• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Highway(s) of Heroes - Merged Thread

Our soldiers mean a great deal to me.  Our freedom is only here because of them. 
I can not thank them enough. 

gerobbins said:
I wrote this poem dedicated to our fallen in Afghanistan:

Along the highway of heroes a soldier takes their last ride
A Nation looks on with both sorrow and pride.
In flag draped coffins they travel this long lonely route
As we bow our heads and give a final salute
They gave for our freedom and ask not for one thing, but remember with love
in our anthem we sing.

To their loving families we all feel their great pain, but with a nation's pride  their loss was not in vain.
As another wreath is placed on Remembrance Day, we will never forget the price they did pay.
For these selfless souls another candle we light with a tear in our eyes for our freedom they fight.
Along the highway of heroes a soldier takes their last ride as we praise them and cheer them with both sorrow and pride.

I  think that was pretty kicKass, gerobbins.

Thank you for putting that out there.

gerobbins; good work.  It's people like you that take the time to show your appreciation to the troops with gestures like this, that make us proud of what we do or did and confirm the reason why we do it.
Thanks for this.

Mike

mike63 said:
gerobbins; good work.  It's people like you that take the time to show your appreciation to the troops with gestures like this, that make us proud of what we do or did and confirm the reason why we do it.
Thanks for this.

Mike

You guys are doing a great job and our thoughts are always with our troops.  My gesture is the least I could do for you. 

In keeping with its proud tradition of issuing coins honouring Canada’s veterans and Remembrance, the Royal Canadian Mint today advised members of the Northumberland County Council that a collector coin commemorating the celebrated "Highway of Heroes" and Canada's fallen in Afghanistan will once again illustrate these themes in 2011.

Further to our intention to introduce this coin at a future date, we are pleased to assure supporters of the "Highway of Heroes" that their tribute to those who have made the ultimate sacrifice during Canada's military mission in Afghanistan will be immortalized by the Mint in 2011. This will open yet another window on the milestones, people, places and events which shape Canada's rich and diverse identity, and which the Mint consistently celebrates on its coins.

The Mint will report on the status of this project to the Northumberland County Council in the next four to five months and we look forward to the addition of this collector coin to a long line of Royal Canadian Mint coins honouring the men and women who proudly serve the Canadian Forces.
News release here.

From a Daily Gleaner editorial, shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.:
Over the last nine years, 157 members of the Canadian military, including nine from New Brunswick, have been killed while serving in this country's mission in Afghanistan.

Such a highway would not only pay homage to all those who lost their lives, but it would also illustrate that we care and that their sacrifices have not and will not be forgotten.

It would also recognize those who died during the First and Second World Wars and the Korean Conflict.

The idea, being promoted by the Canadian Army Veterans motorcycle unit, is based on the Ontario model.

Throughout the Afghanistan combat mission, the bodies of lost military members have returned home to travel a special stretch of roadway between Trenton and Toronto. Thousands of Canadians have lined the road, braving all sorts of weather over the last decade to pay their respects to the soldiers who have made that journey on Highway 401, one of the busiest motorways in North America.

Saint John's Sean Oshaughnessy, a member of the motorcycle unit, which has branches throughout Atlantic Canada, said he would like to see the highway established for a number of reasons, but most of all to recognize all the Canadians who paid the ultimate price.

At this point in time, the group has no specific location in mind as to where the highway should be located, as long as it's somewhere along the Trans-Canada Highway.

One reader suggested a roughly 25-kilometre stretch of the Trans-Canada Highway between the Town of Oromocto and the Village of Gagetown be designated.

The idea makes a lot of sense since it's right next to Canadian Forces Base Gagetown, where soldiers train every day for such missions as Afghanistan.

As pointed out by the reader, once the sign marking the highway becomes visible to motorists and others, it would serve as a tool to make people think and would instil within them a sense of pride and patriotism.

It would also serve as an education instrument for those who are just passing through.

