• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Help Require for Another Badge Identification (Possibly Medical Related)

Walt

Donor
Inactive
Reaction score
Hello All,

Once again, your help is solicited to possibly identify the cap badge in the following attachment. Consensus on another forum is that it is "health services" related. Any enlightenment will be appreciated. Many Thanks.

Walt

Attachments

• unknown_medical.jpg
    unknown_medical.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Hello All,

Once again, your help is solicited to possibly identify the cap badge indicated at the following link. Consensus on another forum is that it is "health services" related. Any enlightenment will be appreciated:

Many thanks,

Walt
I'm not sure about others, but I can't access the linked forum.

Sorry, dead link replaced with attached file.

Walt

Attachments

• unknown_medical.jpg
    unknown_medical.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 21
Weird that it has no bottom rocker or motto.

It doesn't look like a real capbage. Although, if I had to guess, I would say that it is from the unification era.

Thanks so far to all for your opinions. In my many years researching this insignia, it has been suggested that it may have pertained to an organization, or branch of some service, which was named "Nurses of the North". Another source sites that it pertains to Health and Welfare Canada. I have yet to discover a conclusive answer!

DA,

I've already checked that source, to no avail. Thank you for the suggestion!!

Medical Intelligence geeks from DGHS or whatever they are this week?

MM,

:ROFLMAO: Can't blame them! I first became aware of the subject insignia in 1978!

I'm starting to believe that the badge which represents this organization may have been something created by one or two of the provinces. Perhaps it was a "purposely created" health unit to assist the indigenous citizens in northern Ontario, Quebec, and perhaps even the territories??

It's not really a caduceus though.

1bc64d2f5cbe55454acb435f7c740c8b.jpg

That thing looks more like a serpent wrapped around an arrow (something symbolizing a deadly strike type of thing maybe) which makes me think that maybe it's misnamed as an "unknown medical" - unless maybe there's an "immunization corps/branch" :giggle:

Great input & opinions so far! I highly value the knowledge by the forum contributors.

Upon further consideration, my description of the insignia as being a "cap badge" may be incorrect. It may simply be a pocket or lapel badge to ID the members of the team/organization. I will post more detailed photos within the near future. Once again, many thanks,

Walt

The facts that it has colour and employs the St. Edward's Crown suggests that it is relatively modern. From 1902 to 1953 the royal symbol used the Tutor Crown (as in Weinie's link).

It's not really a caduceus though.

1bc64d2f5cbe55454acb435f7c740c8b.jpg

That thing looks more like a serpent wrapped around an arrow (something symbolizing a deadly strike type of thing maybe) which makes me think that maybe it's misnamed as an "unknown medical" - unless maybe there's an "immunization corps/branch" :giggle:
A serpent wrapped around an arrow is a symbol of dentistry (at least in the USA), making me suspect some sort of dental association. I've tried searching snake, serpent, arrow, compass, compass rose... all coming up empty so far. An interesting question, this one...

A serpent wrapped around an arrow is a symbol of dentistry (at least in the USA), making me suspect some sort of dental association. I've tried searching snake, serpent, arrow, compass, compass rose... all coming up empty so far. An interesting question, this one...
Not quite, I think.

The symbol for dentistry, as for much of health care, is the Rod or Staff of Asclepius.

The US Dental Association uses this:

dentistry-symbol.jpg

Do you know the meaning behind the official symbol of dentistry?

The Canadian Dental Association uses this:

1616518882443.jpeg

The Dental Corps crest looks like this:

Royal_Canadian_Dental_Corps_badge_2013.png

And their old cap badge, like this:

s-l300.jpg

The first one, the American Dental Association, does look close to an arrow but doesn't have the same tail fletching as the badge the OP posted. That's a big change from all of the other health care representations of the rod and snake and must mean something.

🍻

Back