• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Highway(s) of Heroes - Merged Thread

The fenceline is closer to the ramp than an overpass for most townspeople, so that is why they congregate there.  Either/or, it is still heartwarming to see people line up anywhere to pay thier respects.
:army:

geo said:
I see no value added to creating another special designated area. 

Geo, it doesnt need to be "created" as it already exists.....people already go there and have done so for quite some time. Its not a "peanut gallery"........

Cdn Aviator...
Sorry if I sounded a wee bit "flippant" wasn't my original intention.
I just do not see a reason to start naming walkways, pathwaysm roadways & highways
An Honour was bestowed when the road linking Trenton to Toronto was named "Highway of Heroes"
It's done.

Greetings valued members and guests,

I don't even live in Canada, but "The Highway of Heros" does it for me.

OWDU

While its a nice gesture, Highway of Heroes does it IMO. If we start naming anything and everything, then it will begin to be too much, and it will lose it's meaning, it would eventually just become overkill.

We have a Highway of Heroes, and yes that does say it all. But as per normal the press miss quoted .....what was said to the reporter was that the CAV is looking at getting permission to place a Stone tablet inside the fence where everyone gathers for the repatriations, which by proxy is named Repatriation Row all ready. NO! Highway 2 does not need to be renamed. That wasn't the intentions of this and it's not what we the CAV are pursuing. The tablet is about 70lbs carved out of granite and say "We Will Never Forget Your Ultimate Scarifice, Stand down Soldier you are now homeward bound". I hope this should put the renaming issue to rest.

Respectfully

Cookie aka Combatchef
1-CAV VIMY
Repatriation Coordinator

....and there we have it.

Sounds like a good idea (the stone tablet). Shame about the press skew/mis-quote.

Combatchef said:
We have a Highway of Heroes, and yes that does say it all. But as per normal the press miss quoted .....what was said to the reporter was that the CAV is looking at getting permission to place a Stone tablet inside the fence where everyone gathers for the repatriations, which by proxy is named Repatriation Row all ready. NO! Highway 2 does not need to be renamed. That wasn't the intentions of this and it's not what we the CAV are pursuing. The tablet is about 70lbs carved out of granite and say "We Will Never Forget Your Ultimate Scarifice, Stand down Soldier you are now homeward bound". I hope this should put the renaming issue to rest.

Respectfully

Cookie aka Combatchef
1-CAV VIMY
Repatriation Coordinator

Thanks very much for sharing the rest of the story that the media missed.  Makes a major difference in the intent.

well, from a personal perspective..... it now makes a lot more sense.

Thank you Combatchef

Might I suggest that it might be appropriate to say it this way...

"We Will Never Forget Your Ultimate Scarifice, Stand down Soldier you are home now".

geo said:
Might I suggest that it might be appropriate to say it this way...

"We Will Never Forget Your Ultimate Scarifice, Stand down Soldier you are home now".

I believe the CAV said it better,  The Soldier may be back in Canada, but he is still homeward bound During the Repatriation.

I’m a retired Canadian, ex RCAF, and I create slide shows as a hobby. I have just completed my latest and titled it Canada’s Highway of Heroes.

Here’s my intro to the show and links if you wish to view it.

Friday, September 07, 2007 marked the day that a section of Highway 401 was dedicated to our fallen soldiers. Many young Canadian soldiers who have given their lives in the war in Afghanistan have traveled this road. Like most of you, I support our troops and this show titled Highway of Heroes is dedicated to them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEsJB80R2TM

Also viewable and better viewing , especially in FULL SCREEN MODE. Right click on the picture when it starts and select  FULLSCREEN at:

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewalbum.html?alb=140323

Please feel free to pass it along.

Cheers,

Gerry

I’m a retired Canadian, ex RCAF, and I create slide shows as a hobby. I have just completed my latest and titled it Canada’s Highway of Heroes.Here’s my intro to the show and links if you wish to view it.

Friday, September 07, 2007 marked the day that a section of Highway 401 was dedicated to our fallen soldiers. Many young Canadian soldiers who have given their lives in the war in Afghanistan have traveled this road. Like most of you, I support our troops and this show titled Highway of Heroes is dedicated to them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEsJB80R2TM

Also viewable and better viewing , especially in FULL SCREEN MODE. Right click on the picture when it starts and select  FULLSCREEN at:

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewalbum.html?alb=140323

Please feel free to pass it along.

Cheers,

Gerry

"Heroes Trail in Calgary:
http://coffee4ourtroops.com/

This is a petition to the City of Calgary to rename a portion of Macleod trail SE to Heroes Trail. We have lost several soldiers from the Calgary region, including Cpl Nathan Hornburg, Cpl. Mike Starker, and most recently Pte Chad Horn.Cpl. Mike Starker was given a procession through downtown Calgary which passed by city hall on Macleod Trail just before he was laid to his final resting place.

What a tribute it would be for all our soldiers who have been killed in duty in various operations throughout the world to have a section of road named in their honour. By signing the below petition you are stating that you agree with the above and requesting to the city of Calgary that this change be made.

No disrespect to any of the following but if celebrities can get streets named after them, birds (blue jay way in Toronto), Mike Myers in Scarborough, why not name a street in honour of our heroes that make the ultimate sacrifice every day.

