• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hk21A1 - the SAW with some class...

KevinB

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Reaction score
Recently BigRed went on leave and left me a new toy to play with.

I had seen the mythical beast previous - having gotten a short fam fire with it in the early 90's at Connaught, and had seen the Greek Cypriot SF with its younger brother the Hk23 while in Cyprus.

Whats not to like about a closed bolt, belt fed 7.62 gun?  Its not GPMG - but it does have a QCB - and there is a LW (and Short) Para barrel for it - and currently negotiating for one.  Its about 16lbs -- so about 4lbs less than my carbine  ;)

004.jpg

003.jpg

002.jpg

I am awaiting Aimpoints new machine gun optic - the T-1 Micro on the Matech BIS base which will give you adjustment out to 600m - as while the Short Dot is an excellent tool - I have one on my carbine -- and for most urban usage of this gun as a dismount support weapon the smaller (and lighter) CCO will be advantageous.

Magpul is currently working a stock for this one (several SOF units like its unique abilties - so its not just a KevinB niche market  ;) ) -- and I am trying to figure out a ligth mount for it so I can add a vis light.

It takes both the US (NATO) disintegrating link belt - and the german (RPD/PKM like) non disintergrating belt -- I run a short teaser belt in the car (we have M240's that use it as well) and I got a german fixed belt in my buggout bag, plus our 240 ammo bags.

That is NICE! Mind telling me what type of scope that is, as well as it's power?

001.jpg

Schmitt and Bender ShortDot  -- its a 1.1-4x combat variable - Aimpoint and ACOG all in one package

the one on the Hk21 is the Gen1 and the one on my recce rifle is a genII (which I prefer)

One question I-6. What is that chunk of metal that looks brazed or welded onto the receiver above the selector?

Looks a little odd, reinforcement?

glock17 said:
One question I-6. What is that chunk of metal that looks brazed or welded onto the receiver above the selector?

Looks a little odd, reinforcement?

That's reinforced reciever rails to strengthen the reciever. They are an upgrade to the HK21 due to higher round count guns having thier recievers crack over time.

Again Defence is blocking these pics for some reason, looks like I'll have to wait until I get home tonight  :( .

Big Red said:
That's reinforced reciever rails to strengthen the reciever. They are an upgrade to the HK21 due to higher round count guns having thier recievers crack over time.

I figured so, how long have you had it?  Any signs of inner wear and tear? 

Pretty Brave, leaving that with I-6, he's probably sleeping with it.

It was pretty much NIB when he got it -- of course I put about 1500 rds thru it now  ;D

001-1.jpg

007.jpg

004-1.jpg

010.jpg

013.jpg

031.jpg

033.jpg

Its is a sex machine -- you can pretty much get one hole groups at 100m with the Short Dot on it -- and I used it in a number of dismounted contact drills -- and even in auto standing it easily controllable.

As for sleeping with it -- hell I married it  >:D

Kev,

That is for sure a sweet blaster - and one hard-core looking shooting range!!  No elbow pads or anything - "Nancy's" need not apply...

blake

Pardon my ignorance, but is it loosely based on the HK G3?  Although that ship has sailed it looks like it would make an interesting section-level weapon.

Nice pics.

Cheers

Its like the son of a G3 and a MG3.

While its not suited to be a GPMG due to the closed bolt operation (it cooks off when run like a GPMG) - it is exceptionally accurate -- and IF you do need to run it like a GPig - then the QCB will allow you to be a lot more effective a lot longer than the fixed barrel (and det mag) guns like the C2.

Nice to have that manageable 7.62 punch, and of-course while the cat's away.... :D

Just out of curiosity, have you tried firing it with a box mag? Like/Dislike?

I6,

How much (ballpark) does a setup like your "recce rifle" cost? I'm looking to get an AR for training on my own time and don't mind spending as long as its not 10 grand for the thing.

P.S are EOTechs/Short dots legal in Canada?

Thanks in advance.

Talking to buddies in AWG, Delta and DevGrp they recommended not using the box since it pinches closed if you put any pressure on it -- one of the navy guys is trying to dig up some nutsacks for it for us.

My recce was handbuilt by Knigths Armaments - cost for me was quite low  ;)

EO's and SD's are 100% legal --- SOCOM supply out of Montreal is the Novekse dist --- and they can make a very similar recce rifle  -- no idea on price as I dont pay retail.

Back