• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMCS Preserver smashes into dock - 4 Nov 2011

Occam

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Wooops!

Shared with the usual provisions...

Original link  Photo at link

A naval ship best known for helping out areas of the world in crisis might now be in need of some help itself.

HMCS Preserver sustained some damage Friday afternoon when it ran into a dock in Halifax.

There's been no word about what caused the collision. However, the navy has scheduled a news conference about the incident later today.

HMCS Preserver, a supply ship that’s helped out people in disasters and other crises all over the world, has been in a multi-million dollar refit at the Irving-owned shipyard in Halifax.

OUCH#!@#!@  Someone will have some spaining to do.  I don't envy who's in the hot seat now.  :facepalm:

HMCS Preserver runs into Halifax dock

HMCS Preserver bumped into a dock at the Irving-owned Halifax Shipyard Friday afternoon.

It happened just before 3 p.m. and no one was injured.

"It's really too early to determine the extent of the damage to the ship," Major Paul Doucette, spokesman for Martime Forces Atlantic, told reporters late Friday afternoon.

HMCS Preserver was returning from engineering trials when it hit the dock.

Doucette said there were no indications of any spilled fuel and that the damage was high, above water level, near the bow.

HMCS Preserver is an auxiliary replenishment vessel. It carries oil for other ships and helicopters at sea. The standard-sized crew for the ship is about 300.

Doucette said he couldn't comment about damage to the dock.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2011/11/04/ns-hmcs-preserver-hits-dock.html

Oops....

The standard-sized crew for the ship is about 300.

Unless they've seriously cut back on the duff selection, I don't ever remember the crew being standard-sized.  ;D

Towards_the_gap said:
umm.....It didn't stop?????? No need for a BofI now!

Indeed. In the strictest sense I'd say the collision was caused by inertia.

COUGH! (last person I saw that made fun of NAVY accidents got sent up the warning ladder)....COUGH.

Sorry....I'm a smoker.

Shoulda had some of them little white dock bumpers like you see on sailboats. Maybe that woulda helped some. >:D

Will the driver have his 404 revoked and have to give a safety brief on docking?

I can imagine a little pickup, dockside, with a yellow winky pot on top and an MSE Op with a clipboard scratching his head thinking 'How am I going to investigate this one?'

Towards_the_gap said:
Will the driver have his 404 revoked and have to give a safety brief on docking?

I can imagine a little pickup, dockside, with a yellow winky pot on top and an MSE Op with a clipboard scratching his head thinking 'How am I going to investigate this one?'
With a large cup of coffee and a large cup of rum afterwards?

There was a rumour around when I was in (1960's) that the base commander at Cornwallis ran the Bonaventure into a jetty in San Juan, and that's how he was promoted and sent to Cornwallis where he couldn't do any more harm. Its hard to run a cement frigate aground!

Hawk

Hawk said:
There was a rumour around when I was in (1960's) that the base commander at Cornwallis ran the Bonaventure into a jetty in San Juan, and that's how he was promoted and sent to Cornwallis where he couldn't do any more harm. Its hard to run a cement frigate aground!

Hawk

The expression is actually "stone frigate".  ;D

Actually, when I was in we used stone frigate, land-locked frigate and cement frigate.

Hawk

She was paid off and was then sold to the Ecuadorian navy where she spent a further 17 years in service.

Back