Mr. Oshaughnessy said all the group is pushing for at this point is to get the provincial government to think it over and go with the idea of getting a section of the Trans-Canada Highway designated.

Progress is being made in that regard.

Fredericton-Silverwood MLA Brian Macdonald, the legislative secretary responsible for military affairs, said he thinks establishing a New Brunswick version of Highway of Heroes is a great idea and he said he's even willing to meet and work with the Canadian Army Veterans to bring the idea to fruition.

We also think a Highway of Heroes for New Brunswick is a good idea and we encourage people to get onboard.

Aside from the lost soldiers, four Canadian civilians - one diplomat, one journalist and two aid workers - have also died in that country during the conflict.

The establishment of a highway would not only be a way to honour all those lost, but it would also ensure that we will never forget them.

How many "Veterans' Highways" does NB need? We already have one:

vet-72.jpg

"We chose Route 15 to become the Veterans Highway because it passes through the Town of Dieppe, renamed in honour of the sacrifices by Canadian soldiers who took part in the Allied forces raid on Dieppe during the Second World War,'' Lord said.

Route 15 is a major piece of the New Brunswick arterial highway system with about 18,900 motorists travelling over it each day. While the signs will read "Veterans Highway,'' the highway will remain Route 15 on all highway maps.

More on link.

1)  Pulled all the HofH threads into a new merged thread.

2)  Yet another Highway of Heroes:
Maybe, mused Donna Kadash, her cousin was high above the Trans-Canada Highway between Regina and Moose Jaw on Wednesday afternoon, watching what was going on — with all the other angels.

And, in her words, "enjoying every minute of it."

Corp. James Hayward Arnal could not be there himself.

An infantryman with the 2nd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, the young Winnipegger was killed by an insurgent's improvised explosive device as he was on a night patrol in Afghanistan's Panjwaii district in July 2008.

It was such sacrifice, in wartime and peacetime military operations, and also in training, that inspired the province of Saskatchewan to dedicate the stretch of highway between its biggest military base, 15 Wing Moose Jaw, and its capital city as the "Highway of Heroes".

"It's very emotional," said Kadash, struggling to hold back tears as she stood at a provincial government weigh scale just west of her hometown of Regina, where the first "Highway of Heroes" sign was unveiled by Premier Brad Wall. "To have this in Saskatchewan means a lot to me and to my family."

Naming highways in Saskatchewan is not new. East-west Highway 16 is "The Yellowhead" and Highway 2 between Prince Albert and Moose Jaw was named "The Veterans Memorial Highway" in 2005. Highway 11 salutes Metis leader Louis Riel and Highway 13 is "The Redcoat Trail", in honour of the 1874 March West of the North-West Mounted Police.

The idea of the "Highway of Heroes" was advanced by the government's military liaison, MLA D.F. "Yogi Huyghebaert, who heard the idea from a friend. Before entering politics, Huyghebaert was a member of the Canadian Forces. He flew jet fighters and led the Canadian Forces Snowbirds air demonstration team, losing many close friends along the way ....
Regina Leader-Post, 9 Nov 11 - More

An old thread, but I believe this a an appropriate place.

November 2011
"The Highway of Heroes:
A Toronto EMS Tribute to our Brave Women and Men. These are among the ones willing to pay the ultimate sacrifice for your Safety, your Freedom, our Canada! Just take one moment and look onto their faces... Lest We Forget.":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULWMvthfSaA&feature=channel_video_title

My wife and I were coming back from relatives in Whitby and were driving into Toronto on the Highway of Heroes in 2008.  We must have been minutes ahead of a repatriation because every single bridge was filled with people with flags and signs, there were even a few people in pick up trucks in fields off to the side of the highway.  I got chills and goosebumps the whole ride, it was pretty emotional to see the pouring out of support for the fallen soldiers and their families.

We will remember them.

