• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hockey Canada in the Government Crosshairs

When I said there are predators in hockey I meant the human kind. I do worry about them.

Not the ones in Nashville.
At our League, we as coaches don’t have one on one interactions with players, and in the changing/locker rooms there are always two adults (Coach and an assistant or both assistants).

Stupid phone. I don’t have my reading glasses atm - so I’m at the mercy of autocorrect

At our League, we as coaches don’t have one on one interactions with players, and in the changing/locker rooms there are always two adults (Coach and an assistant or both assistants).
Hockey Canada has a "2 deep" rule as well.

My issue with the funds being cut is we all know where it will hit: grassroots hockey for young kids. It's certainly not going to cut high performance and elite hockey programs.

... My issue with the funds being cut is we all know where it will hit: grassroots hockey for young kids. It's certainly not going to cut high performance and elite hockey programs.
The organization is losing 6% of its funding if it doesn't do what the feds ask. As others smarter than me have said, if they don't want to do what's being asked, they don't have to take the federal money.

Look at it another (admittedly extreme) way. The headline before this happened could have been ...
breaking-news(3).png
I'm guessing a lot of people not happy with Team Red would be outraged at that headline for any organization, right?

I mean who cares if it's true, right? There's a ton more to the story that was the catalyst for the funding freeze. I find it really odd the woman refused to cooperate with police, but was willing to file a lawsuit later on.

I mean who cares if it's true, right? There's a ton more to the story that was the catalyst for the funding freeze. I find it really odd the woman refused to cooperate with police, but was willing to file a lawsuit later on.
Wouldn't be the first or last sexual abuse victim (of any sex, really) not to trust police or "the system" to be able to get things done :(

Also, it seems Teams Red, Blue & Orange seem to want to get to the bottom of this ....

But do you still get to kick garbage cans around and call them "pylons" and "pheasants"? tradition is important, y'know.

Wouldn't be the first or last sexual abuse victim (of any sex, really) not to trust police or "the system" to be able to get things done :(

Also, it seems Teams Red, Blue & Orange seem to want to get to the bottom of this ....

minions bottom GIF

Since, as The Bread Guy pointed out, all the parties are on board, I've changed the thread title from "Liberals" to " Government "
Bruce

...grassroots hockey for young kids.
If funding is ever restored, as well as being contingent on comprehensive anti-abuse measures etc., it should be dedicated solely to support low-level youth (and possibly adult) sport. The only public good in entities like Hockey Canada is providing a venue or motivator for physical activity and related benefits at the local level.

Picking up medals (or even showing up) at the international level isn't worth a single taxpayer dollar in any sport.

If funding is ever restored, as well as being contingent on comprehensive anti-abuse measures etc., it should be dedicated solely to support low-level youth (and possibly adult) sport. The only public good in entities like Hockey Canada is providing a venue or motivator for physical activity and related benefits at the local level.

Picking up medals (or even showing up) at the international level isn't worth a single taxpayer dollar in any sport.
I am of the total opposite view. Get Hockey Canada out of anything to do with local and youth sport. Have them stay in their lane of international and elite sport. Let parents and locals run the kid stuff. The stuff, rules and regulations I see from Hockey Canada are useless.

I am of the total opposite view. Get Hockey Canada out of anything to do with local and youth sport. Have them stay in their lane of international and elite sport. Let parents and locals run the kid stuff. The stuff, rules and regulations I see from Hockey Canada are useless.
In that case, make the funding withdrawal permanent.

I disagree. The Hockey Canada development program is actually good. For all levels. There are other good ones but they are generally reserved for higher tier hockey (and are a lot more expensive). If you want something of reasonable quality that is affordable, you’ll need something like Hockey Canada. One of my son plays higher tier hockey and my other is in lower tier and both are afforded the same time and effort. It is already mostly run by locals and parent using the Hockey Canada framework.

I disagree. The Hockey Canada development program is actually good. For all levels. There are other good ones but they are generally reserved for higher tier hockey (and are a lot more expensive). If you want something of reasonable quality that is affordable, you’ll need something like Hockey Canada. One of my son plays higher tier hockey and my other is in lower tier and both are afforded the same time and effort. It is already mostly run by locals and parent using the Hockey Canada framework.
Ditto.

A lot of what is in use down here by USA Hockey as far as the Athlete Development Model, etc was pioneering in Canada by Hockey Canada.
I can guarantee you that today's method of both policing the sport, and training the players is head and shoulders of what I was exposed to in Canada 40+ years ago when I played hockey.

Nothing is perfect, and clearly this incident has shown that there are still major issues in some areas, BUT it has gotten better, and public pressure can only help make it better.

I know little of the current HC controversy or how HC operates, but I suppose how you view public funding towards sport, any sport, and the role sport plays in the national psyche will impact your view. Even though the odds of any one kid making the NHL is infinitesimally small, the journey starts at the local level. Canada use to own the NHL because of this feeder network that started with every hamlet having a rink of some sort. Over time, things got more organized with inter-league play, tournaments, etc. Other countries learned, particularly the US that has made significant improvements to their feeder system. I see similar changes in curling but for different reasons.

When kids are involved, there will always be the challenge of weeding out exploiters. The system has to remain focused on this and not turn a blind eye from a coach because Team A is winning. In my view, it also needs to defend itself from parents, advocates and psychologists. Above a certain age, the game migrates from just fun, and pointed direction, even criticism, isn't, in and of itself, abusive. In that sense, it reflects, hmm, life.