• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Highway(s) of Heroes - Merged Thread

I just got back from Afghanistan and have lost 3 friends from my regiment as well as an American friend.

I think this is a great idea and all though there is a debate on it, I''d like to make a suggestion for the route.

The section that they travel on only have memorial mile markers at the beginning and end, this way that section is marked and technically not renamed. These mile markers could also have the names of the fallen soldiers on them.

Weather they rename that route or just do the mile markers, I think is a fitting tribute to them, cause it is the last highway they will ever travel

steve

Stretch of 401 to be renamed 'Highway of Heroes'
Updated Fri. Aug. 24 2007 1:34 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

The stretch of Highway 401 running from Trenton, Ont., to Toronto will be officially renamed the Highway of Heroes in remembrance of Canada's fallen soldiers.

Ontario's provincial government consulted the federal government, municipalities along the highway and the Royal Canadian Legion about the name change on Friday.

The highway will not lose its official designation at the MacDonald-Cartier Freeway, but signs will be erected designating the route as the Highway of Heroes.

The design of the signs has yet to be determined.

The man behind the online petition in support of renaming a section of Canada's busiest highway says he has been overwhelmed by the response.

Jay Forbes had been receiving between 400 and 500 signatures a day in support of the name "Highway of Heroes" but the amount of people signing the petition has rapidly increased over the last few days.

"In the first four days I had 4,500 signatures," Forbes told CTV's Canada AM on Friday morning. "But now...I (have) 20,000."

Forbes decided to create the petition after seeing positive feedback toward an article on the Internet about renaming a section of Highway 401 the Highway of Heroes.

"I just had enough time and I whipped up a petition," Forbes said.

The support for the petition has come at a time when, residents, police officers and firefighters have been gathering to salute and wave flags on Highway 401 overpasses while motorcades carrying the bodies of soldiers killed in Afghanistan make their way to the coroner's office in Toronto.

Forbes' actions have been supported by retired Lt.-Col. Peter Dawe, whose son Capt. Matthew Dawe was killed in Afghanistan in July.

Dawe said that his son would have been supportive of renaming a section of the highway.

"I think there's a need for Canadians to show support for the troops to recognize the sacrifice," Dawe said.

It would also provide healing and support families of fallen soldiers, he said.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070824/online_petition_070824/20070824?hub=TopStories

We will remember them. :cdn:

Great move. To me this recognizes not only the sacrifices of those fallen soldiers and their families who have made the sad journey, but in a way it recognizes all those average, normal decent Canadians who took time out from their lives to stand on those bridges and salute the passing corteges. Volunteer firefighters, police officers, farmers, kids, townspeople. As a soldier who has lived through the "Forgotten Years", I feel very moved to think that average people would honour our fallen in this way.

Cheers

Excellent Job everyone.

Just listened to your interview, forcerecon.  Great job. :salute:

Excellent news. 

I echo pbi's comments - to see Canadians line the highway during a procession is rather humbling.  It means a lot to many of us serving that at least some folks appreciate a soldier's contribution, albeit a final contribution in these sad cases.

G2G

THANK YOU JAY!!! I hope you realize how much this means to so many people, you should be proud!

Many thanks you to all of you.  The journey from Trenton to Toronto was overwhelming in a positive sense if that is possible at such a time, you can be assured that this gesture of respect is not lost on anyone.  You have done yourselves proud.

Bravo!

Sheila

Hey, I was away all weekend at an airsoft game and getting a small taste of what some of you have been through. Humping 40lbs of gear, being ambushed and dodging pyro grenades brings a whole world of respect for what our troops experience in combat while being in the civilian world. Everyone afterwards always say "I don't know how our troops do it everyday!"

back on topic, Thank you for all your support. I made the petition and tried to get word out, but its all you who got it over the 50,000 mark. For those who have done military service, you've already done your part, so I'm really thankful you took the time to sign it and get more word out. To those who have seen my interviews, you could probably understand how nervous I was haha, but I'm glad its gotten so much attention. I'm extremely proud of whats going on, but modest as to being the guy who made the petition. Whoever signed it should get a equal share of the credit. Would anyone happen to know how long the route has been used to bring our fallen to Toronto? Afghanistan is the main attention, but if there is some sort or memorial, I'd hate to forget any of our fallen before Afghanistan and into our many UN years. I emailed the Centre for Forensic Sciences weeks ago about it, but received no answer. Also, what would you like to see as a memorial? I've gotten many ideas in the comments of the petition, and the most popular seem to be the mile markers or naming the 58 bridges along the route. If I had supreme control (which I know I don't) I'd like to set up plaques on the overpass or just off the highway with the name and a few words about them to get a connection to the person behind the name. I'd have it in a place where you could pull off the highway, safely park and pay your respects. I was thinking that perhaps they could run down the route and you could buy a $5 map with the listing of all the plaques, and the money would go to the CFPSA. I have to figure out who to contact about it. Again thanks for all your support. If you have any ideas, feel free to add to it. Thanks :)