Canadian.Trucker said:
My wife and I were coming back from relatives in Whitby and were driving into Toronto on the Highway of Heroes in 2008.  We must have been minutes ahead of a repatriation because every single bridge was filled with people with flags and signs, there were even a few people in pick up trucks in fields off to the side of the highway.  I got chills and goosebumps the whole ride, it was pretty emotional to see the pouring out of support for the fallen soldiers and their families.

We will remember them.

It is quite a drive. What month did you proceed down the Highway of Heroes?

Jim Seggie said:
It is quite a drive. What month did you proceed down the Highway of Heroes?
The exact day was 23 Aug 2008, it was the repatriation of the 3 Combat Engineers that were killed from 1CER.

Could a Highway of Heroes be a reality for New Brunswick in 2012? If New Maryland's Kent Carswell has his way, it will happen.

Carswell, a member of the Canadian Army Veterans (CAV) motorcycle unit, is pushing the idea. It's based on the Ontario model that pays homage to fallen Canadian soldiers.

Throughout the Afghanistan conflict, the bodies of fallen soldiers travelled a stretch of roadway between Trenton and Toronto. Thousands of Canadians have braved all sorts of weather to pay their respects to the soldiers who have made that journey on Highway 401, one of the busiest motorways in North America.

The CAV's goal is to have a yet-to-be-defined portion of the Trans-Canada Highway designated by early summer, Carswell said ....
Saint John NB Telegraph-Journal, 23 Dec 11

Brian Macdonald, MLA for Fredericton-Silverwood, introduced a motion Tuesday for New Brunswick to have its very own "Highway of Heroes."

Macdonald said the motion could be debated as early as Friday.

The driving force behind the idea came from the New Brunswick chapter of the Canadian Army Veteran Motorcycle Unit.

The group has been advocating for the initiative for the past year and has collected more than a dozen letters of support from various veterans groups throughout the province.

If the motion gets passed, it would be the fourth Highway of Heroes in Canada.

In 2007, the Ontario government attached the "Highway of Heroes" name to the roadway that soldiers killed in action in Afghanistan travel, between Canadian Forces Base Trenton and Toronto.

Last June, B.C. renamed a stretch of the Trans-Canada to honour 13 soldiers from the province who died in Afghanistan.

In November, the Trans-Canada Highway from Regina to Moose Jaw was been designated Saskatchewan's Highway of Heroes, to honour fallen soldiers from the province.

Macdonald told CBC News he suspects there will be unanimous support for the designation.

He said the Trans-Canada Highway between the borders of Quebec and Nova Scotia has been put forward to have the honour ....
CBC.ca, 5 Jun 12

Sourced from CBC.ca, 5 Jun 2012, Link <a href="http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2012/06/05/nb-highway-of-heroes.html">Here</a>

N.B. Highway of Heroes proposed
Cassie Williams - CBC News
Jun 5, 2012 8:01 PM AT

Brian Macdonald, MLA for Fredericton-Silverwood, introduced a motion Tuesday for New Brunswick to have its very own "Highway of Heroes."

Macdonald said the motion could be debated as early as Friday.

The driving force behind the idea came from the New Brunswick chapter of the Canadian Army Veteran Motorcycle Unit.

The group has been advocating for the initiative for the past year and has collected more than a dozen letters of support from various veterans groups throughout the province.

If the motion gets passed, it would be the fourth Highway of Heroes in Canada.

In 2007, the Ontario government attached the "Highway of Heroes" name to the roadway that soldiers killed in action in Afghanistan travel, between Canadian Forces Base Trenton and Toronto.

Last June, B.C. renamed a stretch of the Trans-Canada to honour 13 soldiers from the province who died in Afghanistan.

In November, the Trans-Canada Highway from Regina to Moose Jaw was been designated Saskatchewan's Highway of Heroes, to honour fallen soldiers from the province.

Macdonald told CBC News he suspects there will be unanimous support for the designation.

He said the Trans-Canada Highway between the borders of Quebec and Nova Scotia has been put forward to have the honour.

