• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMCS Winnipeg homecoming media coverage

opcougar

Inactive
Reaction score
HMCS Windsor is back, but now the media is making a big deal out of nothing. This is 2016 NOT 1916

Canadian sailor wins raffle . . . and makes navy history with first gay kiss
Male sailor wins raffle to decide which sailor is allowed off a ship first to kiss a loved one after an extended time at sea, and kisses . . . his male partner.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/02/25/canadian-sailor-wins-raffle--and-makes-navy-history-with-first-gay-kiss.html

opcougar said:
HMCS Windsor is back, but now the media is making a big deal out of nothing. This is 2016 NOT 1916

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/02/25/canadian-sailor-wins-raffle--and-makes-navy-history-with-first-gay-kiss.html

???

First off, that article is about HMCS Winnipeg returning after over 8 months at sea to Victoria, not Windsor returning to Halifax. 

Second, it's 2016 but it's still a feel-good piece about someone returning home to their partner, regardless of gender or sexual orientation.  It's good PR for the RCN, and I'm confident it wasn't staged for it to be that way.

Dimsum said:
It's good PR for the RCN, and I'm confident it wasn't staged for it to be that way.
As I've said elsewhere, it's nice to show, but one day, there will be no more news value in the first X doing Y because X's will just be considered one more letter doing Y.

opcougar said:

How is this not a big deal? Despite there being du jour acceptance of homosexuality in Canada in general, there is still a lot of fear and discrimination within smaller organizations. How many gay members of the NHL, NBA or NFL are open about their homosexuality? For two men to enjoy the celebratory first kiss upon the return of a warship, to me at least, is a huge milestone in promoting acceptance.

For serious, dude have you not read the Deschamp report yet? God...

Dimsum said:
It's good PR for the RCN, and I'm confident it wasn't staged for it to be that way.

Good PR that's desperately needed, after the hordes of bad PR from sailors recently.

Perhaps you missed my point....I'll try to explain again. The point I was making is that this is indeed 2016 i.e. we have come a long way since say 1916, and we shouldn't be making fuss about this sort of thing. How the Deschamp report plays into this is beyond me, considering my post doesn't even come close to harassment of any kind.

Guess what racism is still prevalent in society, but many will rather not talk about it.

Lumber said:
How is this not a big deal? Despite there being du jour acceptance of homosexuality in Canada in general, there is still a lot of fear and discrimination within smaller organizations. How many gay members of the NHL, NBA or NFL are open about their homosexuality? For two men to enjoy the celebratory first kiss upon the return of a warship, to me at least, is a huge milestone in promoting acceptance.

For serious, dude have you not read the Deschamp report yet? God...

I'll be happy when the time comes that people's sexual orientation doesn't matter. (For the vast majority of the population)

I read the article, saw the picture and simply though....Welcome Home.

*shrug* 

'nuf said.

That too...along with Xenophobia in the CAF. The comment from that new nincompoop about the newly appointed Minister of Defence months ago is so prevalent, and I don't expect anyone here to admit they've said or heard such things at their place of work.

Tolerance doesn't stop at sexual orientation, just like harassment doesn't stop at 'sexual'.

Sheep Dog AT said:
I think you mean bigotry.

opcougar said:
That too...along with Xenophobia in the CAF. The comment from that new nincompoop about the newly appointed Minister of Defence months ago is so prevalent, and I don't expect anyone here to admit they've said or heard such things at their place of work.

Tolerance doesn't stop at sexual orientation, just like harassment doesn't stop at 'sexual'.

Referencing "the comment" from "that new nincompoop" really does nothing to advance your post. You'd make more sense if you quoted or linked it. Please try to do so in the future, for the sake of context.

And the sweeping generalizations...I'm not going to ask much more, please give it a rest. I get the feeling I speak for more and more of the membership in saying this.

If you're trying to get something different across then I'd suggest more time in the post/proofread stage.

Scott
Staff

Back