• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Heat dome moves toward Alberta after shattering temperature records in B.C., N.W.T.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
The last two days here have been like standing under a blow torch, magnified by the humidity of course. This morning it's down to a 'frigid' 35C, and I've just been able to go outside without having to plan a jog from shade to shade.

We hit the highest temperatures in history, and I recorded 43C at my place. And it looks like this pattern will persist for as long as a couple of weeks, so everyone's freaked out about possible wildfires, of course.

Hey, Prairies and Eastern Canada, catch!

Heat dome moves toward Alberta after shattering temperature records in B.C., N.W.T.​

Police in B.C. say they've responded to at least 63 sudden death calls since extreme weather began​

There are worries about public safety as Western Canada’s dangerous heatwave intensifies, with no relief in sight.

Extreme heat warnings remain in place over much of Western Canada as a historic heat wave that has shattered 103 all-time heat records across B.C., Alberta, Yukon and N.W.T. moves eastward.

The "heat dome" responsible for the unprecedented weather is now settling over British Columbia's Interior and parts of Alberta.

Environment Canada warns that more records will be broken in B.C.'s Interior on Tuesday, after the village of Lytton registered the highest temperature ever recorded in Canada, 47.9 C, on Monday.

In the Alberta Rockies, a high of 39 C is expected Tuesday in Jasper breaking the previous all-time record of 35.1 C set this weekend. The mercury is predicted to top 40 degrees in parts of the province including Grande Prairie; Edmonton and Calgary will reach highs of 36 C.

About 90 years ago there was a significant drought in the US and Canada that basically encompassed all the states north of Texas (including Texas) and the Prairie provinces. This, along with the stock market crash of 1929 ushered in the era of The Great Depression.

Many deaths occurred from a variety of causes including "dust pneumonia ". The dust in the air was so fine and prevalent it killed the very old and the very young. The PBS two part series "The Dust Bowl" covered it very well. If you can find it, watch it.

These two old boys - about mid 80s at the time - were interviewed and described their little sister Rosie (IIRC) who was about two and was stricken with it and died.

I still remember what he said "I don't think I ever got over that" IIRC.

And the dust in the air caused the tears to flow.....😢

My little history lesson for today. Cheers y'all.

Well nature has now proven to me that all of my thoughts of maybe moving to Texas or Arizona at some point were bad bad bad ideas. Nope.

This is brutal 🥵

Well nature has now proven to me that all of my thoughts of maybe moving to Texas or Arizona at some point were bad bad bad ideas. Nope.

This is brutal 🥵

We now have 60km/hr winds ripping through the 'hood.... at least it's cooler now though.

oops.... but he's sorry so it's OK, right?

B.C. premier walks back comments about heatwave deaths​

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – B.C. Premier John Horgan is walking back his use of the phrase “fatalities are a part of life” when answering questions about more than 100 deaths across the province in this heatwave.

On Tuesday, Horgan was asked if the province could have done more to get the message out that temperatures in the 40s, as we saw over the weekend, could be fatal.

“The coroner will be issuing a report later in the day about unexpected deaths over the past, I believe 48 hours. She will be, as she always does, investigating those fatalities and reporting out to the public, directly,” Horgan said.

“I’ll await the coroner’s determination. As Dr. (Bonnie) Henry said, fatalities are part of life. The causes of those fatalities are examined by officials that we’ve placed as a society, to make sure get the best information possible so that we can put in place programs to protect people going forward. This was an unprecedented heat wave, records broken day after day.”

After Horgan made his comments, Chief Coroner Lisa Lapointe issued a statement, saying there has been a “significant increase” in deaths reported where it is suspected extreme heat was a contributing factor.

“The Coroners Service would normally receive approximately 130 reports of death over a four-day period. From Friday, June 25 through 3 p.m. on Monday, June 28, at least 233 deaths were reported. This number will increase as data continues to be updated,” Lapointe said in her statement.

