• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

High Ranking Police Folk Allegedly Behaving Badly

Not much media hype. But, California taxpayers had an expensive week.

The largest civil rights settlement of its kind by the state of California, and the second largest nationally since the city of Minneapolis paid $27 million in the George Floyd case.

Not much media hype. But, California taxpayers had an expensive week.

🤦🏼‍♂️ What the actual f**k…

🤦🏼‍♂️ What the actual f**k…

There's some boo boos on EDP scenes. And not just the police.

These were all police / EMS joint EDP scenes,

The video of City of Memphis paramedics off to the side, not actively engaging - simply watching, meandering and occasionally talking with the patient who was clearly in distress. No airway assessment, breathing, vital signs, spinal immobilization, oxygen etc. He died. Tyre Nicols .

With George Floyd, City of Minneapolis paramedics made the ill advised decsion to "load and go".

The NYC call where they failed to bring oxygen. One FDNY EMT failed to see he was dead, and talked to him for over two minutes. Eric Garner.

City of Dallas paramedics injected a sedative into a guy and watched him expire without providing basic care.

Failure to treat and transport an inmate in a Michigan jail who died of a cocaine OD.

City of Aurora Colorado paramedics who chemically restrained a guy who died.

Two Illinois paramedics charged with first-degree murder for mistreatment.

I think the culture goes back to when we focused our training on motor vehicle accidents. MVC 's were the foundation of our training. Not EDPs.

In fact, in the US, EMS is still under the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Not under Department of Health and Human Services or the Department of Homeland Security.

There's some boo boos on EDP scenes. And not just the police.

These were all police / EMS joint EDP scenes,

The video of City of Memphis paramedics off to the side, not actively engaging - simply watching, meandering and occasionally talking with the patient who was clearly in distress. No airway assessment, breathing, vital signs, spinal immobilization, oxygen etc. He died. Tyre Nicols .

With George Floyd, City of Minneapolis paramedics made the ill advised decsion to "load and go".

The NYC call where they failed to bring oxygen. One FDNY EMT failed to see he was dead, and talked to him for over two minutes. Eric Garner.

City of Dallas paramedics injected a sedative into a guy and watched him expire without providing basic care.

Failure to treat and transport an inmate in a Michigan jail who died of a cocaine OD.

City of Aurora Colorado paramedics who chemically restrained a guy who died.

Two Illinois paramedics charged with first-degree murder for mistreatment.

I think the culture goes back to when we focused our training on motor vehicle accidents. MVC 's were the foundation of our training. Not EDPs.

In fact, in the US, EMS is still under the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Not under Department of Health and Human Services or the Department of Homeland Security.
Damnit, you’re right.

When I think back to when I did my EMT course, a huge chunk of our scenarios were based on MVC’s or something similar, and securing/treating patients at high density events (concerts, hockey games, etc) where all of a sudden, every single chic within eyesight is a bloody nurse

Ofcourse the scenarios were more broad, and more specific skill focused - but you’re right - the foundation we really built on was MVC’s

- but you’re right - the foundation we really built on was MVC’s

That was the foundation of the department I hired on with. There was a huge network of provincial and municipal highways running through Metro.

No air bags, laminated and tempered glass, crumple zones, side impact protection beams, collapsible steering columns and padded dashboards, etc. If the car had seatblelts, using them was not mandatory until 1975.

Car fires were common. Now they have improved fuel system integrity and fire retardant materials.

I mean, it's clear here that you were a part of the problem, and didn't have any qualms turning a blind eye to injustice, as long as you could maintain some thin veneer of plausible deniability.

So... what would your proposed solution be? What would you suggest be put in place to ensure that police stop prioritizing covering up each other's abuse of authority, and instead focus on actually doing their damned job of promoting justice?

Don't have one. Retired 14 years ago. Just an observer now.

People currently on 9-1-1 operations may, or may not, have the solution .

With recording devices, it's a whole new ballgame.

oopsie....

RCMP apologize to dead Indigenous teen's family, saying investigation was never closed​

RCMP in Duncan, B.C., addressed rally for Carsyn Mackenzie Seaweed, saying case remains top priority​

RCMP initially released information saying that criminality was not suspected in the teenager's death, but 24 hours later issued a new statement saying 'circumstances surrounding her death are considered suspicious, and a criminal investigation remains ongoing.'

In an emotional address, RCMP in Duncan, B.C., located about 60 kilometres north of Victoria, publicly apologized to the family of 15-year-old Carsyn Mackenzie Seaweed on Friday — saying a miscommunication between police agencies resulted in incorrect information being released that the teenager's death was not being investigated as suspicious.

Seaweed, who was from the Namgis Nation and the Cowichan Tribes, disappeared in Duncan on May 14 while attending a local soccer tournament with her mother. She was found alive but weak the following day behind a Super 8 Motel off the Trans Canada highway and died a short while later.
The man who found her body told her family that she was under a wood pallet and covered in twigs and garbage.

RCMP initially released information saying that criminality was not suspected in the teenager's death, but 24 hours later, issued a new statement saying "circumstances surrounding her death are considered suspicious, and a criminal investigation remains ongoing."
RCMP said Thursday investigators didn't consider the death a homicide.

While not high-ranking, the questionable outcome of judicial proceedings related to police officers continues.

Don’t worry, constable, keeping doing your thing, just don’t threaten to kill your partner again and you won’t have a criminal record…

While not high-ranking, the questionable outcome of judicial proceedings related to police officers continues.

