appropriate resource. shttp://forums.army.ca/forums/Smileys/Armyca/grin.gif

Crane Driver said:
Okay how about just getting rid of 3000 head office personnel and using those funds to get appropriate resource. shttp://forums.army.ca/forums/Smileys/Armyca/grin.gif

You know you've got 2 posts, and both take a shot at the puzzle palace workers. Obviously you have a bone to pick with the high numbers of staff people in Ottawa, so why not just start that topic, instead of throwing up a random post about Kilted RegF Infantry units to cover shots at NDHQ.

Crane Driver said:
Massive cuts to NDHQ and to the commands always sounds good on paper. The rub is who, or rather what functions, do you chop? Engineering, procurement, pay and pensions, force development, career management, how about intelligence or the loggies that try to keep ahead of the requirements or maybe the medical and dental staffs? A modern military force has a lot of complext functions that require people and there isn't a lot of wiggle room. There is fat and duplication, but bureaucracies have a survival instinct and a life of their own. A ten percent cut would just play havoc with orderly rooms and junior desk officers while the empires would still sail happily along. Even if the dotcoms were to be chopped, a step that might be nearer than we think, most of the positions would just migrate to another organization chart.

Better yet, just join a Reserve Highland Regiment.  We have three ethnically challenged regiments in the Reg Force Infantry already - we don't need a fourth. 

For the rest of you who are wondering WTF??? - R22eR: Largely Francophone; PPCLI: Largely Redneck ( ;) ); The RCR : a preponderance of Newfoundlanders and Maritimers which makes it difficult to communicate with either of the other 2 regiments (and their supporting units if they aren't from the areas aforementioned). 

On a (slightly) more serious note, I think the last thing we need, just based solely on Celtic Heritage, is another unit of overly hard drinking, incomprehensible and silly dressed soldiers running around loose.  You MIGHT be able to make a case that 2RCR, being that they actually have a pipe band to carry on the tradition of their Black Watch lineage, could be kilted up...but why bother.  There are couple of threads here about how necessary is it to change our Army uniforms YET AGAIN.  If you think that we need to get rid of 3000 staff geeks in Ottawa, that's one thing...but doing it just to accomodate your pining for gluteal and scrotal air conditioning when dressed up?  I think you need a better reason for that.  And I can think of a lot better things to spend money on that's saved by cutting back on NDHQ or other HQ staffers...realistic levels of practice ammo for people to keep shooting skills up for one, or more SATS equipment for the same, better training opportunities outside of High Readiness units, etc.  If you want to wear a kilt, find out what clans you have affiliations with, save up and buy a nice kilt with highland tux outfit.

Rant over.

MM

medicineman said:
I was covering the parade where the Calgary Highlanders and King's Own Calgary Regt each received new Queen's Colours/Guidons...the subaltern that received the Colour for the Highlanders was a Sikh, in his kilt, with his rifle green turban on his head.  That was something neat to see.

MM

As an ex-Cal Highr I was in attendance that day.  I was thought the turban and the beard looked a fair match for the kilt.

And beside, as I remember being informed at the time, that subby had more time-in on two way ranges than anybody else on that field.  He previously served in the Indian Army.

I would like to see reserve Coy's if not Reg'ts populated with Canadian descendants of current/potential conflict areas.

1) Afghanistan
2) African
3) Chinese
4) South American

Imagine what Coy of CANADIAN CULTURED Afghani's could accomplish winning the hearts and minds over there.
How about the effect on the OMLT. Being Canada we have the (one of) largest potential resources to exact our interests.

Task said:
I would like to see reserve Coy's if not Reg'ts populated with Canadian descendants of current/potential conflict areas.

1) Afghanistan
2) African
3) Chinese
4) South American

Imagine what Coy of CANADIAN CULTURED Afghani's could accomplish winning the hearts and minds over there.
How about the effect on the OMLT. Being Canada we have the (one of) largest potential resources to exact our interests.

Are you proposing a segregated military? I know this is not your intent, but that's what it amounts to.

Task said:

If we form it for that particular reason, what do we do with it after CF involvement in Afghanistan ends?

(Or any other such unit formed because of a CF role in a particular region.)

FoverF said:
Having a military unit established for *you* and *your people* puts the idea of joining into one's head, kind of a 'foot in the door' if you will for recruiters. Even when the units aren't strictly segregated, and there's no guarantee of being posted to that unit, it still provides the notion that there is a place for you in the military, that you are wanted somewhere.
Yeah, good idea.  After all, they would be better off with *their own kind* instead of mixing with the rest of us Canadians, right?

Oh, wait, I thought the CF was established for *us*, as in all Canadians.

Brutus said:
Are you proposing a segregated military? I know this is not your intent, but that's what it amounts to.
Zackly....

Coming up next - A Canadian Foreign Legion:  A Way to Get More Foreigners to Fight for Us, or Just More Funny Uniforms?  ::)

Back