I have read through the subject topic looking for a question or an answer to my concern.... sorry if I missed it but I did try to find it.

My comment is this. Highway of Heroes sounds very good and will defiantly remind many that Canada was not only built with smiles but with hardship of others that undertook the duty in order for the rest to enjoy our lives as we do. Let me be the devil's advocate for one moment, again I do support this issue. I live in London, and a very important road called Airport Road was recently changes to Veterans Memorial Parkway (http://www.london.ca/Mainpage/news_veteransparkway_sept06.htm). Now what grabbed me, and later was written in the paper is the complete disregard by some drivers for the road, I’m referring to the vast litter that surrounds the side roads. Of course after the complaints, the city did try to clean the street up. However, it currently is returning to an unclean stretch of road. Is this a way to celebrate our veterans?

I was a happy with the change of the name, a small token of appreciation to such great people, but now I feel it keeps being a smack in the face. Like a memorial at a cemetery, we cut the grass, we water the plants, and we take general care of it… VMP seems to have little of that treatment, and is this fair?

So after writing my own experience I ask, after the name change is there a commitment, but the government, to up keep the stretch of road, better then others, that is named for the commitment of our troops? Because if they just change the name and don’t take that extra care in taking care of it, it just doesn’t seem right.

R.O.S. that's horrible that they've let it get that way, but I believe it may be an isolated incident. As you may very well know, the section of HWY #416 that runs from the 401 between Prescott and Cornwall to Ottawa is also a Veterans Memorial Parkway. This is probaly one of the cleanest sections of highway in eastern Ontario.

I don't think that litter will be any more of a problem than it is already, due to the fact that it is still part of a 400 series highway, and will be maintained by the same people who do it now.

Brockvegas said:
R.O.S. that's horrible that they've let it get that way, but I believe it may be an isolated incident. As you may very well know, the section of HWY #416 that runs from the 401 between Prescott and Cornwall to Ottawa is also a Veterans Memorial Parkway. This is probaly one of the cleanest sections of highway in eastern Ontario.

With all due respect, le me just say that the 416 (in its full length) is called Veteran's Memorial Highway (I'll say it before anyone:  NITPICKER!!! ;D)

There's also a memorial at exit 40 [??] right next to the carpool lot.

Highway, Parkway.....Six of one, half dozen of the other. I think you missed the point of my post, so here it is again;

"I don't think that litter will be any more of a problem than it is already, due to the fact that it is still part of a 400 series highway, and will be maintained by the same people who do it now."

Well, it's happened - just in time to get in before the writ is dropped (triggering an embargo on announcements).  I will give credit where due, in spite of my pessimism earlier.

"Highway of Heroes" Signs Unveiled Along Highway 401
Ontario Government Honours Canada's Fallen Soldiers

News release, 7 Sept 07

QUEEN'S PARK, ON, Sept. 7 /CNW/ - The Ontario government has formally dedicated the "Highway of Heroes" by unveiling signs along a stretch of Highway 401 that commemorate the bravery and sacrifice of Canadian soldiers, Premier Dalton McGuinty said today.

"The road that links Ontario and Quebec is named in honour of the two leaders who gave life to our young nation more than 140 years ago," said Premier McGuinty. "It is enormously fitting, then, that we dedicate a portion of this very road in honour of those who gave their lives for our nation."

New "Highway of Heroes" signs have been installed along the route, commemorating Canadian soldiers who have made the supreme sacrifice in the line of duty. This dedication pays tribute to the solemn journey fallen soldiers take once they return to Canada and are formally transported from
Trenton to Toronto. The 172-kilometre stretch of Highway 401 between Toronto and Trenton will keep its official name -- the Macdonald-Cartier Freeway.

