• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hon. Capt (N) Sonja Bata - Feb 20, 2018

kratz

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
reference:  CTV.ca

I met her at the Hand's Christmas Dinner, in Toronto. Smart, funny and very approachable. She was an excellent ambassador for the RCN and will be missed.

Footwear collector, philanthropist Sonja Bata remembered for passion, generosity
The Canadian Press
Published Wednesday, February 21, 2018 5:31PM EST 
Last Updated Wednesday, February 21, 2018 5:37PM EST 

TORONTO -- Collector and philanthropist Sonja Bata, whose collection of global footwear treasures formed the basis of the Bata Shoe Museum in Toronto, has died.

The museum's acting director Sheila Knox says Bata passed away Tuesday evening at Toronto Western Hospital, surrounded by friends and family. She was 91.

Bata began collecting footwear in the 1940s, and her fascination with design and history led to a collection of more than 13,000 artifacts chronicling 4,500 years of history.

"We are so fortunate to have worked with such a visionary and to witness and participate in her passion for her collection," Knox said Wednesday. "And for her generosity in sharing it with the city of Toronto."

Appointed an officer of the Order of Canada in 1983, Bata was also an honorary naval captain for more than 24 years.

She also devoted her time to the National Design Council, World Wildlife Fund Canada, Council for Business and the Arts in Canada, and Junior Achievement.

:cdnsalute:

R.I.P. Captain Bata. We will certainly miss your irreplaceable wit.

From a trip onboard TORONTO a few years ago:

Attachments

• sonja_bata.jpg
    sonja_bata.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 214
Oldgateboatdriver said:
:cdnsalute:

R.I.P. Captain Bata. We will certainly miss your irreplaceable wit.

From a trip onboard TORONTO a few years ago:

My favourite of her quotes.  "Well that's not right.  I'm just going to have to call Peter about this."  -referring to the then defence minister.  She always sponsored a table for Junior officers at any of the various Balls or Mess diners she was guest at.  She will be missed.

Back