• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Honours & Awards (merged)

eliminator

Member
Reaction score
0
Points
210
Chief Stoker said:
Yet Alert gets a SSM and its Canadian territory correct? Sea duty allowance is for being on ship, not the area that it operates in. Regardless I hope this goes through.

I was at a CFCWO Town Hall a couple of years back and he mentioned that DH&R was looking into suitable means to recognize service on domestic operations. Whether that would take the form of a medal, or badge, or otherwise no decision has been made yet.
 

MMSS

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
The Polar Medal states under eligibility "It also honours those individuals who have withstood the rigours of the polar climate to make significant contributions to polar exploration and knowledge, scientific research, and the securement of Canada’s northern sovereignty." So I would expect *if* a medal is to be awarded to mbrs going up north, that's the one they intend to use. Note the CAF site also explicitly states "Service that is recognized by other honours cannot be taken into account for the Polar Medal. This means the eligibility of CAF members for the Special Service Medal with ALERT bar and the Special Service Medal with RANGER bar remain unaffected by the new medal."
 

Carpenteer

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
MMSS said:
The Polar Medal states under eligibility "It also honours those individuals who have withstood the rigours of the polar climate to make significant contributions to polar exploration and knowledge, scientific research, and the securement of Canada’s northern sovereignty." So I would expect *if* a medal is to be awarded to mbrs going up north, that's the one they intend to use. Note the CAF site also explicitly states "Service that is recognized by other honours cannot be taken into account for the Polar Medal. This means the eligibility of CAF members for the Special Service Medal with ALERT bar and the Special Service Medal with RANGER bar remain unaffected by the new medal."

This sounds like a great way to recognize some of the CE guys who spend extended periods maintaining places like Inuvik and other early warning sites. We have a few RM's that spend 1-3 months a year up there and it adds up quickly. After a posting they could easily have 365+ days above 60, yet only guys on the posted strength of Alert get the SSM.

It's also not uncommon for people to head to Alert for months at a time without it counting towards anything.
 

George Wallace

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
2
Points
410
Carpenteer said:
This sounds like a great way to recognize some of the CE guys who spend extended periods maintaining places like Inuvik and other early warning sites. We have a few RM's that spend 1-3 months a year up there and it adds up quickly. After a posting they could easily have 365+ days above 60, yet only guys on the posted strength of Alert get the SSM.

It's also not uncommon for people to head to Alert for months at a time without it counting towards anything.

No problem......Just put in the paperwork suggesting that an "INUVIK" Bar be made up for the SSM and you will be good to go.  Or should you just broaden the coverage and make it a "NORTH OF 60" Bar?    [:D
 

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
124
Points
710
Carpenteer said:
This sounds like a great way to recognize some of the CE guys who spend extended periods maintaining places like Inuvik and other early warning sites. We have a few RM's that spend 1-3 months a year up there and it adds up quickly. After a posting they could easily have 365+ days above 60, yet only guys on the posted strength of Alert get the SSM.

It's also not uncommon for people to head to Alert for months at a time without it counting towards anything.

Not every time we are away from our postal codes = a gong though.  I've been away, more than once, on a CJOC named Op (not an exercise, a named op) OUTCAN and...its counts only towards the second bar on my CD. 
 

Carpenteer

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
George Wallace said:
No problem......Just put in the paperwork suggesting that an "INUVIK" Bar be made up for the SSM and you will be good to go.  Or should you just broaden the coverage and make it a "NORTH OF 60" Bar?    [:D

I was referring to the Polar Medal, it makes a comment about time served protecting Canada's northern sovereignty.

Or maybe a snowflake badge for the DEU's. . . .
 

Stoker

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
74
Points
530
Carpenteer said:
I was referring to the Polar Medal, it makes a comment about time served protecting Canada's northern sovereignty.

Or maybe a snowflake badge for the DEU's. . . .

