• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Honourary (or honorary if QR&O 3.06 & 3.07 are to be believed) colonels

Edward Campbell

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
In this article, which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the National Post, Christie Blatchford comments on a recent RCMI paper by John English on the topic (spelled honorary by English, too) but she uses it as a vehicle to comment on the tensions between the regular and reserve components:

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2013/06/28/christie-blatchford-spat-between-canadas-regular-and-reserve-armies-a-reminder-that-both-deserve-better-leadership/
Spat between regular and reserve armies a reminder that both deserve better leadership

Christie Blatchford

13/06/28

A couple of years ago, while still riding the memory of my time in Kandahar as an embedded reporter in 2006-07, I received an invite to speak to what I believed was a Canadian army reserve regiment.

Such invitations weren’t unusual in those days (I’d written a book about our troops in Afghanistan) and I accepted just about any that came my way, because generally speaking, I like talking about soldiers almost as much as I like writing about them, which is almost as much as I like being around them.

In any case, I hadn’t heard of this particular regiment before, but that didn’t surprise me: Despite the best efforts of governments and sometimes the regular army brass to reduce the militia in size and influence, the reserve army remains scattered about the country, in small-town and big-city armouries both.

I digress, but this genuine connection to Canadians through reservists — citizen soldiers — is the militia’s greatest strength.

In any case, as speech day drew closer, I tried in my disorganized fashion to learn a little about the unit. Somewhat to my dismay, I discovered it was essentially a group of re-enactors, fellows who dress up in period costume and keep alive old rituals.

The only thing that made me feel marginally less stupid was that an army friend, whom I’d got to know in Kandahar, had made the same mistake.

It was too late to gracefully back out of the commitment, so I went, as did my friend, and had a lovely time.

But make no mistake: These guys weren’t real soldiers.

By then, I’d been to enough events and dinners at my most beloved reserve regiment, The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Hamilton, to know how such things are supposed to work, and this wasn’t it.

In fact, at several points during the evening, I had to bite back rage at the sight of the younger members, who were perfectly capable of actually serving in a real unit, like the young men and women of their age I’d met in Kandahar, but who instead contented themselves by playing Mr. Dressup.

And that brings me, and the comparison is not one drawn by the author and is altogether cheeky on my part, to a recent report on the appointment of honorary colonels in the Canadian army by Jack English.

English is a distinguished military writer, actual former soldier and Honorary Colonel of The Brockville Rifles. Every few years, he produces a scathing report that hugely rankles the prickly military brass in this country.

With this one — An Historical Examination of the Use and Abuse of Canadian Army Honorary Colonels, published last month by the Royal Canadian Military Institute — he has done it again.

The 32-page report has received virtually no public attention, but within the higher echelons of the Canadian Forces, it has caused a real stir.

While it appears that English’s ire was formally raised by a 2012 article about “the re-branding of honoraries,” as one himself, he was already well familiar with two regrettable modern tendencies — the one, for the regular army to mess with appointments that should properly be in the domain of the reserves; the other, the effort, spearheaded by now-retired army boss Andy Leslie, to appoint civilian “captains of industry” who may have no connection to the units.

To that, of course, could be added a third — the perpetual re-invention of the wheel, because in fact Canadian militia units have a long history of often appointing as their honoraries leading businessmen, wealthy civilian patrons and even politicians.

As English notes, and proves in the report, “units have always been more than capable of perfecting their own combination of civilian benefactors and former military officers.”

The difference was that until the mid-1990s, when acrimony between the regular and reserve force was at a peak, the units themselves nominated and got the honoraries they wanted.

That has changed, English says, starting perhaps as early as 1996, but accelerating under Leslie, who two years ago personally nominated Blake Goldring, chair and CEO of AGF Management Limited, as the first Honorary Colonel of the Army, ostensibly to strengthen ties between the CF and Canada’s business community.

Or, English says, the appointment may have reflected Leslie’s own “ambitions of becoming CDS [Chief of the Defence Staff].”

On the other hand, English says, the appointment may have been an imitation of the 2009 appointment of Senator Pam Wallin as Honorary Colonel of the Air Force (in which case, in light of her recent expense controversies, it was clearly by far the wiser one).

He has many more examples — the honorary who called himself a “colonel” and forgot the honorary part; the fellow who treated his appointment as a corporate board membership; the honoraries who competed in log-rolling, small-boat rowing “and other such fun games,” as English sneers.

His point is that reserve regiments managed this civilian/military balance nicely on their own, but “there was never any question of strangers totally unknown to unit personnel being forced upon regiments.”

