• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Highway dedications, or building dedications questions

FormerHorseGuard

Reaction score
Is there anyone here who has arranged or been part of a group that has requested a highway or building dedication?
Looking for information with regards to Ontario.

Looking to have a roadway dedicated in memory.
I know some regimental associations have done this. Anyone here involved?
thanks in advance
Opie

I've not been part of any effort but I would think the first step would be to make contact with an elected official connected to what you are intending on naming and get them onside; you will need a champion or sponsor. Depending on your 'target', federal MP, provincial MPP/MLA/MNA, municipal councillor. In Ontario, bridges named in honour of fallen police officers has its own piece of legislation. I don't know if it has to go that far, but it would need some manner of motion, bylaw, etc. I assume they went with legislation for police memorials since it is an ongoing or enduring process rather than a one-off.

Good luck.

I've not been part of any effort but I would think the first step would be to make contact with an elected official connected to what you are intending on naming and get them onside; you will need a champion or sponsor. Depending on your 'target', federal MP, provincial MPP/MLA/MNA, municipal councillor. In Ontario, bridges named in honour of fallen police officers has its own piece of legislation. I don't know if it has to go that far, but it would need some manner of motion, bylaw, etc. I assume they went with legislation for police memorials since it is an ongoing or enduring process rather than a one-off.

Good luck.
I am past the MPP stage, now writing the proposal to the MTO and my MPP's office. I know a couple regiments have done this before I was hoping some one here had some experience or knowledge to share.

It starts with a $1000 donation to a stag and doe...
We wanted a street to be named after Mike. Our local councillor said it takes “a cash donation “ to the city. Fuck him and the city of Winnipeg. Yet a curling champ, a football player and other “notables” got a street named after them as soon as it was put forward.

Fuck Winnipeg

Since 1990 Guelph has had a policy that 50% of new streets be named after deceased war veterans.
As do a number of municipalities (although I don't know about specific policy parameters). My point was an ongoing policy requires a bylaw, legislation, etc. to authorize the actions of both elected and staff personnel on a continuing basis. A one-off requires much less.

I couldn't find any legislation authorizing a portion of Hwy 401 being designated as the Highway of Heroes, or 11/17 the Terry Fox Courage Highway and assume it was an MPP who simply convinced Cabinet that it was a good idea and they made a motion.

Looking for information with regards to Ontario.

Sounds like you are interested in provincial government .

But, if you are willing to consider municipal, you may, or may not, find this helpful.

YMMV, depending on municipality.

The SD&G out of Cornwall, and the Hasty Ps, have also done it, was just hoping for some input on what they did, how they did it etc. Hasty P has been helpful but waiting on the association to come in to answer my questions.
Maybe other Regiments in Ontario have done it too and might have some direction. I have the MTO package and writing my Proposal now. So looking down the road as what happens next.

Thanks
OPie

As do a number of municipalities (although I don't know about specific policy parameters). My point was an ongoing policy requires a bylaw, legislation, etc. to authorize the actions of both elected and staff personnel on a continuing basis. A one-off requires much less.

I couldn't find any legislation authorizing a portion of Hwy 401 being designated as the Highway of Heroes, or 11/17 the Terry Fox Courage Highway and assume it was an MPP who simply convinced Cabinet that it was a good idea and they made a motion.
It is done under the Memorial Dedications for Provincial Highways and/or Sections of Highways. Working on one right now

Since 1990 Guelph has had a policy that 50% of new streets be named after deceased war veterans.
My municipality recently named a bunch of new streets after the mayor and all the counselors. We have one street named after our war dead (a set of brothers). I don't necessarily disagree with the mayor because he wasn't seeking re-election after a long time in office, but I feel like there could have been a few other options.

Back