• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Helping a friend

211RadOp

Reaction score
Last week an old friend sent me this note:

Hey Al;
I have a favor to ask...my son recieved a flight suit that was my dad's back in the 60's and I can't find any history on it online. If I send you a picture of it could you maybe get your dad to look at it and possibly give me some information on it? Dad was a paratrooper in the 60's, along with being on the bomb squad too then.
Thanks

I know he ended his career with CE, but I am waiting to hear back from her as to what trade he started as.

Here are the pics.  Any info would be appreciated.

It's not a badge/patch.  It's a piece of plastic sewn into the suit measuring 3.5" x 2.5".  Here is some more she sent about it at the same time.

The flap on the left side has two small holes in it (where you see the white dot and just below that one) I don't know what the reason for the flap, it's on the outside and the left side is open while all other sides are stitched .
The clip on the left leg is puzzling too, it's a metal clip wrapped with what looks like the old gun tape, indestructable, this is one puzzling suit.

It looks like the flight suit the Army rotary wing pilots wore back in the 1960s ... but that was a looooong time ago and both my eys and memory are weak.

The "indestructable" clip was used to hold a paper map and notes re: e.g.radio frequencies on the pilot's knee. The little Hiller helicopter (which was used for recce and C&L in those days) had a compass but nothing else by way of NavAids.

10264_001.jpg

I remember wearing a flight suit very similar to this when I was an Air Cadet in the '70s.

I know he wasn't a pilot.  When I met him in the 80's he was a WO.  His daughter mentioned he was with the "Bomb squad" back in the 60's which would lead me to believe he was Combat Engineer back then.  Maybe an Air Observer?

Back