As far as I know only one military per received it and that's for being the first to dive on HMS Erbus.
 

dimsum

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
550
Points
940
Chief Stoker said:
As far as I know only one military per received it and that's for being the first to dive on HMS Erbus.

I can imagine that person walking around with a copy of the Gazette to prove s/he earned it  >:D
 

Carpenteer

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Chief Stoker said:
As far as I know only one military per received it and that's for being the first to dive on HMS Erbus.

I guess they are going the "exceptional circumstances" kind of route. That's fine too, I guess there are more glorious jobs then renovating a kitchen  :nod:
 

Stoker

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
74
Points
530
Carpenteer said:
I guess they are going the "exceptional circumstances" kind of route. That's fine too, I guess there are more glorious jobs then renovating a kitchen  :nod:

I guess anyone who has the 180 days above 67 degrees and can prove it can get the medal. I'm not sure if they are even giving it out anymore.
 

Carpenteer

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Here is a question;

One of my friends has deployed to Latvia, he already has the SSM with the Alert Bar. So if he completes 180 days in Latvia he would be awarded the NATO bar, but he asked me what happens if he goes back? or what if he did another tour in Alert?

I looked it up and it's seems that there is no further way of recognition. He thought that this was weird because of the new system we have with bars on the GCS,GSM, and OSM.
 

PuckChaser

Army.ca Fixture
Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
299
Points
1,030
That's why the system is under review, especially the 180 day requirement. SSM didn't have any of the fancy numbers on there like a U.N. medal because it was a catch-all and applied to various missions.
 

Carpenteer

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Is there a reason NATO is not supplying the medals for these ops? I'm guessing the SSM is an interim measure and will be switched out with something else in the future. I remember hearing about ships receiving the article 5.

I'll read up on it, but the NATO website doesn't mention much about honours and awards.
 

George Wallace

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
2
Points
410
Carpenteer said:
Here is a question;

One of my friends has deployed to Latvia, he already has the SSM with the Alert Bar. So if he completes 180 days in Latvia he would be awarded the NATO bar, but he asked me what happens if he goes back? or what if he did another tour in Alert?

I looked it up and it's seems that there is no further way of recognition. He thought that this was weird because of the new system we have with bars on the GCS,GSM, and OSM.

Not every Honour or Award has the same criteria.  Go to the DHH site and read what are the criteria for each Honour or Award.  http://forces.gc.ca/en/honours-history-medals-chart/medals-chart-index.page  (Click on item you want to research).

For the SSM, you get a bar for whichever deployment you were on.  If your "friend" was to Alert and also NATO, then they wear the ALERT and NATO bars on their SSM. 
 

ModlrMike

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
244
Points
730
I have two bars on my SSM, for three qualifying tours. You only get to wear one instance of a bar regardless of how many times you've qualified for that specific award. In my case Humanitas x 1 plus Alert x 2 = 2 bars.
 

sailoraye123

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
hey,

        What recognition do you receive if you deploy inside of Canada sure theres a lot of medals for task done outside of Canada. He'll even Alert has its own medal, but why isn't the FOL in Inuvik recognized? Or does it fall under a different category.. hell they even have a name for the operation any idea if Inuvik gets any recognition?
 

Zoomie

Army.ca Veteran
Mentor
Reaction score
20
Points
430
O.N.E. Does not count towards any medal.  Just as Op Lentus does not, nor SAR missions or any other DOMOP. 
 

Ostrozac

Sr. Member
Reaction score
87
Points
280
Ditch said:
O.N.E. Does not count towards any medal.  Just as Op Lentus does not, nor SAR missions or any other DOMOP.

There have been medals issued for certain specific domestic operations, but admitedly it has been a few years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_West_Canada_Medal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_General_Service_Medal



 

wo2kehler

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
210
Question IRT to time towards a medal. What is considered time? In example short TAV's on named Ops that don't qualify as an attach posting.

Do those days count towards medal criteria? Specifically culmuative days.
 
Top