• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Help Identifying Uniform

Okay, I just got off the phone with my aunt. She says it is most definitely my great grandfather, and when asked about the fact that he looks so young, she said it's all in perception. He looks young because I'm getting older.... :)

He apparently trained at Aldershot and was hoping to get overseas, but only got as far as Newfoundland. Does that info help at all? Or did everyone train at Aldershot?

Well just to make this even more complicated. A review of my references on Second World War cap badges gives us a couple of more possibilities.

All of these units had maple leaf styled badges:

The Saskatoon Light Infantry
14th Canadian Hussars
The Royal Hamilton Light Infantry
The Fort Garry Horse

Edit just saw your last post so we can possibly eliminate all units that went overseas.

Niner technically yes, but I'm differentiating between those who made it as far as Europe.

Ok the 7th Infantry Division were responsible for defending Atlantic Canada during the war, but I can’t find anything re them garrisoning Nfld. Some of the units that made up the Division cap badges though could be a match. It was raised in 1941.

It’s possible that your Great grand father joined up earlier and only made it as far as Nfld due to his age. I’v e read more than one account of the older troops who enlisted in 1939 being replaced by younger ones and sent back home while the Canadian Army trained in England.

Lots of units trained in Aldershot and later Debert if I'm not mistaken.

Okay well, I've sent an email off to the local paper to start my journey of tracking down his obituary in order to obtain his service record. I've also got a call into what I think may be th eLegion he belonged to but they're out till Tueday.

Thank you one and all for your help, I'll let you know what I find out!

Well, you have some good clues, if they are accurate.  Now you need to track down what Units trained in Aldershot, NS., and were sent to Newfoundland. 

I would suspect that you would be looking at The West Nova Scotia Regiment, or a Regiment that was raised in that part of Nova Scotia.

Have you tried our Wiki pages, or perhaps the Wikipedia pages elsewhere?

If you find his obituary, his Unit most likely would be listed in it.  If not, and you find what Legion he belonged to, they may have a record.

Back