• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

History made with first woman to captain Queen's guard - The Telegraph (UK)

FSTO said:
Likely it is our own organization who refuse to consider it. I just wonder who in the Army pays for the ceremonial kit?

The Regimental Fund and/or Regimental Association usually purchase the ceremonial uniforms.

George Wallace said:
The Regimental Fund and/or Regimental Association usually purchase the ceremonial uniforms.

okay got it.

Cheers

FSTO said:
okay got it.

Cheers

I do know some who have managed to use points to get "Blues" from Logistik Corps for Mess Kit.  (For those who may be interested.)

ballz said:
I'm actually feeling a little bit embarrassed for her....
I'm vaguely curious why you're embarrassed for her; she didn't write the article.  I personally doubt that she's remotely concerned.

Of course, maybe her regiment is just less sensitive and prone to embarrassment.     :whistle:

Journeyman said:
I'm vaguely curious why you're embarrassed for her; she didn't write the article.  I personally doubt that she's remotely concerned.

By no means is that a slight against her, I just assume no one likes to be made into a public spectacle out of an error. This is almost akin to being the person called up on parade to be recognized only to find out they had the name wrong, except this is all over international news. It's certainly not the person's fault, they are the victim of someone else's poor effort, and while I'm sure they get over it quickly they would prefer if the mix-up didn't happen.

Certainly the people that should be apologizing are all of the media outlets, but I won't hold my breath. I'm glad they could save some face by recognizing her as the first female Inf O to do it.

Journeyman said:
Of course, maybe her regiment is just less sensitive and prone to embarrassment.     :whistle:

I would guess so as well, they are probably desensitized to it at this point ;)

FSTO said:
. . . why is it fine for Canadian Army regiments to parade in the public in historical uniforms . . .

Beside the fact that they are not "historical" uniforms but rather a current authorized pattern that has unchanged since the 1920s (and goes back even further for older regiments that were authorized full dress), the  use of "full dress" by this particular regiment is a step-up since the last time they mounted a Queen's Guard back in 1998.  Then, only the Corps of Drums (made up from all three battalions) paraded in scarlets; the Guard (from 3VP) paraded in service dress.

Attachments

• 3VP Queens Guard 1998.jpg
    3VP Queens Guard 1998.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 361
Retired Air Force guy question.
What is the meaning of the small blue rectangle on her left shoulder?

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canadian-capt-megan-couto-leads-queen-s-guard-1.3476132

It is the Presidential Unit Citation awarded to 2 PPCLI in recognition of its actions in the Battle of Kapyong in Korea in 1951.

Add: And she is wearing the Commander-in-Chief's Unit Citation (not sure of the correct title) awarded to the battalion for its service in the Medak Pocket.

I fought through (with) the tourists with selfie sticks on Canada Day to watch the Patricias march in. Was pretty cool to see! I'm sure I'll see a few dozen Patricias smashing up Soho at some point!

Back