• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

High Ranking Police Folk Allegedly Behaving Badly

The commission launched an investigation into the Durham Region police service in 2019 after allegations of "corruption, criminality and serious misconduct", said Peter Brauti, the lawyer representing the complainants told CBC News at the time.

The province later appointed an administrator to oversee the force.

It's unclear if the charge against Bertrim is connected to that investigation.

Unfortunately, amendments to the Police Act in Ontario (and its related regulations) were called off by the Ford government, so there is no ongoing liability once an individual resigns.

Deceit? That's not one I can remember hearing used before.

May, or may not, be a relevant reference to the discussion.

No judgement intended.

Ontario Police Act

32. A police officer shall not deceive or mislead any person in relation to the officer’s
duties, the officer’s employment or the administration of justice through any act or omission,
except to the extent required or authorized for the purpose of carrying out the officer’s duties.

Always told the 100% pure truth to your bosses?? Deceit it is then........do you think you should be fired?
The thing is I'm not a deputy police chief in charge of police officers who are empowered to uphold the law. I'm not someone whose credibility in court needs to be beyond question otherwise criminals can go free.

Sgt, did M/Cpl Moron fall asleep during his watch? [already been looked after by you via internal discipline]

No Sir.

Would never happen, right?

EDIT: not saying there isn't something here, but 'deceit' seams weak, weak, weak as a charge. Like hands in pocket....

The thing is I'm not a deputy police chief in charge of police officers who are empowered to uphold the law. I'm not someone whose credibility in court needs to be beyond question otherwise criminals can go free.
You have to stop questioning things. Haven't you learned yet? :D

Unfortunately, amendments to the Police Act in Ontario (and its related regulations) were called off by the Ford government, so there is no ongoing liability once an individual resigns.
That wasn't going to/won't change. Section 206(1) of the Community Safety and Policing Act (not in force):

206 (1) If a police officer who is the subject of an investigation under section 198 or a process to impose a disciplinary measure or combination of disciplinary measures under section 200 or 202 resigns before a disciplinary measure is imposed, no further action shall be taken under this Part after the date of resignation.

Given that the severest penalty is termination, and others involve suspension and forfeiture of time, hanging onto jurisdiction after they have resigned seems rather pointless.

Sgt, did M/Cpl Moron fall asleep during his watch? [already been looked after by you via internal discipline]

No Sir.

Would never happen, right?

EDIT: not saying there isn't something here, but 'deceit' seams weak, weak, weak as a charge. Like hands in pocket....
I don't know buddy. Deceit seems like a huge thing for police to be accused (and especially guilty) of.

the action or practice of deceiving someone by concealing or misrepresenting the truth.

Police not telling the truth can ruin people's lives and cost them tens of thousands in court fees. I think it's more dangerous than police assaulting someone.

Const. Nicole Chan's tragic story comes to mind. Sgt. David Van Patten pressured her to conceal the truth.

Didn't say he deceited the public, could have been he covered for a patrol officer who fell asleep during a night shift.
You always go for the throat when it comes to LEO's.

Bringing up one horrible example does not a case make.....

The discipline of the officers is his. He doesn’t need to cover for anyone- this would be a big deal (I would suspect) for the chief to be charged with it. I’ll be interested to see the circumstances. Im guessing like you guys though.

Didn't say he deceited the public, could have been he covered for a patrol officer who fell asleep during a night shift.
You have a soild point. It could be something internal and seemingly insignificant.

I think the police (and military) do a lot of covering for each other. They/we get a way with a lot. If he's being hit with a charge after a 4 year investigation I'm guessint it's more than someone falling asleep on shift and it's beyond getting covered up.

You always go for the throat when it comes to LEO's.
Very true. I like to think with LEOs AND the military (senior ncms and officers especially).

Both have a lot of power over people and can easily ruin lives.

So the allegation is that he did ‘make or sign a false, misleading or inaccurate statement pertaining to an official record or in a statement regarding a police officer’s duties; – destroy, conceal, alter or erase an entry in an official document or record.’

This is a serious allegation. Also- it pertains to the investigation into previous misconduct by the previous chief.

That allegation was that: The preliminary findings alleged the "senior administration allowed, tolerated, encouraged, participated in, and/or was wilfully blind to workplace harassment of all kinds, intimidation of subordinates, retaliatory discipline, and potential alleged criminal conduct and/or misconduct under the [Police Services Act]."

So the deceit is related to that accusation. Which was leveled against the senior managers and chief. But the chief resigned and the proceedings stopped.

It’s significant. I bet he resigns before the hearing.

So the allegation is that he did ‘make or sign a false, misleading or inaccurate statement pertaining to an official record or in a statement regarding a police officer’s duties; – destroy, conceal, alter or erase an entry in an official document or record.’

This is a serious allegation. Also- it pertains to the investigation into previous misconduct by the previous chief.

That allegation was that: The preliminary findings alleged the "senior administration allowed, tolerated, encouraged, participated in, and/or was wilfully blind to workplace harassment of all kinds, intimidation of subordinates, retaliatory discipline, and potential alleged criminal conduct and/or misconduct under the [Police Services Act]."

So the deceit is related to that accusation. Which was leveled against the senior managers and chief. But the chief resigned and the proceedings stopped.

It’s significant. I bet he resigns before the hearing.
Yes, in that case it's time to go.......dickwad.

Meanwhile, in Northern BC....

Prince George RCMP officers charged with manslaughter​

Counts stem from July 2017 death of Dale Culver; three other officers charged with attempting to obstruct justice

Cst. Paul Ste-Marie and Cst. Jean Francois Monette now face the count in relation to the July 18, 2017 death of Dale Culver.
As well, three other officers -- Cst. Arthur Dalman, Cst. Clarence (Alex) Alexander MacDonald, and Sgt. Bayani (Jon) Eusebio Cruz -- have been charged with attempting to obstruct justice in relation to the incident, BCPS said.

Culver's death sparked an investigation by B.C.'s civilian based police watchdog, the Independent Investigation Office. In March 2020, IIO chief civilian director Ronald J. MacDonald forwarded a report to the BCPS in which he recommended that charges be laid.

Well sure; most murders are committed by someone known to the victim. That meme shows a stat stripped of context and presented so as to be deliberately inflammatory. Obviously when police respond to something violent they seldom personally know the subject. Police usually don’t get to choose how much the suspect escalates the violence. While policing in the states has lots of issues, most serious use of force situations, even there, are still a direct product of the threat the suspect chooses to present.

Back