As background, if you haven’t figured it out, the regular army and reserve are in a perpetual cat fight about what the role of the militia should be.

The regular force sees the reserves’ primary role as augmenting them, which is indeed what reservists so ably have done in the former Yugoslavia, Bosnia and Afghanistan; the militia sees itself, and this is the role government policy confirms, as being the national base for mobilization in event of war and therefore needing reasonable numbers and stable financing, neither of which it often gets.

Concomitantly, so would regular army leaders prefer the honorary colonel to toe their “one army” line and to advocate for the army as a whole, while reservist leaders want men and women who will fight for the unit, first and foremost, and for the perpetually under-attack militia.

As happens almost every time Jack English writes, this report reminds that Canadian soldiers, regular and reserve, are worthy of far better leadership than they get.

Postmedia News
cblatchford@postmedia.com

See also, this and this.

Hate to be a spelling snob but it's honorary because "honourary" doesn't exist as a word in Canadian/British usage. It's like honorarium or neighborhood.  :)

Pencil Tech said:
.....or neighborhood.  :)

Really? It's in my dictionary.
neighbourhood

World English Dictionary
neighbourhood  or  ( US ) neighborhood  (ˈneɪbəˌhʊd) 

— n 
1.  the immediate environment; surroundings; vicinity 
2.  a district where people live 
3.  the people in a particular area; neighbours 
4.  neighbourly feeling 
5.  maths  the set of all points whose distance from a given point is less than a specified value 
6.  ( modifier ) of or for a neighbourhood: a neighbourhood community worker 
7.  in the neighbourhood of  approximately (a given number) 

Related: vicinal 

neighborhood  or  ( US ) neighborhood 
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/neighbourhood?s=t&path=/

Pencil Tech said:
Hate to be a spelling snob but it's honorary because "honourary" doesn't exist as a word in Canadian/British usage. It's like honorarium or neighborhood.  :)

I agree, and so does the OED, but the OED and other reputable English dictionaries allow the u as either or both of archaic or optional. I used that title because of a comment in an earlier thread. I've been waiting for someone to pick up on the variations of honour/honor.

The old Honorary Colonel shaking the bushes for more funding gambit.  If they didn't do it, the honoraries would have no function at all.

I fail to see how Pamela Wallin's appointment to the RCAF or Gen Leslie's now late ambitions to CDS impact the selection of regimental honorary Colonels.  How was Jack English appointed Honorary Colonel of the Brockville Rifles?  Was he recommended by some reg force staff Captain at LFCA?  I doubt it.

The regular force sees the reserves’ primary role as augmenting them, which is indeed what reservists so ably have done in the former Yugoslavia, Bosnia and Afghanistan; the militia sees itself, and this is the role government policy confirms, as being the national base for mobilization in event of war and therefore needing reasonable numbers and stable financing, neither of which it often gets.

This is as old as time itself.  Maybe Jack would rather his mess dinners be populated by buttons and CDs as no Militia Regiment has been mobilized for war since the Second War.  The task you think you have on paper is not necessarily the one you do.  The now operationally experienced and often decorated reservist could have held out till his or her Regiment mobilized for war, and thereby missed it.  That likely would not have been a strong argument for more stable funding though.

I see this as picking a fight where there isn't one. 

I also do not see how drudging up this argument leads one to conclude that either the RegF or PRes are lacking in good leadership.  Not saying either could not be better, I just don't see an argument here.  Getting down on re-enactors?  WTF does that really have to do with Regimental appointments?  I appreciate her frustration with apparently able bodied men not serving.  So what?  Seems like a good time to spread the message about the type of people who do serve and hope a few make a life choice.  But then maybe they all have heart murmurs.   

Christie Blatchford, for all the good she does in spreading the message has been beating the leadership drum for a couple of years.  It's an old drum, that was well thrashed long before 2006.  Give it a rest or I may just go back to reading Scott Taylor ;)

Pencil Tech said:
To further rub it in  >:D
http://oaadonline.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/honorary
(Canadian English also honourary)

Two points:

I've seen Honoraries both as a force for good, acting as an important part of a healthy Army/community relationship, and as time-expired, willfully ignorant and obstructive relics. It depends a great deal on the people you choose. BTW, one thing we should note is that, at least since I was in 38 CBG (2002-2005), the Govt of the day vets any nomination of Honoraries, so it isn't really a purely Regimental decision, and hasn't been for some time;

Since I joined the Militia in 1974, we have come one hell of a long way in bridging the gap between the "Two Armies". There was a time when it was a relationship based on mutual disrespect and suspicion, if not outright hatred. I thought that with the war we had finally moved past that, but as the war draws to a close, and the money taps shut off, the Army may begin to do what it often does in times of adversity: start chewing its own entrails.

