• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Hijab Dispute Could Be Behind Girl's Death, Friends Say"

• Thread starter cameron_highlander
  • Start date
:cdn:

There are  wackos in every religion and/or culture, let's not use a wide brush

bigguy said:

We are not using the big brush we are talking about the muslim religion in particular because it is invollved in the current subject. ::)

bigguy said:

Wide problems need wide brushes. This is a cultural problem and needs a cultural solution. Those who advocate continuing it on a case by case basis are not seeing the bigger picture and are in fact pushing a trend that allows it to continue. It is very much along the line of those who say terrorism must only be fought with law enforcement methods in a civil system. They're both much larger problems. Yes, other cultures have wife beaters. This isn't as simple as that. It is physical intimidation to a religious cause. Efforts to stifle any independent thought of free will. The west is not a theocracy and we must not allow despotic theocrats to setup camps in our great countries. You can try to scalpel away the offenders to only have them be replaced from that which was not touched due to fear of the big brush. The brush is momentum. This big brush is being used against the west in every way possible. We are on our heels culturally and not prepared to push the momentum back. Not everyone can fully understand the intricacies of these cultural problems, but they can be shown the big brush to support the general idea. What it boils down to is countering propaganda and counterpropaganda. Ceeding iniciative to the enemy to organicly grow an outpost in our backyards is generally a pretty poor idea of national defense. It is akin to the idea if we setup little Canada's in say Afghanistan, where we import Canadians and refuse their laws/authority and start to grow a mini nation within the state. Or if nazi Germany was allowed to import nazi loyal Germans into create what they would certainly call an outpost of the Reich.

Anyways, I do take serious issue with people who can dismiss logical ideas and concepts as "broad brush" because they do not see the "bigger picture" that brush is used on. No one here is saying all Muslims beat their wives but I bet there are enough who feel they are allowed to to make it a serious problem worthy of finding a remedy.

Civi U(ntrained) said:
Of course it is a problem, no one is disputing this. However, it is not simply a problem in the Islamic world as many of you may believe. Very similar problems exist in such countires as Haiti, Columbia and Brazil where husbands have often been allowed, under the criminal code, to kill their wives for committing adultery.

Edited to add a response to Dare.
Alright. Having just looked that up, I found that it is not legal to kill ones wife in either Colombia or Brazil anymore. It is still legal in Haiti and then any other country mentioned it being legal or frequently practiced in is a Muslim nation. And outside of these nations it is most commonly done by Muslim residents/immigrants. Again. A large cultural problem. Please do not distort the scope and facts. The Turkish government has decided it is a real problem. One of the most western Muslim nations and a NATO ally. Do you think Turkey is concerned about Colombian honour killings? Or Haitian? I doubt it very much.

Dare, the guy is trolling, you should see the PMs I have been getting.  ::)

Cheers,

Wes

Dare and Chawki, I guess I was over simplifling things. I agree with what you are saying .

Wesley  Down Under said:
Dare, the guy is trolling, you should see the PMs I have been getting.  ::)

Cheers,

Wes

Why don't you post all of my and your PMs to show how much I am "trolling"?

You've got issues, and your attitude is going to get this locked.

Stay on track or disappear.

Short CP wire article:

Waqas Parvez, older brother of slain teen, out on bail

BRAMPTON--The older brother of a
slain 16-year-old who reportedly clashed
with her family for refusing to wear tradi-
tional Muslim garb was freed on bail Fri-
day on the eve of his sister's funeral.
  Clinging to his brother Muhammad
Shan and hiding his face from reporters,
Waqas Parvez, 26, was hustled away from
the courthouse after family members
agreed to post a $10,000 surety. His next
court appearance is scheduled for Jan. 10.
  Earlier this week, Parvez was charged
with obstructing police in connection
with the killing Monday of his sister, 16-
year-old Aqsa, who is to be buried today.

This thread will re-open later this evening,
as per CDN Aviator's post.

Civi U(ntrained) said:
Very similar problems exist in such countires as Haiti, Columbia and Brazil where husbands have often been allowed, under the criminal code, to kill their wives for committing adultery.

Edited to add a response to Dare.

I am re-reading your posts, and not quite able to 'connect the dots' as to your overall message.  In ref to the quote above, while that is tragic and horrific, the key difference is the one I bolded.  I will state the obvious here and say...

In Canada, it is NOT allowed under the criminal code.

So, here lies my question/statement:

You are posting alot in this thread, but I am not getting the clear message you are trying to get across.  So...what IS your message, in clear, simple form?

My ancestory is Irish and Scottish.  I don't know of many Irish girls that are killed over clothing, that are in the news, in Canada, in the last 10-20 years. 

Please keep whatever your reply may be relevant to the topic, and lets not sidetrack to the issue of Northern Ireland in the past and 'the troubles'.

Oh, and Merry Christmas!

Back