• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Herc on Floats for Spec Ops?

Actually you need both.
While you can LAPES a boat/equipment in the water (it has been alleged that certain water craft can even have personnel in them for this - color me not interested in being on one), I think this has more of a retrieval of personnel and equipment aspect, as opposed to insertion or sustainment - and not as a "emergency landing option"

Insertions can be done off subs - but if you have a hot extraction, few subs want to be in shallow water against a pursuit - and a Herc can get in fairly quick and out --- BUT it needs to be able to take off after.

Again - I am not a pilot, but after 'sitting' with the crew chiefs and counting over 400 holes in the Blackhawk we just landed in -- I appreciate getting out of dodge as fast as one can...

Neither a pilot nor a member of the military, but if the goal is quick extraction, one wonders how fast a float-equipped Herc could get off the water. Obviously we don't know but I have my doubts that, as our Turbo Beaver pilot liked to say, it would take off 'like a home sick angel'. Also, I tend to agree with another post that it would probably fly like a brick.

The idea never dies.

Not a pilot, but the effectice load capacity after subtracting tbe weight of the floats and extra fuel for a given range would seem to me to make the useful load about that of a Skyvan or CASA the only advantage being water landing/takeoff. On the maintenance side however, a nightmare in salt water operation. Having seen Twotter floats up close I seriously doubt the cost effectiveness of this concept.

Neither a pilot nor a member of the military, but if the goal is quick extraction, one wonders how fast a float-equipped Herc could get off the water. Obviously we don't know but I have my doubts that, as our Turbo Beaver pilot liked to say, it would take off 'like a home sick angel'. Also, I tend to agree with another post that it would probably fly like a brick.

You ever been in a plane that wouldn't come "unstuck" while you watch the mountain get closer? And the pilot is more nervous than you?

I would hate to pound rivets on those floats, mind you more then likely bigger compartments to fit in as opposed to Beaver or Otter Floats, or dreaded 172 floats.
Overall the plan more then likely will work very well as long as, oh wait it will fail the government is involved.

Ask Viking Air to make it happen and pay their costs and it will work.
You ever been in a plane that wouldn't come "unstuck" while you watch the mountain get closer? And the pilot is more nervous than you?
Nope but I have fixed a few plans that were lets say to moose heavy to clear the trees at the end of a lake.

The idea never dies.

Not a pilot, but the effectice load capacity after subtracting tbe weight of the floats and extra fuel for a given range would seem to me to make the useful load about that of a Skyvan or CASA the only advantage being water landing/takeoff. On the maintenance side however, a nightmare in salt water operation. Having seen Twotter floats up close I seriously doubt the cost effectiveness of this concept.

The drag is going to be an issue, but it’s got markings on it for AAR so that should help.

wouldn't a modern flying boat be a better alternative or even a land effect aircraft such as the Russians have. A herc on floats would be a pig

Not mountains but trees at the far end of the lake. Have also watched a plane go around a lake a couple times, or rocking up on one float to reduce drag while simultaneously trying not to dig the opposite wingtip in the water. I also watch a pilot pick evergreen out of the space between the elevator and stabilizer.

Seen lots of scales on commercial docks - never saw one used.

wouldn't a modern flying boat be a better alternative or even a land effect aircraft such as the Russians have. A herc on floats would be a pig
The new Herc’s are NOT shy of power.
1) We have Herc’s
2) Herc replacement isn’t scheduled for a while
3) The cargo ramp of the Herc is a key aspect to this.

4) The USAF has no interest in developing a boat.
(G2G breaks open the mattress safe and pulls out all his chips and ups the ante pushing them all into the centre of the table)

“The heck with the C-17…I’m going all in! Yup, that’s right, spend my money! Put the C-5 on floats!”

(G2G breaks open the mattress safe and pulls out all his chips and ups the ante pushing them all into the centre of the table)

“The heck with the C-17…I’m going all in! Yup, that’s right, spend my money! Put the C-5 on floats!”
Too bad the fine folks who build Antonovs are busy doing other things, That. Would. Be. AWESOME!

Well if nothing else the footage from the accidents will be awesome.
I am far from an expert but this just screams really, really bad idea to me.
Mind you I have seen at least one drawing of a C 130 with a flying boat hull. Now that at least made more sense than floats.

Back