Don’t worry, constable, keeping doing your thing, just don’t threaten to kill your partner again and you won’t have a criminal record…

And get a 12% pay raise while you're suspended. :mad:

With a bit of luck, now that the criminal matter has concluded, his service’s internal disciplinary process can resume and they kick his ass out…

With a bit of luck, now that the criminal matter has concluded, his service’s internal disciplinary process can resume and they kick his ass out…

That would be nice.

Don't know how they do it in Ottawa. But, in the municipal, non-police, department I was a member of, guys ( with years of service and commendations ) were fired for unprofessional, off-duty, non-criminal, bad behavior.

No police charges. No judge. Just unprofessional off-duty conduct.

"Conduct unbecoming", I believe it is called in some military circles.

Professional conduct outside of profession​

Certain jobs require a high level of skill and a high level of trust from both employers and the public. For employees working in those types of positions, it’s possible that off-duty behaviour can call into question that trust, if it demonstrates poor judgment. And if an employer no longer has confidence that an employee has the judgment to perform a job of high skill and responsibility, the result could be dismissal.

That would be nice.

Don't know how they do it in Ottawa. But, in the municipal, non-police, department I was a member of, guys ( with years of service and commendations ) were fired for unprofessional, off-duty, non-criminal, bad behavior.

No police charges. No judge. Just unprofessional off-duty conduct.

"Conduct unbecoming", I believe it is called in some military circles.

Professional conduct outside of profession​

Police conduct in Ontario is legislated and regulated under the Police Services Act. There’s a similar professional disciplinary system, but one that is more directly a product of provincial law. A conduct matter generally is paused pending the outcome of a related criminal matter, lest the former taint the latter.

The system is far from ideal and has serious issues - you can sit suspended with pay for far too serious matters for far too long - but it is what it is. In the case at hand, one stage is now done and a conviction entered. Hopefully the latter stage purges the garbage employee.

In the case at hand, one stage is now done and a conviction entered. Hopefully the latter stage purges the garbage employee.

According to the news report, it was a Conditional Discharge .

A conditional discharge is similar to an absolute discharge because a finding of guilt is made, but no conviction is registered.

Without a conviction. Or, without even a criminal charge in the first place, how common is it for police in Ontario to be kicked out simply for dumb non-criminal off-duty mis-behavior?

In recent years, "inappropriate" social media comments have become one - but, hardly the only - cause of off-duty career suicides in our town's emergency services. Not sure about out of town.

It's easy enough to get kicked out for off-duty behavior, even without a criminal charge.

eg:

The system is far from ideal and has serious issues - you can sit suspended with pay for far too serious matters for far too long - but it is what it is. In the case at hand, one stage is now done and a conviction entered. Hopefully the latter stage purges the garbage employee.

Isn't one of the reasons the OPP officer who videotaped himself raping an unconscious woman hasn't been fired is because he wasn't given jail time? I could be wrong it but seems giving police no jail sentence lets them avoid being fired. There seems to be a trend of giving police probation and conditional discharges too.

Police conduct in Ontario is legislated and regulated under the Police Services Act. There’s a similar professional disciplinary system, but one that is more directly a product of provincial law. A conduct matter generally is paused pending the outcome of a related criminal matter, lest the former taint the latter.

We have that problem here. Suspended with pay for 3 or 4 years while the case gets shuffled. At the last moment, usually just before the final hearing, the person resigns and there ends the professional conduct case.

According to the news report, it was a Conditional Discharge .

Without a conviction. Or, without even a criminal charge in the first place, how common is it for police in Ontario to be kicked out simply for dumb non-criminal off-duty mis-behavior?

In recent years, "inappropriate" social media comments have become one - but, hardly the only - cause of off-duty career suicides in our town's emergency services. Not sure about out of town.

It's easy enough to get kicked out for off-duty behavior, even without a criminal charge.

eg:

He was still convicted of an offense. A conditional discharge means he won’t have a criminal record long term if he completes his probation- but the fact of his conviction remains a fact and I’m sure will be considered by the disciplinary board.

I can’t say how often police are fired for non-criminal misconduct. It does happen.

Isn't one of the reasons the OPP officer who videotaped himself raping an unconscious woman hasn't been fired is because he wasn't given jail time? I could be wrong it but seems giving police no jail sentence lets them avoid being fired. There seems to be a trend of giving police probation and conditional discharges too.

I think in that case the issue was that a custodial sentence is the current threshold for suspension without pay, but I may be off on that. A disciplinary board definitely doesn’t need a jail sentence to dismiss someone from police service. However, the power to suspend without pay while a conduct matter is adjudicated is extremely limited. Even if someone is convicted of an offence in criminal court today, that court doesn’t order their dismissal. A separate internal hearing does that, and that’s it’s own process that takes time.

We have that problem here. Suspended with pay for 3 or 4 years while the case gets shuffled. At the last moment, usually just before the final hearing, the person resigns and there ends the professional conduct case.

Yup. I’d personally like to see the ability to suspend with pay if there are sufficiently serious allegations.

Continuing liability for conduct while a peace officer even once retired would also be a step forward.

Continuing liability for conduct while a peace officer even once retired would also be a step forward.
They remain liable for any criminal offences.

Are there any other professions (besides CAF) that can follow you with professional conduct sanctions such as fines after ending employment/licensing/registration with the professional body? I’m asking out of ignorance.

Back