Macdonald said the highway is an excellent candidate since it is part of a national network of highways, it spans the entire width of New Brunswick, and it runs through Canadian Forces Base Gagetown.

"It represents the lifeblood of the province," Macdonald said.

Macdonald also said the designation would represent not only military personnel but also first responders such as police, firefighters, and paramedics.

"It will be a living memorial to all those who have served," he said.

Macdonald stressed the timing has nothing to do with the federal government's decision to pull Canadian troops out of Afghanistan.

Macdonald also said the official name of the Trans-Canada Highway, or the Route 2, would remain the same and that provincial maps will remain unchanged.

He said, for now, the plan is to repurpose two signs already in place along the highway and said he expects the project to cost less that $10,000.

"It would be a low cost but have a high impact," he said.

so NB is going to have 2 "Highway of Heroes"? 'cause there is already one in Moncton.

Like other provinces, the NB "Highway of Heros" is not the same as the NB  "Veterans' Memorial Highway".

e.g. Ontario has the "Highway of Heroes" (401, Trenton to Toronto), but also the "Veteran's Memorial Highway" (416).

Regards
G2G

I'm sad to say that the man that started the petition to have the 401 renamed Highway of Heroes has died.

He was only 30 years old.

Jay Forbes 1985-2015

http://www.ctvnews.ca/stretch-of-401-to-be-renamed-highway-of-heroes-1.253817
CTV.ca News Staff
Published Friday, August 24, 2007 1:34PM EDT 
Last Updated Friday, May 18, 2012 6:46PM EDT 

The stretch of Highway 401 running from Trenton, Ont., to Toronto will be officially renamed the Highway of Heroes in remembrance of Canada's fallen soldiers.

Ontario's provincial government consulted the federal government, municipalities along the highway and the Royal Canadian Legion about the name change on Friday.

The highway will not lose its official designation at the MacDonald-Cartier Freeway, but signs will be erected designating the route as the Highway of Heroes.

The design of the signs has yet to be determined.

The man behind the online petition in support of renaming a section of Canada's busiest highway says he has been overwhelmed by the response.

Jay Forbes had been receiving between 400 and 500 signatures a day in support of the name "Highway of Heroes" but the amount of people signing the petition has rapidly increased over the last few days.

"In the first four days I had 4,500 signatures," Forbes told CTV's Canada AM on Friday morning. "But now...I (have) 20,000."

Forbes decided to create the petition after seeing positive feedback toward an article on the Internet about renaming a section of Highway 401 the Highway of Heroes.

"I just had enough time and I whipped up a petition," Forbes said.

The support for the petition has come at a time when, residents, police officers and firefighters have been gathering to salute and wave flags on Highway 401 overpasses while motorcades carrying the bodies of soldiers killed in Afghanistan make their way to the coroner's office in Toronto.

Forbes' actions have been supported by retired Lt.-Col. Peter Dawe, whose son Capt. Matthew Dawe was killed in Afghanistan in July.

Dawe said that his son would have been supportive of renaming a section of the highway.

"I think there's a need for Canadians to show support for the troops to recognize the sacrifice," Dawe said.

It would also provide healing and support families of fallen soldiers, he said.

"At the same time I think we need to keep our eye on the rest of the military who are putting it on the line for our great country every day," Dawe said. "So somehow, you've got to balance that."

Nevertheless, Dawe feels the support from a cross-section of Canadians gathering on the highway overpasses is an "incredible phenomenon."

It's a show of support that the creator of the petition has successfully transferred to the online realm.

"It's truly amazing to see and it just goes to show how many people do support the troops in Canada," Forbes said. "It's just great."

seanarbuthnot said:
I'm sad to say that the man that started the petition to have the 401 renamed Highway of Heroes has died.

He was only 30 years old.

Jay Forbes 1985-2015

http://www.ctvnews.ca/stretch-of-401-to-be-renamed-highway-of-heroes-1.253817

To think he was only 22 when he started this.  good to see that kind of civic minded kind of attitude at that age.

Back