• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Helmet upgrades ? MICH / ACH style pads in CAF style kevlar, any one done one?

OH MY GOD!!!

I just installed mine!!

BLSS.jpg

Has anyone out there been getting away with wearing a MICH ACU helmet with a CADPAT cover on it? 

COBRA-6 said:
Wow, and I thought using the $0.99 US donut-shaped foam pad was high speed...  ;D

Does anyone know of a Canadian retailer or kit shop that sells these? I'm looking for a cheap and temporary way to make the helmet more comfortable. I see that bulletproofme.com has them but I don't know yet if they're willing to mail them to Canada...

CS51 said:
Does anyone know of a Canadian retailer or kit shop that sells these? I'm looking for a cheap and temporary way to make the helmet more comfortable. I see that bulletproofme.com has them but I don't know yet if they're willing to mail them to Canada...

I don't know of any Canadian Retailers that sell them.  If you want one you will most likely have to get it from the US.  I've ordered lots of stuff from the states an no retailers have had any issues with shipping to Canada. With the exception of ISTAR(?) restricted items.

Couple Canadian Retailers that sell Spydex an BLSS kits though.

CS51 said:

I know CP gear has helmet pads, they even have them installed into a helmet you can try on.  But, I was wondering if anyone had tried it and could say whether or not they are a good buy?

Gandhi said:
I know CP gear has helmet pads, they even have them installed into a helmet you can try on.  But, I was wondering if anyone had tried it and could say whether or not they are a good buy?

LOL, friendly reminder here: Check the date of the post you're replying to.

You just Zombie'd a thread that had been dead for a year.

I realize that, yet why start a new post when there is 90% of the info I need, just looking for the extra bit that wasn't included.

Do a search for Skydex. Reviews, comments, photos...

Gandhi said:
I had Skydex pads in for a few years but really wasn't happy with it.  I went with an Oregon Aero setup and was very happy.  There was someone selling Skydex pads for about $30 around here, which is a good value.  But at there regular price (90ish?) I would definitely opt for the BLSS.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/58196/post-961067.html#msg961067

The use of the "American" style helmet pads is forbidden by the Canadian Forces. Don't get caught using them....

Infanteer90 said:
The use of the "American" style helmet pads is forbidden by the Canadian Forces. Don't get caught using them....

RCR?

:D

Infanteer90 said:
I've been using them for almost 4 years now, including (especially) on operations.  As has a lot of my CoC.

Yes, certain folks don't want you using them, so do so at your own risk....

I can speak for 2VP in that they were A-OK for TF 1-08, but they are verboten around the battalion these days. Most of the CoC turns a blind eye, but keep the innards of your lid out of sight while the Q or the RSM are around...

Frankly, if I can get away with using the pad kit on PLQ, it should not be too hard to sneak it by their CoC with a minimum of effort.

Illegio said:
Most of the CoC turns a blind eye, but keep the innards of your lid out of sight while the Q or the RSM are around...

Best advice here, out of sight out of mind.

Infanteer90 said:
The reason that they are forbidden for use in the CF is because they decrease the level of head protection, not due to the "dress regs" or the "never pass a fault" philosophy.  Although they look to be superficially the same on the outside, apparently the US helmet system is significantly different from the Canadian helmet system.  Therefore, aftermarket items like the Oregon Aero pads which are designed for the US helmet won't offer the same level of protection with our helmet, which is designed to work as a system with the sometimes uncomfortable string/leather suspension.  Something to do with the memory foam transmitting the shock of a blast directly to the skull rather than attenuating it due to the stand-off distance.  This according to our BIO who is working with the DRDC folks.

Have a bioscience officer give you the presentation on what aftermarket kits do in an IED explosion - if your Pl 2IC is smart, he'll inspect helmets.  I have since went back to my original helmet lining.

Not an IED, but my personal anecdotal evidence has shown the Skydex pad kit to be more effective than the issued suspension system. I can laugh off blows to the head that are painful to others not wearing a pad kit. Think helmet to helmet contact.

If someone has the presentation, I would love to look at it. As it is, I am cynically skeptical about the bioscience officer results. Would he/she be from the same crew that designed the new rucksack?

Dissident said:
Not an IED, but my personal anecdotal evidence has shown the Skydex pad kit to be more effective than the issued suspension system. I can laugh off blows to the head that are painful to others not wearing a pad kit. Think helmet to helmet contact.

If someone has the presentation, I would love to look at it. As it is, I am cynically skeptical about the bioscience officer results. Would he/she be from the same crew that designed the new rucksack?

No, but they are from the same crew that peels blasted pieces of kit out of vehicles and examines how they acted in a critical incident like an IED blast.  Kit is compared to injuries and recomendations are made to the chain of command.  When it becomes a genuine safety issue for my soldiers, I'd rather be a d**k then see him more hurt than he need be if s**t goes south.  Same with the UnderArmour T-shirt issue before.

Understandable. Maybe the pad kits will go the same way Dragon Skin armor went.

I am still interested in the presentation and the data before I change my mind.

Back