• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMCS' Winnipeg and Fredericton award NATO medal confusion?

Navalsnipr said:
So am I correct that you need to do 30 days in Afghanistan and no where else to get the GCS? All other AoO (Mirage, Gulf region for ships) should get the GCM?

General Campaign Star – SOUTH-WEST ASIA (GCS-SWA)
http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhr-ddhr/chc-tdh/chart-tableau-eng.asp?ref=GCS

Eligibility List, which includes:

HMC Ships Deployed under OP Altair
1 Aug 09 - Present

"OP Altair" +"HMCS Fredericton"

Navalsnipr said:
So am I correct that you need to do 30 days in Afghanistan and no where else to get the GCS? All other AoO (Mirage, Gulf region for ships) should get the GCM?

Not necessarily.

Canadian Honours Chart
General Campaign Star – SOUTH-WEST ASIA
(GCS-SWA)

CONTEXT

This general service award has been created as a means to recognize - in a timelier manner - those who serve in operations in the presence of an armed enemy. Rather than creating a new honour for each new Canadian Forces operation as it arises, the General Campaign Star and General Service Medal - with their theatre or service specific ribbons - can be awarded in future to honour participation in any operation that meets the criteria.

ELIGIBILITY & CRITERIA

The General Campaign Star (GCS) is awarded to members of the Canadian Forces and members of allied forces working with the Canadian Forces who deploy into a defined theatre of operations to take part in operations in the presence of an armed enemy.

The GCS is always issued with a ribbon specific to the theatre or type of service being recognized, and each ribbon has its own criteria.

The GCS with South-West Asia ribbon is awarded to Canadian Forces members and members of allied forces working with the Canadian Forces who served either:

with the Canadian contribution to the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan for at least 30 days cumulative between 24 April 2003 and 31 July 2009, in the theatre of operations which consisted of the political boundaries and airspace of Afghanistan; and/or in the theatre of operations consisting of the political boundaries of Afghanistan, the Persian Gulf, the Gulf of Oman, the Gulf of Aden, the Red Sea, the Suez Canal and those parts of the Indian Ocean and the Arabian Sea that are west of sixty-eight degrees East longitude and north of five degrees South latitude, as well as the airspace above those areas for at least 30 cumulative days commencing on August 1, 2009, provided that the service has not been recognized by another service medal.

Eligibility List

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-nouvelles/news-nouvelles-eng.asp?cat=00&id=3683

HFXCrow said:
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-nouvelles/news-nouvelles-eng.asp?cat=00&id=3683

That has been previously established in this thread as being the recognition for counter-piracy operations.

Most recent query from Navalsnipr is wrt GCS' being awarded to sailors who have not been into Afghanistan proper.

By the DHH link below, it seems to me that sailors who participated in Op Altair would qualify for GCS's.

If you put the two links together:

Freddie sailors should be wearing the GCS and the NATO African Bar for OP SAIPH.

HFXCrow said:
If you put the two links together:

Freddie sailors should be wearing the GCS and the NATO African Bar for OP SAIPH.

See the confusion?? The ref clearly states that the GCS would be awarded only if they were not recognized with another medal. The only GCS eligible Op for "HMC Ships" is Op Altair by the DHH link - I don't see Op SAIPH on the "GCS eligible" list anywhere (they get the NATO).

seen

good point

Maybe NATO and Canadian issued medals are two separate entities?

I do not know the answer

Lets not forget the eligibility for the medal as listed here:

ELIGIBILITY & CRITERIA

The General Campaign Star (GCS) is awarded to members of the Canadian Forces and
members of allied forces working with the Canadian Forces who deploy into a defined
theatre of operations to take part in operations in the presence of an armed enemy.

The GCS is always issued with a ribbon specific to the theatre or type of service being
recognized, and each ribbon has its own criteria.

This leaves it open to be not an Afghan only medal. In fact wasn't there an AF SQN who was awarded this for the campaign in Kosovo ?

Also many other Naval pers besides PPEs and Clearance Divers have been over. On the roto In just came home from the PRT, CIMIC, NSE and BTG were all well stocked with a Naval compliment of all trades from Boatswains to Stokers and everything in between not just us PPE's. Also many Naval Boarding pers have gone over on a more OPSEC level.

So from what I've seen coorelated here it looks like the HMCS Fredericton was awarded the GCS from the CF and the Nato medal from NATO obviously. Is that allowed? This kinda goes back to the whole SSM/CPSM stuff that guys were getting for one tour. The reason I brought up the Winnipeg cause when she originally did her deployment they were told they were not going to be getting a medal. Then this happened. A buddy of mine got flown out of theatre because of heart complications that have since cleared up and he was awarded a medal. He must have just got under the prerequisite 30 days.

Halifax Tar said:
Also many other Naval pers besides PPEs and Clearance Divers have been over. On the roto In just came home from the PRT, CIMIC, NSE and BTG were all well stocked with a Naval compliment of all trades from Boatswains to Stokers and everything in between not just us PPE's. Also many Naval Boarding pers have gone over on a more OPSEC level.

I understand that more than them have been over ... I was giving "for examples" - I certainly never meant my list to be "mistaken" as "whole, entire and complete" as you seem to have taken it.

Needless, other campaigns that will receive the GCS in the future will have a different ribbon adorning such award to differentiate that one from the other.

These gents were wearing the GCS Afghanistan  -  ergo the query. And needless to say, HMC Ships participating in Op Altair - and NOT within Afghanistan proper - qualify for the GCS. GCS qualifying service does not, as I stated earlier, have to occur within the geographical boundaries of that one nation. Sandbox/no sandbox ... some can still be awarded the GCS.

ArmyVern said:
I understand that more than them have been over ... I was giving "for examples" - I certainly never meant my list to be "mistaken" as "whole, entire and complete" as you seem to have taken it.

No correcting you just making sure others get the representation they deserve.  :salute:

ArmyVern said:
Needless, other campaigns that will receive the GCS in the future will have a different ribbon adorning such award to differentiate that one from the other.

I'm glad we can finally see eye to eye on something!  :nod:

ArmyVern said:
These gents were wearing the GCS Afghanistan  -  ergo the query. And needless to say, HMC Ships participating in Op Altair - and NOT within Afghanistan proper - qualify for the GCS. GCS qualifying service does not, as I stated earlier, have to occur within the geographical boundaries of that one nation. Sandbox/no sandbox ... some can still be awarded the GCS.

As well the bar system has changed for the GCS. So the ISAF bar we got in 2006 will now be replaced with the maple leaf bar showing your days in theater. I would expect the freddy crew to get their own ribbon in the future as you have stated or get the 30 Day GCS less any ribbon. I would say watch and shoot but I see that coming.

Anyhow look at that Vern we agreed on something! Someone check hell and see if its still hot! lol  ;D

Back