• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMCS Corner Brook training in Charlottetown Harbour

kratz

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Great to hear the subs are out. It would be a sight to see her on the surface in Charlottetown.

from CBC.ca

Submarine crew trains in Charlottetown Harbour
Last Updated: Friday, June 26, 2009 | 5:06 PM AT

A Canadian navy submarine was in Charlottetown Harbour conducting training exercises Friday.

The 59 crew members aboard HMCS Corner Brook are in P.E.I. as part of a training course.

The submarine's main role is to collect surveillance on drug and human trafficking in North American waters.

"Since 9/11 there's a real tight emphasis on knowing who's coming in and out of the waters, particularly North American waters," said Lt.-Cmdr. Christopher Robinson. "The navy refers to something called the Recognized Maritime Picture. That's what we do — we feed information about ships.

"When we detect them, we go in close, get their registration numbers and names and we compare that against databases to make sure the ships are doing what they say they're doing."

The last time the 70-metre submarine visited P.E.I. was 12 years ago.

Interesting article. 

So the Corner Brook was there 12 years ago?  *shakes magic 8 ball*  "nope, not a chance in hell"

Nevertheless it is nice to see one of our boats out there doing something.

Be kind!! It's the media. Consider ourselves lucky that they recognized it was a sub. A senior Herald reporter still can't tell the difference between a sailor and a soldier.

And given how shallow Charlottetown harbour is (muddy C5 dome anyone?), I have to wonder what kind of training...

Messmom said:
Be kind!! It's the media. Consider ourselves lucky that they recognized it was a sub. A senior Herald reporter still can't tell the difference between a sailor and a soldier.

And given how shallow Charlottetown harbour is (muddy C5 dome anyone?), I have to wonder what kind of training...

How true...look how often they refer to an M113 as a tank :D

Ex-Dragoon said:
How true...look how often they refer to an M113 as a tank :D

Aye.

Even a senior reporter for a Halifax newspaper could not get it right recently.

At the Concecration and Presentation of the Queen's Colour to the Canadian Navy, this gent, who has been reporting in this city for decades, refered to the 500 men and women in black uniforms and white peak caps as.............. you guessed it, soldiers.

Don't forget to thank Pierre and Paul (Hellyer) for that nice touch. As much as we've been put into distinctive uniforms, those 20+ years in the middle have dramatically and maybe permanently altered how Canadians, and particularly the media view who we are. Armed Forces = Army, personnel = soldiers.

This thread seems the best on the places the CTV's news coverage of the boat running aground.

The Canadian Press
Date: Sunday Jun. 5, 2011 3:29 PM ET

ESQUIMALT, B.C. — Two sailors suffered minor injuries after a Canadian submarine struck bottom during weekend training exercises off Vancouver Island.

HMCS Corner Brook was conducting submerging manoeuvres Saturday in the vicinity of Nootka Sound, off the west coast of Vancouver Island, at the time.

Pash said the 60-person crew immediately brought the ship to the surface to conduct safety checks.

Two sailors suffered bruises.

Pash said no fuel was released into the environment, and Corner Brook was returning Sunday to Canadian Forces Base Esquimalt, near Victoria.

He said the crew was participating in advanced officer training at the time.

"The type of training is actually amongst the most challenging conducted in submarines, focused on developing the skills of potential submarine commanding officers," Pash said in an interview Sunday.

The navy will investigate what happened.

That really sucks.  I have a couple friends on that Sub.  It's a good thing no one lost their lives.
I wonder if they'll be able to finish the remainder of the exercise.

Are we like the American Navy - are heads going to roll over this?

Infanteer said:
Are we like the American Navy - are heads going to roll over this?

Depends on the results of the investigaion. You usually don't get promoted for running your sub aground.

Chief Stoker said:
Depends on the results of the investigaion. You usually don't get promoted for running your sub aground.

New CO who was fresh off the Norwegian Perisher course. I hope he doesn't lose his command over this.

FSTO said:
New CO who was fresh off the Norwegian Perisher course. I hope he doesn't lose his command over this.

Hey FSTO have we stopped sending guys on the UK Perisher course?

Ex-Dragoon said:
Hey FSTO have we stopped sending guys on the UK Perisher course?

I'll answer that: The UK perishers are now run exclusively on nuke boats because that is all they now operate. We don't have anyone nuke qualified in our sub service.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
I'll answer that: The UK perishers are now run exclusively on nuke boats because that is all they now operate. We don't have anyone nuke qualified in our sub service.

Thank you.

Running a sub underwater without active systems is always a risky and impressive feat. It’s quite possible that the charts for the area are incorrect, new rocks are found all the time on this coast. As one coastal Captain put it: On this coast it’s not a matter of if you will run aground, but when.

I hope no damage is done to the Sub and the issue is not caused by poor command/navigation issues. This program has taken to much flak already.

It's possible the chart was inaccurate - my wife was on REG when they had a similar oopee happen...turned out the shoal was uncharted.   

MM

Thread's been cleaned. The removed posts have not been deleted, but stored for future reference.

Everyone grow up.

Milnet.ca Staff

kratz said:
This thread seems the best on the places the CTV's news coverage of the boat running aground.
The Canadian Press
Date: Sunday Jun. 5, 2011 3:29 PM ET

ESQUIMALT, B.C. — Two sailors suffered minor injuries after a Canadian submarine struck bottom during weekend training exercises off Vancouver Island.

HMCS Corner Brook was conducting submerging manoeuvres Saturday in the vicinity of Nootka Sound, off the west coast of Vancouver Island, at the time.

Pash said the 60-person crew immediately brought the ship to the surface to conduct safety checks.

Two sailors suffered bruises.

Pash said no fuel was released into the environment, and Corner Brook was returning Sunday to Canadian Forces Base Esquimalt, near Victoria.

He said the crew was participating in advanced officer training at the time.

"The type of training is actually amongst the most challenging conducted in submarines, focused on developing the skills of potential submarine commanding officers," Pash said in an interview Sunday.

The navy will investigate what happened.

An update....
A board of inquiry says a navy submarine ran aground off the West Coast of Vancouver Island this past June because of human error.

The board also ruled that inadequate training and experience aboard HMCS Corner Brook were contributing factors in the accident.

Navy Capt. Luc Cassivi says the incident was avoidable, adding those aboard the submarine failed to account for the vessel's actual position ....
The Canadian Press, 16 Dec 11

Back