• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMCS Preserver smashes into dock - 4 Nov 2011

Chief Stoker said:
She was paid off and was then sold to the Ecuadorian navy where she spent a further 17 years in service.

Thank you for the further info.  We were told wrong by our Sea Daddies.  ;)

jollyjacktar said:
Thank you for the further info.  We were told wrong by our Sea Daddies.  ;)

Was told the same thing by the guys out at DC div, she was severely damaged though.

After I saw the video, I googled HMS Penelope and it was all there on Wikipedia. To include the damage costs. 

Nice park job matey!! So much for getting the North Park Armouries fixed, bet that get put on hold now 

I know the joke on the east coast is that HMCS Preserver rarely ever leaves the wall.  Well I actually have proof of her sailing in the Bedford Basin.  I came home after work and was extremely shocked  :eek: to see her in the basin and under her own power.

I am curious why anyone would be shocked. If you put a dent in the front of your car, you will still drive it. PRESERVER was conducting sea trials at the time of the incident. Life goes on. That said, must agree, it is good to see. I know her crew have been busting their asses to get this thing operational again.

The photo's are pre thump.  She has the damaged area already cut out and repairs are underway by FMF.

I wasn't sure as it looked like something on the starboard side bow but then now that you say that, there is no snow in the pic!!!!
Sorry, I am being gainfully employed in the Nation's Capital-can I assume there is still snow....wasn't talking to my wife since Wednesday.

Clearly the navy is learning their docking manoeuvres from BC ferries.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/11/18/bc-ferry-hard-landing.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17k3R62KWbI

Resurrecting old thread...

HMCS Preserver commander stripped of command

Navy ship rammed into floating dock in Halifax Nov. 4

Original link

The Royal Canadian Navy has confirmed to CBC News that the commander of HMCS Preserver has been stripped of his command.

Cmdr. Larry Jones was in charge of the ship when it rammed into a fixed floating dock at the Halifax Irving Shipyard on Nov. 4.

The navy won't say how extensively the ship was damaged or how much the repairs cost.

HMCS Preserver is the largest ship in Canada's east coast fleet and had just gone under a $45-million refit before the incident.

In a statement to CBC News about Jones, the navy said there is "enough evidence for the navy to lose confidence in his ability to command at sea."

The navy has yet to complete its official inquiry into the collision.

The navy said there is a direct link between the collision and Jones's removal, and said Jones was relieved of command because of the "result of the preliminary finding of the Nov. 4 incident."

Jones has been transferred to a job ashore.

Any navy online pages containing Jones's name have now been taken down — and all pictures and information about him have been removed.

It took months to repair HMCS Preserver, but the navy said the ship left for sea trials earlier this week.

Just three months ago, another navy commanding officer lost his position. Lt.-Cmdr. Paul Sutherland of the submarine HMCS Corner Brook was relieved of his command after the sub hit the seafloor off British Columbia last June.

I saw her in the Bedford Basin 2 morning ago, making her way towards the Narrows/ just NW of the Mackay.

She did have a tug strapped onto her on the starboard side.  Extra brakes I guess... >:D

(Sorry, I don't know how to ab-lah in Navy-speak)

Eye In The Sky said:
I saw her in the Bedford Basin 2 morning ago, making her way towards the Narrows/ just NW of the Mackay.

She did have a tug strapped onto her on the starboard side.  Extra brakes I guess... >:D

(Sorry, I don't know how to ab-lah in Navy-speak)

She may have been cold moving from the basin to her berth at Docktyard, hence having the tug buttoned on.

I believe you are correct FTSO as I saw her at the Ammo Jetty earlier.  Trips to there are always a cold move.

Always a cold move? Hmmm, that's kinda weird. It's not like someone's going to smash into the ammo jetty and bus.... oh wait. Right.

Not so much that, but if they are not going anywhere else it is not worth it to flash up the boilers.  Don't forget she's a steamship and cannot just turn the key, put it in drive and step on the gas.

I'm somewhat surprised the change of CO's made the national newscast on at least both the CBC and CTV, not that it's not newsworthy but I just never figured the media to be on top of stuff like this..

So he goes ashore for a few years. Wonder if he ever Command again?

I knew that name looked familiar (assuming its the same fella)..... He was the Commanding Officer of CFS ST.JOHN'S ......

Reminder; This is a "Naval Ships and Vessels" thread, not a "Holy F***, another sailor screwed the pooch" thread.
I recall days when jetty bashing was a driving lesson-it was socially acceptable-like drinking and driving.

For those NOT in the know, tugs regularly take Naval vessels through the harbour. As someone else mentioned, flashing a boiler for a hot move is like going to sea-IRO and HAL are the same-Full 'at sea watch' required on board for a hot move.

Back