• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Helitack summer work vs Army employment

mondo

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello everyone in the forums,

Was wondering with the varying backgrounds you all bring to the forums, has anyone done Helitack Firefighting for summer employment in years past? I am pondering if I should accept my contract for this, or take my Class B contract that the army wants to give me for summer employment in between semesters at college. My degree I'm working towards is in Criminology, and I want to get into either the civi side or army side of law enforcement (ie Military Police Officer / RCMP) If anyone has a little insight on what to expect for a summer of work with the army or helitack i would be GREATLY appreciate it.

thanks in advice
:cdn:
mondo

error, was meant to be in the off topic forum but ended up here :S

I'm a firefighter and former reservist, can't help you though. Both are good ways to spend a summer. The thing is, what do YOU want to do? If one wanted a career in the CF I'd think that their summer would be better spent training with the military, no?

Or, if you plan to be a smokejumper or forest tech in the future then a summer with Helitack or Rappattack wouldn't hurt either.

Typically Helitack and Rappattack take nothing but the best and hiring procedures vary from province to province.

Good luck.

Also, B Class employment isn't written in stone nor are courses.  They may cancel any of these at any time, even if you show up at another base for it with your route letter in hand.  It's happened, just a heads up.

scott1nsh said:
I'm a firefighter and former reservist, can't help you though. Both are good ways to spend a summer. The thing is, what do YOU want to do? If one wanted a career in the CF I'd think that their summer would be better spent training with the military, no?

Or, if you plan to be a smokejumper or forest tech in the future then a summer with Helitack or Rappattack wouldn't hurt either.

Typically Helitack and Rappattack take nothing but the best and hiring procedures vary from province to province.

Good luck.

My plans are to get on a police force, just not sold on which one yet. I got offered a position in Whitecourt, Alberta with the Helitack team there. I plan on accepting the offer, aslong as the money is there. DO you know some of the first hand duties I would be doing as a member of this team? Any ideas on how much $$ i'll be looking at making

thanks in advice...

Not sure the pay scale as it differs for helitack, rapattack, type 2, etc. I think the last time I was told it was between 7 and 12 bucks an hour. The thing is that you get into overtime hours very quickly and that is where the money can start to pile up. I have worked with several IA and SA crews from Alberta and BC over the last four years, good guys, great experience and awesome training, all of them. It seems to be the sort of job for the younger, University bound people or the ones who just want summer employment.

Hard to predict the amount of money you'll get, slow summer = low dollars. If you get a summer like 02 or 03 then look out, you'll be begging for time off.

Good Luck.

On the other hand in 01 I worked seismic and midway through the summer we picked up a bunch of firefighters who either got laid off or quit because there was no money.

Back