• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMCS Calgary CO & XO Relieved Of Duty- January 2020

garb811 said:
I doubt it; we can't get them to take stuff that is clearly within their mandate,

Gonna guess that stuff isn't a troop having the audacity to make fun of the RCL over social media. Heresy of the highest order, I'm wagering  :nod:

Humphrey Bogart said:
This guy is a hero!

Edit:

So the brass are supposedly peeved off and put an APB out for this individual.  I don't really think that's the right reaction tbh.

Rather, they should acknowledge that they need to do better.

Which seems to be the hardest thing to really do ...

The entire system, civil, political and military, has mastered the art of the formal apology and of "I feel your pain," and so on but it still seems to be incredibly difficult to actually, really, honestly admit that I (we), the senior leadership, screwed up. But experience teaches that:

a. It works ~ if it is honest and sincere the lower decks (junior ranks) accept it and "forgive" the mistakes ... IF it is sincere; and

b. It helps to get everyone onside to effect the changes that are (always) needed.

The funniest part about it is there is only 8.5 thousand views. By making a big deal about it that's how you end up with it being a big deal.

Oh well, they are not happy until your not happy, so the beatings shall continue until morale improves.

Well summed up, E.R., but I'm going to humbly add one more bullet ...
E.R. Campbell said:
The entire system, civil, political and military, has mastered the art of the formal apology and of "I feel your pain," and so on but it still seems to be incredibly difficult to actually, really, honestly admit that I (we), the senior leadership, screwed up. But experience teaches that:

a. It works ~ if it is honest and sincere the lower decks (junior ranks) accept it and "forgive" the mistakes ... IF it is sincere; and

b. It helps to get everyone onside to effect the changes that are (always) needed, and

c. It works only if the needed changes are consistently implemented after the exercise of honest self-assesment.
Not necessarily in the military, but I've seen situations where the right things were said, but the right things weren't done later.

Eaglelord17 said:
The funniest part about it is there is only 8.5 thousand views. By making a big deal about it that's how you end up with it being a big deal.
I hope some PAO who's been involved mentions that to the bosses so keen on this.

Humphrey Bogart said:
I think it's the wrong approach as well.  Could have been a good opportunity to double down on the decision to remove the Comd Tm.  Why do we employ PAOs again?

PAO's provide advice, some of which is heeded, and some disregarded, sometimes to the detriment of credibility.

This is not a PA issue, it is a leadership issue. It isn't the first time that the CAF sought to kill the messenger. 

Eaglelord17 said:

Oh well, they are not happy until your not happy, so the beatings shall continue until morale improves.

Thats how it seemed like 90% of my unit, myself included, heard about the Cpl blogging webpage.

And I love that we can be charged for liking a Facebook post.

Maybe our Navy will go after everyone who shared this, we can put the money towards a new boat.

Jarnhamar said:
Thats how it seemed like 90% of my unit, myself included, heard about the Cpl blogging webpage.

And I love that we can be charged for liking a Facebook post.

Maybe our Navy will go after everyone who shared this, we can put the money towards a new boat.

Charged for liking a Facebook post?  That is a complete myth. Find me one member who was successfully charged for liking a post.  Liking, not sharing or posting crap, the physical act of the "thumbs up".

I'll be sure to save the video so I can keep it alive if it is taken down for whatever reason.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Charged for liking a Facebook post?  That is a complete myth. Find me one member who was successfully charged for liking a post.  Liking, not sharing or posting crap, the physical act of the "thumbs up".

Check your PMs fella ;)

A charge for one like?

frig man, as I blow through my Facebook feed there are countless times where I have inadvertently liked something.

I scroll up/down with my left index finger.  It is always in the same area as the “like” button.

I think it’d be an easy fight.

Inadvertently liked?  Was it even me?  Were my kids playing on my phone after a FaceTime with grandma? 

If I liked an inappropriate post while on a DWAN machine then I could see it.

Or if there was a pattern.  “DH you’ve liked every racist post since 2008”

The video has since been made private.  ☹️   

So leadership from the General Melchett school of thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPk43lZPkTI&list=RDnPk43lZPkTI&start_radio=1&t=11

Dolphin_Hunter said:

I'll be sure to save the video so I can keep it alive if it is taken down for whatever reason.

I had a (clearly insane) CO who tried to figure out how to charge people for not responding to his emails fast enough, or at all.

I’m in the Infantry though, so, you know.... :)

Dolphin_Hunter said:
I think it’d be an easy fight.

Inadvertently liked?  Was it even me?  Were my kids playing on my phone after a FaceTime with grandma? 
Knew someone in a similar situation. He got a civilian lawyer who basically laughed at the CAFs case. CAF backed down from a charge to RW, then IC. He probably could have got out of the IC too but he wisely gave the CAF a win. Because we all know what happens when you get egg on the CoCs face. 

It's sad we have a culture where innocent people are still pressured to accept guilt for the sake of appearance and discipline, because fighting it will piss people off and make it worse.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Good call -- as of this post ....

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-02-06 212355.jpg
    Annotation 2020-02-06 212355.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 169
Jarnhamar said:
It's sad we have a culture where innocent people are still pressured to accept guilt for the sake of appearance and discipline, because fighting it will piss people off and make it worse.

It's no different out on civvie street either.

Hamish Seggie said:
It's no different out on civvie street either.

Pretty sure my manager at work can't hold a summary trial...

milnews.ca said:
Good call -- as of this post ....

I missed it, it’s the first thing I checked when I left work.  It was already made private.

Good for this kid though, I certainly hope nothing comes from it. 

Perhaps the RCN will revisit how they handled this and change things (doubtful). There are so many different avenues they could have taken and they chose the worst one.  I think the best course of action would have been to ignore it 100%.

I assume this kid was a junior NCM, however he very well could have been a commissioned member.  I hope we never find out.

We have to be better.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Perhaps the RCN will revisit how they handled this and change things (doubtful). There are so many different avenues they could have taken and they chose the worst one.  I think the best course of action would have been to ignore it 100%.

The word on the street is the RCN (at least on the CPO side of the house) are out for blood.  Furious whiny emails abound.

MJP said:
The word on the street is the RCN (at least on the CPO side of teh house) are out for blood.
That IS sad ...

Not a Sig Op said:
:highjack:
Pretty sure my manager at work can't hold a summary trial...

To clarify prosecutors often pressure accused to plead out prior to trial

Hamish Seggie said:
To clarify prosecutors often pressure accused to plead out prior to trial

No doubt, they can pressure all they like, but you've still got the right to representation, and a trial with an impartial judge.

You're not going to find a civilian judge pressuring you to "take the charge" after embarrassing him or his buddies.

Back