These processions have drawn large crowds of mourners -- local residents, emergency service personnel and veterans -- who have gathered on nearby overpasses, waved flags and saluted in support of Canadian troops.

"The designation of this significant section of the Macdonald-Cartier Freeway honours the sacrifice given by Canada's military personnel in the service of our nation, and the support of our troops by all Ontario citizens," said Major-General Richard Rohmer, co-chair of Ontario's Veterans' Memorial
Advisory committee.

"We are creating a legacy in remembrance and respect of our troops who have courageously given their lives in the line of duty," said Transportation Minister Donna Cansfield. "Dedicating a stretch of Highway 401 that has become the route of fallen soldiers is a fitting honour for our fallen troops."

Highway 401 is Canada's busiest highway. It now joins several other Ontario highways that have been dedicated to the memory of Canada's war heroes. These include Ontario's Veterans Memorial Highway (Highway 416), the General Brock Highway (Highway 405) and the Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment Commemorative Highway (Highway 62).

"This Highway of Heroes reminds us that our freedom, safety and prosperity is often purchased by the sacrifices of others," said Premier McGuinty. "We owe them a great debt -- and while we can never repay that debt, we can see to it that their courage and commitment will always be remembered."

For further information: Premier's Media Office, (416) 314-8975

milnewstbay said:
    Highway 401 is Canada's busiest highway. It now joins several other Ontario highways that have been dedicated to the memory of Canada's war heroes. These include Ontario's Veterans Memorial Highway (Highway 416), the General Brock Highway (Highway 405) and the Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment Commemorative Highway (Highway 62).
WTF?  How did those Plough Jockeys get that?  Why was I not informed?  ;D

(PS: The official title of that regiment is "The Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment", not "the Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment".  Also note that "of Canada" is not part of their title.  Sorry, just some UFI for everyone)

holy crap! I'm so happy to see this go up this fast! I'm ecstatic! Thanks to everyone who signed, and how fitting it be on Red Friday!

I saw the highway of heros signs today, its basically the same provincial high marker (shield with crown on top) but in the centre it says highway of heroes, and there is a poppy in the centre.

160_highway_sign1_070907.jpg

The 'Highway of Heroes' sign is
seen near Trenton, Ont. on Hwy. 401.

'Highway of Heroes' signs officially unveiled
CTV.ca News Staff

The Ontario government has unveiled "Highway of Heroes" signs along a stretch of Highway 401, formally dedicating the route to Canada's fallen soldiers.

The 172-kilometre stretch, officially designated as the MacDonald-Cartier Freeway, extends from Toronto to Trenton.

It is the route taken to transport the bodies of fallen soldiers to the coroner's office in Toronto once they return to Canada.

Large crowds -- including veterans and emergency service personnel -- have routinely gathered on the highway's overpasses to wave flags in support of the troops.

Capt. Mark Bossi, who served in Afghanistan, fought back tears as he rode along the stretch with CTV Toronto.

"That's amazing -- it really is," Bossi said when he saw one of the signs. "It's on (Highway) 401 -- people are going to see them everyday."

The signs are in response to an online petition in support of renaming the highway that was overwhelmed with responses.

Bossi understands why the grassroots movement to dedicate the stretch grew so quickly.

"If you think about it, every soldier has a mom and dad," he said, his voice trembling.

"A lot of guys have wives and children. I think that's one of the reasons Canadians wanted the highway renamed."

Premier Dalton McGuinty said Friday that the signs will serve as a commemoration of the bravery and sacrifice of Canadian soldiers.

"The road that links Ontario and Quebec is named in honour of the two leaders who gave life to our young nation more than 140 years ago," said McGuinty. "It is enormously fitting, then, that we dedicate a portion of this very road in honour of those who gave their lives for our nation."

Ontario's provincial government consulted the federal government, municipalities along the highway and the Royal Canadian Legion before approving the name change.

"This Highway of Heroes reminds us that our freedom, safety and prosperity is often purchased by the sacrifices of others," McGuinty said. "We owe them a great debt -- and while we can never repay that debt, we can see to it that their courage and commitment will always be remembered."

With a report from CTV's Naomi Parness and files from The Canadian Press

- Located below the article in the link are comments for the story.  As you can imagine, some are very interesting and opinionated!

Way to go. Glad to see the support for the troops, and what a great day to choose Red Friday.  :salute: :cdn:

Back