• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Honest John Rocket info

OLD COOK

Inactive
Reaction score
My name is James Booth!

I was attached to 2SSM TRG BTY as a cook from it's start in Piction ON. till it's end in Shilo Man. The unit had more cooks per person then the average field unit because of the way it was deployed in the field. One could not have served with a better or more interesting formation of army personnel. They wilalways be my friends.

The unit had two launchers that worked, however, not as well known 2SSM had a third launcher that never worked and was used in Wainright as a decoy to fool the air force. It worked!

I have a few minutes of 1963 8mm film taken on the way to, and in Wainright . It catches the launching of the Honest John and has some shots taken from an AOP L-19. (a good steak will buy you many things) If the Film is in good shape I will have it put on DVD.

What  I would like is some colour photos of either AA or AB Showing the areas immediatley behind the driver, the doors , & the front view.

Hi

I was just out in Shilo and spent an hour racing through the excellent Artillery Museum

Watch the slide show here and see your Honest John http://www.cobwfa.ca/COBWFA2011/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&layout=blog&id=18&Itemid=63

Thank you for your reply & the photographs.  It's nice to see that the museum is taking better care of the launcher. I hope that they repaint it back to  it's original 2SSM Trg Bty colours, and put it indoors.
After I remustered to the Engineers we used to visit and maintain the grave sites @ Camp Hughes. At that time one could still see the circles of whitewashed stones in the bivouac area & what was left of the trenches.

Back