Again I am not requesting that the entire street Macleod Trail be renamed, just the downtown portion by city hall. Col James MacLeod was a founding father of the city, served in the military and the North West Mounted Police, served active duty int he defense of Canada, and was an all around great Canadian. To take away his namesake, I believe, would be to gloss over the efforts, contributions and history of some one who definitely deserves it. I'm sure he would approve of sharing the street name with his fellow brothers and current soldiers who are serving on operations around the world. I created this and mean this in no disrespect to the Col James MacLeod or the MacLeod family."

To sign the petition click the following link:
http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/HeroesTrail

Further:

"Petition to rename Macleod Trail
Updated: Thu Oct. 23 2008 17:46:42

ctvcalgary.ca
(http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20081023/CGY_Trail_Renaming_081023/20081023/)
Two Calgary men have started a petition to rename a portion of Macleod Trail.

Dave Murphy would like to see a stretch of the road, between City Hall and 4 Avenue, called Heroes Trail. "The current situation over there, we've lost a lot of guys...it's more a tribute to them and their family members and current veterans as well," says Murphy.

Murphy has garnered the support of Nigel Pritchard, a former reservist. The two have started an online petition that they plan to present to City Hall. They hope to have a portion of Macleod Trail renamed for Remembrance Day in 2009.

This isn't the first initiative Murphy has done out of respect for what our troops are doing in Afghanistan. He is also the person behind Coffee 4 Our Troops. "Basically, we sent Tim Horton's certificates to the guys in Afghanistan and we sent just under 23,000 in two years," says Murphy.

To learn more about Murphy's initiatives, or to sign the renaming petition, click on the link for Coffee 4 Our Troops."

Ummm... I thought they were working on naming it .... "Veteran's way"

If you would like to see what the drive back during the repatriation is like visit Long Ride Home and click on the link that says Click here.

FYI, you will see a Fire truck with the ladder in the air and Canadian Flags on both sides that is Port Hope Fire 198 "the squirt"

The following truck should have FireFighters standing up on top and that would be Station Three of Port Hope

Toronto Fire Service always sends a significant number of members to the Coroner's Office. They have a station across the street. Toronto Police HQ is also only steps away.
We had a station over the morgue, as it was called then, on Lombard St, but they closed it, and the station, about 20 years ago.
I've never attended when on duty. 
But, I subway to the Coroner's Office from home, in uniform, when off duty. 
I've never been to a bridge, but it's emotional when the family cars crawwwwl by inches from your toes  turning down the garage ramp. The soldiers never fail to come out to shake our hands and allow us to say thank you to them personally. Judging by the desert uniforms, I suspect most, if not wounded, will soon return to combat. I have seen Gen Hillier there on occassion. Retired, so dressed in a civilian jacket and tie, rather than CF uniform. I am sure his presence is a comfort for the families.
:yellow:

I must say that it was very impressive.  Every overpasses had people and I don't remember having seen one without a Fire Service truck.  Once, people let go a couple of doves.  And we've seen more than a few Quebec flags as well.

As it was mentioned, the street leading to the coroner's office was walled with people and there was 20+ Toronto Fire Service members saluting.  Also, the ride in downtown Toronto leading to the coroner's office was pretty emotional as we could make eye contact with people.

All in all, every fallen soldier's families are grateful for this show of support.  Such a great display of respect and caring for our lost brothers and their family.

From CTV.ca

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100607/route-heros-toronto-100607/20100607?hub=Toronto

Fallen soldiers honoured with 'Route of Heroes'

Updated: Mon Jun. 07 2010 11:40:52 AM

ctvtoronto.ca

A portion of the Don Valley Parkway and a trail of downtown Toronto streets leading to the Ontario coroner's office have been designated as a "Route of Heroes" to honour Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan.

At a ceremony Monday, Toronto Mayor David Miller announced the route which will begin at the intersection of Hwy. 401 and the DVP, extending to the Bloor Street exit and along several city arteries which previous convoys have followed.

Processions have typically begun at CFB Trenton in eastern Ontario, traveling along a portion of Hwy. 401 which has been renamed "Highway of Heroes."

David Adamson, a Royal Canadian Legion member, expressed gratitude to Canadian military personnel.

"We owe a debt of gratitude to those who paid the supreme sacrifice, particularly with yesterday being the 66th anniversary of D-Day and the 65th anniversary of the Second World War ending in Europe," he said.

"It was through those sacrifices that we can enjoy the freedoms we have today.

"Our Canadian soldiers continue to serve in these missions, particularly in Afghanistan to ensure that these freedoms are enjoyed elsewhere in the world.

"I think Don Cherry says it best: ‘We are the best.'"

Monday's ceremony follows the death of the 147th member of the Canadian military during the Afghan conflict.

Sgt. Martin Goudreault of Sudbury, Ont., died when a makeshift bomb went off on Sunday in southern Afghanistan.

I wrote this poem dedicated to our fallen in Afghanistan:

Along the highway of heroes a soldier takes their last ride
A Nation looks on with both sorrow and pride.
In flag draped coffins they travel this long lonely route
As we bow our heads and give a final salute
They gave for our freedom and ask not for one thing, but remember with love
in our anthem we sing.

To their loving families we all feel their great pain, but with a nation's pride  their loss was not in vain.
As another wreath is placed on Remembrance Day, we will never forget the price they did pay.
For these selfless souls another candle we light with a tear in our eyes for our freedom they fight.
Along the highway of heroes a soldier takes their last ride as we praise them and cheer them with both sorrow and pride.

gerobbins: thanks for taking the time to write that. The Highway of Heroes and all it stands for means alot to Canadian soldiers and their families, and your writing reinforces that.

Cheers

Back