• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Helmet upgrades ? MICH / ACH style pads in CAF style kevlar, any one done one?

Britney Spears said:
Are you talking about the same one the Israeli fellows in the first pic are using? Because we're STILL using those....

not the same, that one your thinking of is the soft "newer" version M1967 if my memory holds, I believe those where out in like 1967 and up, we had like one of those, the rest of us had the older M1957 versions.  The '57 had multiple overlapping 4"x4"x1/4" hard plates (not like todays hard plates) around bottom, waist area.  The plates where in nylon pouches under the outer cover.  Under these over lapping plates was the soft-ballistic nylon, not sure I'd call it Kelvar, that made up the majority of the vest, upper chest, back etc.  No Velcro, just an metal zipper and snaps.... no collar... the M1967 had a collar, that was a sytlist vest back it's day....

Only the helo crews had the big ass plates that are the grand daddy of todays chest/back hard plates.

25 pounds of crap that didn't stop much more then shrapnel.  We tested a few with pistol ammo, it sort of worked, but no one wanted to test it while wearing it... 5.56mm cut right on through. oh so much fun doing PT it those....

The USMC used them up into the late very early 80's.  Thats when the PASGT (early IDF Clone body armor) first came out first issued to MEU's and grunts.
The USMC has a long history of using old US Army gear long after the Army gives up on it,  Nice to see that tradition is ending or pretty much stopped today.

The IDF still uses the M1967 soft vest, mostly reservists...  not sure why, maybe some sort of cult following, or punishment...

KevinB said:
pappy -I've seen those pics - but I always wondered why they brought the Swedish Chef on patrol...
The TW CADPAT Screen is easily altered - the AR CADPAT ones are one time environemntal/operational issue only (and I've been saving mine to sell on EBay   ;) )

Wanna trade two new in the bag TW's for a AR screen?  hahaha I got some of them winter ones too, I hear it snows a bit in Canada...  ;D  j/k I know no member of the CND would dream of selling thier kit on ebay....

lol, chefs hat, my first impression too    ;D seems the folks the IDF spend most of this time shooting at in Lebenon got real good at reconigzing the IDF helmet poking up from behind a rock.

Wow, and I thought using the $0.99 US donut-shaped foam pad was high speed...  ;D

Pappy, how does the BLSS chin strap compare to the standard one? 

I have two questions 1) When you say zap strap for attaching the suspension system what exactly do u mean. Im having trouble visualizing how it works. 2) I have a BLU kit in my helmet but they are number 4 pads. I need one size bigger pads. How good is Oregon Aero with exchanges or will I just have to buy the whole new kit

There is one small zap strap holding in the suspension system in the front IIRC.

I do believe you guys are coming over to 1VP lines around the 28th of Aug, if you want I can show you exactly what it looks like.

Would it be too much to ask if I could see some pictures with this kit ON someone?  I have been drooling over the inside pics and am considering a purchase if I ever go on tour so I'd like to see... thanks.

Bzz

Kal said:
Pappy, how does the BLSS chin strap compare to the standard one?  

Kal, I can only describe it from the pics, Oregon Aero is still doing some strength testing to see if the BLSS suspension system will work with the standard 3-screw system the CG has.  I believe the MICH / ACH use 4 screws.

To me it looks like an easyer main connection, rather then the metal prong system the CG uses the BLSS uses a fastex slide-lock buckle.  Look like a pad on the back / neck strap, for fat head guys like me it looks like it would be more comfortable.

The BLSS if I see the detail correctly is a 4-point suspension chin strap system vs. the 3-point one on the CG634.

Take a drill make a hole - and mount your NOD plate while your at it...

Simple  ;D

Bzz - I dont actually wear a helmet it migh crimp my hair...
  I will see if I can get one up when my kit arrives back here.

KevinB might pose for a pic  haha

OA still has mine so I have no pics other then what they have sent me.  These off there website may help a little on the stap configuration.  lots of good info on thier site.

Shoot them off an email Ben and Tony have been great to deal with.

IMG_0822.jpg

To fit the comtacs I had to alter the left and right side pad position from the postion without (no biggies the pads velcros on so just pop it off and realign it for more space)

Okay so I look like a cracked out weirdo - sue me...

How silly of me.  You know I wouldn't be surprised if you brought your own flash bangs etc to your next shin dig.

Just installed mine. 'Tis sweet compared to the CF issued suspension.

CFL said:
How silly of me.   You know I wouldn't be surprised if you brought your own flash bangs etc to your next shin dig.

I tried the AF would not let them on the plane...  :'(

Back