We are not alone in our misery. There is an underlying tension between part-time and full-time members of any organization that has a demanding task: i experienced it as a volunteer firefighter in a composite department that included both career and VFF in each station. The relationship was childishly bad: as bad as anything I have seen in the Army. The USARNG has also historically struggled in its relationship with the Active Army. If anything, that relationship is much more distant than that between our own RegF and Res Armies, due IMHO to an almost total absence of integration at unit/bde level.

Personally, I really hope that cool heads, both Reg and Res, can keep the relationship on track, and not let the ignorant pot-bangers on either side squander what we have achieved. Some of it was won in blood.

Cheers

... and here is what The Honorary Colonel of the Army is doing for you:
Hire a veteran: Honorary colonel aims to convince companies Canadian soldiers make great employees
Joe O'Connor
National Post
06 February 2014

Blake Goldring checks his watch. He needs five minutes to change, to peel off his charcoal grey suit and red tie and put on his other uniform, the green one, with the Canada badge on the shoulder and the four gold stripes around each cuff.

Before he retreats to his corner office on the 31st floor of the TD Bank Tower to make the outfit switch the chairman and CEO of AGF Management Limited, a Canadian investment firm with offices around the globe and a statue of a tiger — the company’s corporate logo — in its reception area, has one small request:

“I wouldn’t want to pose for a photograph in front of the AGF tiger,” Mr. Goldring says, eyeing the tiger, eyeing National Post photographer Tyler Anderson. “I run a $36-billion company. I wouldn’t want to give the impression that being a soldier is my day job.”

Five minutes later, transformation complete: the CEO is no more. Blake Goldring, corporate titan, is in full military dress, complete with jaunty beret, polished brass buttons and shiny black shoes. Snapping off a salute he invites his two guests to sit and gab about this other job of his, an occasionally on weekends and sometimes weeknights gig that is part of being the first, the only and, as of Jan. 30, the newly reappointed-to-a-second-three-year-term, Honorary Colonel of the Canadian Army.

“As an honorary colonel, you have all the rights of a regular full colonel,” Mr. Goldring says. “But we can’t command. We can’t say, ‘Go storm that hill,’ which is a good thing.

“It is a role that has opened up an enormous world to me. Some people grew up with the military, but I had no military background whatsoever, no family connection, so it was completely alien to me.

“The protocols. Learning when to salute. Everything.”

It is a Canadian tradition dating back to 1895. Men of wealth and influence — the colonels were and primarily still are men — were enlisted by various military reserve units to act as a bridge between civilian and citizen-soldier; to provide the military with a voice in the nation’s boardrooms; to privately twist politicians’ arms on military issues; to write hefty fundraising cheques and to encourage other big wigs to do the same; to advocate for our men, and lately, women in uniform.

Mr. Goldring was an honorary colonel with the Royal Regiment of Canada reserves from 2006 to 2010 before the full-time army created a whole new title just for him. The 55-year-old was wary, at first, because he was a suit, a money guy, a Toronto blueblood who had assumed command, not of an army company, but of the financial company his father started in the 1950s. He didn’t see what he had to offer. Then he took a closer look at what soldiers offer all of us.

“In the financial world, you are dealing with a totally different crowd,” he says. “But these people are just selfless. They put their day life on hold and they were expected to go and put their lives on the line in Afghanistan.

“They were prepared to pay the ultimate sacrifice on our behalf. And what is it about what we do that is deemed so much more important than what they do? Why them, and not me?

“That’s when I started thinking we could do something, something bold, something to champion our soldiers and expose more people to them.”

That something was Canada Company, a not-for-profit Mr. Goldring founded eight years ago, “which serves to build the bridge between business and community leaders and the Canadian Military.” What it means, on a practical level, is that children of Canadian military personnel killed in the line of duty now have a no-questions-asked scholarship fund to tap into and receive free tuition at most Canadian universities. It means widows of dead soldiers won’t see a major bank foreclose on their mortgage, and it means soldiers exiting the service today — a uniquely skilled and yet often underemployed demographic — now have a guy in the corner office and a bunch of his pals (Gordon Nixon; Paul Desmarais Jr.; Peter Munk; Larry Tanenbaum, to name drop a few) looking out for them in a job market often baffled by their army credentials.

… [Much more at link]
http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/02/06/hire-a-veteran-canadas-honorary-colonel-aims-to-convince-companies-that-soldiers-make-great-emplyees/

Back