• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMCS Algonquin refurbishment

George Wallace said:
Here we go back to the rest of the world looking at a M1 and a Leo 2.  Yup!  Dems both a tank.  Dems both the same.

Perhaps N. Mckay is ltmaverick25?  They both support the same side of a certain argument.  They have to be the same.

This is a site, where we know the differences.  We are not "the rest of the world".  This is a military forum, where the SMEs are on hand to sort out and enlighten the less knowledgeable.

I've said this before and I'll say it again....in my experience there's too quick a reaction to "sort out" and too slow a reaction to "enlighten". 

In reading this thread there were many ways the differences between Goalkeeper and Phalanx could've been explained to the non-military individual.  The path taken was the most confrontational and insulting. 

The part I don't understand is that you guys who seem to feel entitled to "sort out" people ever came to us (non-military civilians) in a different forum (in our areas of expertise) and let's say said something 'not quite accurate' in the field of financial or estate planning, and received the same sort of "sorting out" that is regularly dished out here, you'd be insulted and justifiably angry.

Bottom Line:  It's your board.  I'm a civilian and a visitor.  But I humbly request that instead of the rush to competitively "sort out" the various civilians (especially young civilians who are interested in military matters and may one day be considering a career in the forces), that you take into account the old tenet: "Treat others the same as you would want them to treat you."  One final note, whether your realize it on a daily basis or not, most people who come here look up to you guys as role models and heroes.  You are better than us because of the sacrifices you've made and are willing to make.  I beg of you, please do not let your disdain for inaccuracy from the ingorant but exhuberant, ever take precedence over the character and ethic that makes us respect you so much.

Matthew.  :salute:

Cdn Blackshirt said:
I've said this before and I'll say it again....in my experience there's too quick a reaction to "sort out" and too slow a reaction to "enlighten". 

In reading this thread there were many ways the differences between Goalkeeper and Phalanx could've been explained to the non-military individual.  The path taken was the most confrontational and insulting. 

The part I don't understand is that you guys who seem to feel entitled to "sort out" people ever came to us (non-military civilians) in a different forum (in our areas of expertise) and let's say said something 'not quite accurate' in the field of financial or estate planning, and received the same sort of "sorting out" that is regularly dished out here, you'd be insulted and justifiably angry.

Bottom Line:  It's your board.  I'm a civilian and a visitor.  But I humbly request that instead of the rush to competitively "sort out" the various civilians (especially young civilians who are interested in military matters and may one day be considering a career in the forces), that you take into account the old tenet: "Treat others the same as you would want them to treat you."  One final note, whether your realize it on a daily basis or not, most people who come here look up to you guys as role models and heroes.  You are better than us because of the sacrifices you've made and are willing to make.  I beg of you, please do not let your disdain for inaccuracy from the ingorant but exhuberant, ever take precedence over the character and ethic that makes us respect you so much.

Matthew.   :salute:

Wording and tone is everything Matthew, look at starseeds reply#27. It is like saying an AK and an M16 are the same...yes they are both rifles but we know them to be inherently different.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Still waiting for a rebuttal starseed (I know you have been online since this discussion started), or can you admit you were a wee bit out of your lanes?
That, or it was enough of a semantic argument that I didn't bother replying? 20mm vs 30mm, almost identical purpose and capabilities.

I have an education to attend to, I don't feel the need to respond to every thread I've posted in rightly or wrongly - see below.

starseed said:
That, or it was enough of a semantic argument that I didn't bother replying? 20mm vs 30mm, almost identical purpose and capabilities.

I have an education to attend to, I don't feel the need to respond to every thread I've posted in rightly or wrongly - see below.

;D  I have to laugh after reading that.  The contradictions within each statement are really amusing.  It looks like "Null Returns" to me. 

If you are attending to your education, the semantics of this discussion just may be educational.  If you don't feel the necessity to respond positively when being informed of your errors or not, doesn't sound like one who is seeking education in anything.  If you want to use that excuse and run away when you are wrong, then you really won't do well in life.  If you intend on becoming a leader (NCO or officer) then you must learn not to run away, but to learn from your mistakes. 

Gunner, Re-Lase!

Sorry.  I mean; Try again.

George Wallace said:
;D  I have to laugh after reading that.  The contradictions within each statement are really amusing.  It looks like "Null Returns" to me. 

If you are attending to your education, the semantics of this discussion just may be educational.  If you don't feel the necessity to respond positively when being informed of your errors or not, doesn't sound like one who is seeking education in anything.  If you want to use that excuse and run away when you are wrong, then you really won't do well in life.  If you intend on becoming a leader (NCO or officer) then you must learn not to run away, but to learn from your mistakes. 

Gunner, Re-Lase!

Sorry.  I mean; Try again.

You're making the assumption that my ego or education depends on the opinions of people I don't know except over the internet. Hint: they don't. If you don't value my contribution, then don't. I promise not to lose too much sleep over it. I was wrong in thinking goalkeeper and phalanx were exactly the same thing; turns out they're only almost exactly the same thing, with the same function and almost the same capabilities. As soon as I read his post, I of course rushed to respond to the post and express my gratitude for pointing it out and admit my intellectual inferiority to make sure the guy on the other end of the interweb got his moment of glory in proving someone wrong on a forum....?

Seriously, think about what you're saying.

starseed said:
Seriously, think about what you're saying.

Thanks.  I did.

Your, and a couple others, common mistake is thinking that because something looks the same, or perhaps has the same role, or capabilities, it is the same as some other piece of kit.  I have said that N. McKay was the same as ltmaverick25 in the same light as a tongue in cheek piece of sarcasm that went way over his head, because he didn't catch on to the Leo 2-M1 comparison being the same as your Goalkeeper-Phalanx example.  If you don't take criticism, advice, or correction well, then ................well.....I'll let someone else tell you later.  Perhaps you will be better prepared to listen then.

Love your cartoon.  Have you walked away yet?

Come on guys, who cares who was right and wrong about the phalanx system?  I am much more interested in seeing a discussion on the phalanx system itself, capabilities and limitations... ect...  Lets stick to that stuff so boobs like me can be "enlightened"!  The navy boards never have enough discussion on them, lets not kill it with an ego fest.

Given a choice I would love to see all of our ships fitted with one Block 1B Phalanx and one C-Ram mounted fore and aft, it would really increase our defensive capabilities against some of the newer Russian cruise missiles.

Come on guys, who cares who was right and wrong about the phalanx system?
I do because that piece of kit may or may not save my life and that of my shipmates someday.

ltmaverick25 said:
Come on guys, who cares who was right and wrong about the phalanx system?  I am much more interested in seeing a discussion on the phalanx system itself, capabilities and limitations... ect...  Lets stick to that stuff so boobs like me can be "enlightened"!  The navy boards never have enough discussion on them, lets not kill it with an ego fest.
Anyone who is willing to argue semantic differences of this nature is not a suitable person to ask for enlightenment my friend, their only reason for existence is to be right to the exclusion of all others. Every western Navy has some equivalent to goalkeeper or phalanx that performs the same function in the same way. The differences are not worthy of mention outside the circles of people who design or procure them. The way I see it, if it makes them happy to nitpick nothing subjects and be right about them, there's nothing to be gained by arguing.

there's nothing to be gained by arguing.

Yet you can't seem to stop.....

When you discuss things with experts, be prepared to get into minutiae, whether you want to or not; whether you are equipped to or not. This is a forum meant for professionals and otherwise interested parties. Not a HALO chat room, nor a Jane's fan club.

Now - everyone - please quit bickering and keep this on topic.

Army.ca Staff

Back