• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

History of naval parades done ashore

The CO times his arrival for when the prep is hoisted, 5 minutes prior to colours.  The XO makes her report to the CO, including the request to carry on with colours.  The XO then has the divisions turn as required to face the ensign.  By the time this has occurred, it is only a couple more minutes, if that, until colours.  Colours is conducted as you noted.  When complete, the XO turns the platoons as before, and divisions continues.  There is nothing actually written for this, it is simply what is done.

Sometimes also, if the CO is out prior to 5 mins before (he might address everyone before hand), he will get a signal from a member on parade as to when the prep is hoisted so as to know his timings.  I know onboard my ship, I am the one that my CO keeps an eye on for his signal.

Sailing Instructor said:
Does the XO use the still as his signal to bring the ship's company to attention?  (And the carry on to stand them at ease?)  Or am I way off the mark?

The XO should not use this as her signal, as you would end up being too late.  You will therefore be at attention for a couple of minutes prior to colours.

Thanks for the response, that is pretty much what I had imagined.  Except I find it a little strange that the ship's company are kept at attention for a couple of minutes, rather than having 'one minute to colours' announced.  But then I suppose details like this differ ship to ship since they are not written in any manuals.

As you notice in the Manual of Ceremony, the phrase "one minute to colours" is no longer used.  Still in the drill manual though I notice from what you have written.

Also, dependent on where the ship's company has fallen in, you're not always likely to be close to the pers at the ensign to be able to hear any of the reports.

And standing at attention for a couple of extra minutes isn't going to kill anyone lol.

Is 'one minute to colours' no longer used on any ships?  Gino posted above that it is.  Either way, it doesn't change the order of things.

Also, does the quartermaster make his announcement 'attention on the upper deck etc.' or does he not, assuming that everyone on the upper deck is under the XO's command anyway?

Back