• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Helicopter working with HMCS Fredericton missing?

QUAERIMUS ET PETIMUS

1312.jpg

O Eternal Lord God, who alone rulest the raging of the sea; who has compassed the waters with bounds until day and night come to an end; be pleased to receive into Thy almighty and most gracious protection the persons of us Thy servants, and the Fleet in which we serve.

Preserve us from the dangers of the sea, and from the violence of the enemy; that we may be a safeguard unto our most gracious Sovereign Lady, Queen Elizabeth, and her Dominions, and a security for such as pass upon the seas upon their lawful occasions; that the inhabitants of our Commonwealth may in peace and quietness serve Thee our God; and that we may return in safety
to enjoy the blessings of the land, with the fruits of our labours, and with a thankful remembrance of Thy mercies to praise and glorify Thy Holy Name.
Amen.

Unfortunately Italian Navy , 1 deceased found, 5 souls missing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ItaMilRadar/status/1255595409956880384?s=20

Edit seems to be a civilian account that tracks air travel of Italian military.

gryphonv said:
Unfortunately Italian Navy updated on twitter, 1 deceased found, 5 souls missing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ItaMilRadar/status/1255595409956880384?s=20

That doesn't look like an official Twitter. Without anyone to corroborate, I shall wait for official statements

Is there a flight recorder on the Cyclone?

Hopefully, the depth is not too great

MilEME09 said:
That doesn't look like an official Twitter. Without anyone to corroborate, I shall wait for official statements

I hope it isn't. I jumped the gun and id'd it wrong. Still hoping for some good news, I most likely know the SAC on duty during this. Strikes very close to home for me.

Rifleman62 said:

Hopefully, however a quick google search says it's deepest point it 5267m. Given the fleet group is right there, hopefully they would pick up any wreckage. I am betting they may ground the entire fleet for inspection just as a precaution in the coming days.

MilEME09 said:
Hopefully, however a quick google search says it's deepest point it 5267m. Given the fleet group is right there, hopefully they would pick up any wreckage. I am betting they may ground the entire fleet for inspection just as a precaution in the coming days.

Maybe you can check-fire on the bets, guesses etc for a few days.  If you know nothing about military aviation, maritime SAR etc...perhaps just waiting for the official information is a good COA right now.

Eye In The Sky said:
Maybe you can check-fire on the bets, guesses etc for a few days.  If you know nothing about military aviation, maritime SAR etc...perhaps just waiting for the official information is a good COA right now.

Fair point, bad time to speculate anything, my bad

Eye In The Sky said:

Totally agree. There's a reason why the ship goes into comms lockdown whenever something like this happens. I'm sure we both know a few of those onboard that helo.

I just pray for everyone involved.

Rifleman62 said:

The Beacon Airfoil Unit (BAU) consists of an aerodnamic, crash-resistant module that houses a 121.5 MHz ELT, 406 MHz ELT, antennas and batteries, and the CVR/FDR memory module.

In the event of a crash or upon commanded release, the BAU will clear the structure of the aircraft and descend to the ground.

BAU deployment is triggered automatically by the action of crash detection sesnors.  There are two types of crashes detection switches fitted to the helicopter:
- Frangible switches.  These switches activate when physically broken due to crash impact
- Hydrostatic switch.  This switch activates by water pressure should the aircraft sink following a ditching.

The flight safety team will report as information is gathered and analyzed.  The Wing and the Families deserve to know before the internet.  I'm sure everyone involved appreciates the concern shown.

Baz said:
  The Wing and the Families deserve to know before the internet.  I'm sure everyone involved appreciates the concern shown.

I quite agree.

First sailor identified.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/first-victim-in-canadian-nato-helicopter-crash-identified-1.4918452?fbclid=IwAR2RW7lCOyc1WDgvAqWnsljbBib4tIEow1-yk8WCF221YOfOtYWvYbrcFmA

Abbigail was a Phase VI Marine Systems Engineer on Freddie.  She was a wonderful person.  Always took the time to stop and chat.  She had the remarkable skill of knowing when you were having a bad day, then making you feel better.  It was some witchcraft and she got teased a bit about it, "Don't come near me with your infectious positive attitude!  I'm grumpy and want to stay that way!".  She was also the ship's piper.

Fair winds and following seas.

Baz said:
The Wing and the Families deserve to know before the internet.  I'm sure everyone involved appreciates the concern shown.

That's the reason there's a comms black-out! It's so very important that we respect that.

Underway said:
Abbigail was a Phase VI Marine Systems Engineer on Freddie.  She was a wonderful person.  Always took the time to stop and chat.  She had the remarkable skill of knowing when you were having a bad day, then making you feel better.  It was some witchcraft and she got teased a bit about it, "Don't come near me with your infectious positive attitude!  I'm grumpy and want to stay that way!".  She was also the ship's piper.

Fair winds and following seas.

The video... :cdnsalute:

RIP, Ma'am. 

As I get older it gets harder seeing youngsters taken, especially, being old-fashioned, when they are young ladies younger than my daughter. Their service and their sacrifice seem all the greater.

My respects to the Sub-Lieutenant and to all her fellow crew members and my condolences to all of their families.

Baz said:
The Beacon Airfoil Unit (BAU) consists of an aerodnamic, crash-resistant module that houses a 121.5 MHz ELT, 406 MHz ELT, antennas and batteries, and the CVR/FDR memory module.

CDS reporting as "recovered" now.

Back