• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HELP!!! I need some clarification on some Infantry Dismounted Attack Doctrine

armybuck041

Donor
Inactive
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I need some help to settle a bet with my OC.

During our ROE Trg for Op Athena III the point was brought up that we are instinctivly trained to "Double Tap" the centre of visible mass of a target. This kinda goes against the ROE's as they strongly advise to use deliberate aimed "Shots" with the aim of avoiding collateral damage.

Now i'm not here to discuss ROE's as they are painful and subject to differing opinions and that is not my focus with this post.

While performing dismounted Section Attacks, the action on effective enemy fire is to: "Double Tap", "Dash", "Down".... etc...etc...etc
(Keep in mind i'm a Sapper, so we may be a tad outta date) regardless...

What I need to know is where is it in "Writing and Doctrine" that we are to "Doube Tap" targets?

I need some quick answers on this as he thinks that this is something we picked up from the Brits and never really existed on paper anywhere. So my credibiltiy as a Snr NCO could be at stake here :)

The Infantry School was teaching the double tap last time I was there . . .

The Army Electronic Library does not have Infantry Platoon & Section in Battle.  That publication is probably where you would find what you are looking for.

I don't see this in Shoot to Live or in Fieldcraft

In my opinion we are confusing doctrine, TTPs, ROEs and shooting technique here. Here is my take: (I defer to any SME):

Doctrine is usually concerned with operations at levels above section: it sets the broad operational/tactical stage in which we then apply the TTPs such as how we actually attack a trench, search a room, throw a grenade, etc.

ROEs vary from mission to mission, but generally do not say how many rounds are to be fired: how would you apply that to an automatic weapon or to an indirect fire support weapon (all of which we have on missions these days...). They do say the rounds are to be "aimed" (I hope you would do that anyway) and that the response is to be "proportionate". "Proportionate"  doe not mean "ineffective": it means what seems reasonable to the shooter (or the tactical commander) given the threat. However, when we shoot AT people , as opposed to just warning shots, we are shooting to kill. "Shooting to wound" is IMHO Hollywood BS.

That brings us to shooting technique, which is where we find "double tap". Double tap, combined with an point of aim on the centre of visible mass, is a more effective way to kill without wasting half a mag on auto, or wasting a whole crowd of people. It is not suited to every situation: if you are being overrun, you would probably be inclined to let them have that half mag (if  not more...) along with a few belts of whatever you've got handy.

That's how I see it. Other opinions? Cheers.

Armybuck041

I won't worry about your credibility concerns with respect to the issue of a â Å“double tap.â ?
B-GL-309-003/FT-001 Infantry Section and Platoon in Battle, Chapter 5, Figure 5-2-2
This is the table that shows Section Battle Drill Number Two  Reaction to Effective Enemy Fire.  This is the whole double tap, dash, down, crawl, observe. blah, blah, blah.

I would add that this is one of the seven section battle drills.  This would be action taken under LOAC or once under ROEs you had decided this is the time for deadly force.

The seven section battle drills are:

Battle Drill One  Preparation for battle,

Battle Drill Two  Reaction to effective enemy fire,

Battle Drill Three  Locating the enemy,

Battle Drill Four  Winning the fire fight,

Battle Drill Five  The Approach,

Battle Drill Six  The Assault, and

Battle Drill Seven  Consolidation.

Hmm
Ok, what you are refering to is called "Reflex Fire" although I do not have time to find out exactly where it is, I will give you a link that ties this into the offensive action that a section would do, it should help as it is a lesson plan:

http://armyapp.forces.gc.ca/38cbg_arsd/CD/sq/mlp/PO102DefensiveOps/102-06Observestudytheground.doc

good luck!

right well I'm British not Canadian but I'm interested in how you do things.
we go by a acronym of PREWAR
patrol
reaction (to effective enemy fire)
effective fire (dash, down, crawl, observe, sights, return)
winning the firefight
assault/attack
REORG.

I have a copy of the 1976 Section and Platoon in Battle, which does not mention a "double tap" as part of the contact drill (reaction to effective enemy fire).  Neither does the associated Aide memoire isued the same year.

I also have, from The RCR BaTtle School, a Section Battle Drills (Dismounted) aide memoire, dated March 1989, that includes the following:

BATTLE DRILL 3 - CONTACT

Order: "Contact"

Action:1. FIRE 'double tap' to force enemy to take cover ........2. DASH ..... 3. DOWN .... 4. CRAWL ..... 5. OBSERVE ..... 6. SIGHTS ..... 7. FIRE ...... 8. COMMUNICATE ..... 9. MOVEMENT ......

Edit - given the date of the original post, I guess this info's a little late.

that's how we got taught at the RCR battle school last year micheal.
really the way it was explained to me was not to look through the scope but if you're lucky enough to have one of them scopes that still has the battlesights on the top of it, you use those to make sure you're in the proper area of aim from where the shot came from, then you do whatever you're doing (section attack, patrol, whatever)
Greg

I've heard PREWAAR, but as a memory-device for the Seven Steps of Battle:

Prepare for battle
React to effective enemy fire
Establish enemy location
Win the firefight
Advance
Assault
Reorg and consolidate

Doesn't get much simpler than that....

Prepare for battle
React to effective enemy fire