• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Heritage Minutes

Nieghorn

Inactive
Reaction score
I know I'm not dreaming this, but there was a heritage minute which featured a Canuck peacekeeper getting in between a Turk and a Greek on Cyprus, right?

I was browsing the videos at histori.ca and couldn't find it.  Emailed them, and the person who answered didn't know (assuming they were just the web person, not a history nerd like me).

Anyone?

You were not dreaming it.  I vaguely remember it as well.  I think the story actually started with some background on UN peacekeeping and then concluded with the vignette of the Canadian soldier jumping out of a jeep and imposing himself between what was likely a Greek and a Turk, and one of them spat ".. Canadians should go home, this isn't your concern..."  or something to that affect.  Can't remember if the minute long piece was on peacekeeping in general or the Cyprus mission specifically.  Good luck - it might be out there somewhere.

Found a long listing of the Heritage minutes at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritage_Minutes

Didn't see the Cyprus one, but there are a fair number of military related vignettes, including several I don't remember seeing.

Yup it was on TV years ago.  I remember it cause it was really relevant then as I had just returned from Cyprus so it must have been on somewhere from 88 to 92ish.  The Greek and Turk were civies IIRC.

Mods any chance of move to Military Histry?  ;)

I to seem to remember this. Not so much from the vignette but from a book wriiten on some of the early peacekeeping mission. I think it may even have the exact dialouge and personal cited. Will check tonight and post if no one else has come up with it.

Was this one not released around the same time as the Peacekeeping Monument was dedicated??

I believe that the vignette circulated as dedication to Canada's Military be awarded the Noble Peace Prize??

The vignette was not limited to Cyprus, but also had scenes included in it of some of us who served in UNTAG Namibia circa 1989, and scenes from various other Peacekeeping & Peacemaking missions.

Bern,
I think the title was In the Eye of the Storm: A History of Canadian Peacekeeping Gaffen, Fred. Toronto, Deneau & Wayne. 1987. You may want to pick it up anyways as it has a couple of worthwhile chapters.

Hmmmm, still can't find the Cyprus one, but I did find one on You Tube that I hadn't seen before on the Congo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX_Pfb_G8nE

Cheers.

I'm really not quite sure that it's a Heritage Minute you guys are looking for.

As I posted earlier, there was something that circulated way back when about Canada's Peecekeepers, but I can't remember it's context. It was more of a commercial/publicity announcement:

It was either:

1) a run-up to the official dedication of the Peacekeeping Monument; or

2) based on our being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

There were Peacekeepers from different tours shown in it; I recognized one from UNTAG Namibia when they showed her close-up atop a little hill over there in her blue beret. Really I did.  ;)

For your viewing or listening pleasure:

Peacekeeper to the World

"For half a century, Canada's Blue Berets have defused escalating tension and conflict with their peacekeeping missions. The United Nations Blue Berets have come to symbolize reconciliation and idealism. Initially, Canadians regarded our peacekeepers as a point of pride - our noble contribution to the global community. But with time, Canada was forced to measure the costs of success and the harsh realities of loss. CBC Archives examines five pivotal peacekeeping missions including the Suez crisis, the Cyprus mission, the Congo operation, the East Timor success and the Rwandan retreat."http://archives.cbc.ca/IDD-1-71-1290/conflict_war/blue_berets/

Back