• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Honours to a Captain boarding an RN Warship

When the ship is doing proper planned maintenance, it won’t look like a bag of shit. And getting a side party together isn’t a big deal either. Some of you make it sound like the world is coming to an end in order to do simple things. As this movement gains strength we then have displays of the shitshow at CRCN’s CoC because some folks think that doing things properly is too “Awkward” FFS.
Yes we are short staff, blah blah. But this is where leadership says, we’re pulling ships out and putting them into deep structural refit and fully staff our remaining ships so that everything is correctly maintained. Yes I’m a dreamer.
I think you misunderstand my point.

It's one thing to be on a formal parade, etc. It's another to be, as @stoker dave said, getting in crap because you were too busy actually fixing something to notice that the Admiral went by. In my example, the RCAF GOFO wasn't there for a ceremony.

Counterpoint was people used the same argument for only getting Asterix, vice two interim tankers, and that had no impact on getting less than the planned 2 JSSs.

I think regardless of what the Admirality want, the CPFs are going to 'self retire' anyway until we get to a number we can handle. The longer we beat on the current ships and burn people out, the lower the number of CPFs that will leave us with.

As an aside, my favourite SWP ever was when the ship was excused ceremonial. We still did some planned things ahead of time, but aside from colours and sunset there was nothing for the OOD to worry about for the various sail pasts etc. When you are running around trying to figure out man aloft, radhaz, hotwork etc it was one less thing to worry about, and you could just focus on keeping the ship safe.
The out of routine flag is not a common thing anymore?

I think you misunderstand my point.

It's one thing to be on a formal parade, etc. It's another to be, as @stoker dave said, getting in crap because you were too busy actually fixing something to notice that the Admiral went by. In my example, the RCAF GOFO wasn't there for a ceremony
I recall numerous times of a Flag Officer coming down to the ship and it was no big deal cause the CO had chatted with the office and they came to an understanding that no ceremony beyond the side pipe by the Brow staff was required. Then again in the coasts what is there, 2 Flag officers each?

Only the RCN would have folks fight for the dominance of ceremonial while the fleet crumbles around them.

I love my Navy, but by the Jesus we need a culture change and we need it fast.

If you think the CPFs that are self divesting too fast, call the release office and see how busy they are.

For you story, a normal day alongside the OOD will be running around doing things, so the QM will do a quick 'two pips' pipe, which means the CO is on the way.

Fun fact two short pips is actually "OOD requested brow immediately". Its mostly used for the arrival of the CO, but it has been used when there is an incident at the brow that requires the OODs attention rapidly. I try to ensure my QMs know that if they need me immediately for some urgent situation (that stops short of a true emergency) to use that.

If random ceremonial takes precedence over dealing with safety issues alongside, maybe the RCN should follow SSOs and not have the MSEO on duty during short work periods?
There is a mistake here I agree. MSEO as an OOD in home port should be a rarity and never during a SWP.

For non-navy types:
When you are OOD, it is your one and only focus for the day. You're not supposed to be doing departmental work. Frankly, if it's a weekday you won't have time to do departmental work, you'll be busy all day. My average daily steps would triple on my step counter.

As @Humphrey Bogart pointed out meeting the CO first thing in the morning is good. As a Jr NTO its one of your limited face times with the CO. There are plenty of times I haven't been able to get to the brow to meet the CO before they are onboard and halfway to their cabin, it's generally not a huge deal as long as you show up within a few minutes of them coming on board.

You discuss what the routine for the day is and they give you their priorities and movements for the day. It helps you get info to brief the wardroom at XO's Prayers (morning meeting) as well, as the OOD usually has the final word during that brief. I once spent a good half hour having a tea and showing our new CO how IPMS worked (it was new to him, as he hadn't sailed post HCM yet).

Fun fact two short pips is actually "OOD requested brow immediately". Its mostly used for the arrival of the CO, but it has been used when there is an incident at the brow that requires the OODs attention rapidly. I try to ensure my QMs know that if they need me immediately for some urgent situation (that stops short of a true emergency) to use that.

There is a mistake here I agree. MSEO as an OOD in home port should be a rarity and never during a SWP.

For non-navy types:
When you are OOD, it is your one and only focus for the day. You're not supposed to be doing departmental work. Frankly, if it's a weekday you won't have time to do departmental work, you'll be busy all day. My average daily steps would triple on my step counter.

As @Humphrey Bogart pointed out meeting the CO first thing in the morning is good. As a Jr NTO its one of your limited face times with the CO. There are plenty of times I haven't been able to get to the brow to meet the CO before they are onboard and halfway to their cabin, it's generally not a huge deal as long as you show up within a few minutes of them coming on board.

You discuss what the routine for the day is and they give you their priorities and movements for the day. It helps you get info to brief the wardroom at XO's Prayers (morning meeting) as well, as the OOD usually has the final word during that brief. I once spent a good half hour having a tea and showing our new CO how IPMS worked (it was new to him, as he hadn't sailed post HCM yet).

You're right sounds like a job for keen Jr Officers who aren't HoDs. Oh and leave the Chiefs out of it too ;)

You're right sounds like a job for keen Jr Officers who aren't HoDs. Oh and leave the Chiefs out of it too ;)
HODs are too busy with their actual job during a regular work day to also do OOD, thus they should get the Weekend duty watches.

Give 'em a chance to catch up on paperwork.

It is. Whenever the CO comes aboard, the QM will make a pipe on all circuits "<Shio's Name> Aboard." (i.e. "Fredericton Aboard"), and when he leaves replace aboard with ashore. This is so that the XO and HODs all know he is aboard and can beginning forming up the queue of people outside his cabin cabin to brief him on what's broken now.

What's an HoD? Remember crayons are my preferred diet....

Back