The Mayor of NYC needs everyone to power down immediately so the tourist area of Times Square has enough power to keep the hundreds of massive, energy sucking, digital displays, filled with advertisements, working properly.

oops.... but he's sorry so it's OK, right?

B.C. premier walks back comments about heatwave deaths​

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – B.C. Premier John Horgan is walking back his use of the phrase “fatalities are a part of life” when answering questions about more than 100 deaths across the province in this heatwave.

On Tuesday, Horgan was asked if the province could have done more to get the message out that temperatures in the 40s, as we saw over the weekend, could be fatal.

“The coroner will be issuing a report later in the day about unexpected deaths over the past, I believe 48 hours. She will be, as she always does, investigating those fatalities and reporting out to the public, directly,” Horgan said.

“I’ll await the coroner’s determination. As Dr. (Bonnie) Henry said, fatalities are part of life. The causes of those fatalities are examined by officials that we’ve placed as a society, to make sure get the best information possible so that we can put in place programs to protect people going forward. This was an unprecedented heat wave, records broken day after day.”

After Horgan made his comments, Chief Coroner Lisa Lapointe issued a statement, saying there has been a “significant increase” in deaths reported where it is suspected extreme heat was a contributing factor.

“The Coroners Service would normally receive approximately 130 reports of death over a four-day period. From Friday, June 25 through 3 p.m. on Monday, June 28, at least 233 deaths were reported. This number will increase as data continues to be updated,” Lapointe said in her statement.

I was in the mall the other day and thinking they could easily convert the empty stores (lots and lots) into cooling shelters for seniors.

Lytton is on fire and being evacuated. The Sparks Lake fire (ironic name) is over 40 sq kms in size and growing fast.

Experts report that fire conditions are similar to those of the 2017 firestorm, in August of that year, already throughout BC. This could be the worst fire year ever... all across the West:

Village of Lytton, B.C., evacuated as mayor says 'the whole town is on fire'​

Several out-of-control wildfires burning in other parts of B.C. after scorching heat wave​

Courtney Dickson, Bethany Lindsay · CBC News · Posted: Jun 30, 2021 9:02 AM PT | Last Updated: 26 minutes ago

The mayor of Lytton, B.C., said he has ordered the entire town to be evacuated after a fast-moving wildfire swept in on Wednesday evening.

Mayor Jan Polderman said he told everyone in town to leave as the situation rapidly deteriorated.

"It's dire. The whole town is on fire," Polderman told CBC News. "It took like a whole 15 minutes from the first sign of smoke to all of a sudden there being fire everywhere."

Fire information officers with the B.C. Wildfire Service said they were unable to provide an update on the situation in the Fraser Canyon village.

This week, Lytton recorded the highest temperature ever seen in Canada on three consecutive days, topping out at 49.6 C on Tuesday.

Get off the green bandwagon so that the cost of energy falls so that people can afford A/C.
What do you think is causing this if not GHG? What is your alternative solution to the out of control heating of the earth?

What do you think is causing this if not GHG? What is your alternative solution to the out of control heating of the earth?

In the realm of things we can control shorter term, we need some good science applied to growing more fire resistant forests. This is a thing.

We also need to remove communities from exposure to some of the more dangerous portions of the forest cover, and relocate small villages like Lytton. This is the more critical need, and might see a return to migratory towns where people live in different locations during the winter and summer.

Regardless, we need good leadership to monitor the fire danger and be proactive to evacuate communities before they are overwhelmed by fires. This is where someone screwed up with respect to Lytton, IMHO, where people got out with the fire on their heels and many remain unaccounted for at this point in time.

There are dozens of small communities in the BC interior in a similar situation. Coincidentally, none of the ridings outside of the lower mainland voted NDP or have a sitting MLA in the legislature. Just sayin'.....

Lytton is on fire and being evacuated. The Sparks Lake fire (ironic name) is over 40 sq kms in size and growing fast.

Experts report that fire conditions are similar to those of the 2017 firestorm, in August of that year, already throughout BC. This could be the worst fire year ever... all across the West:

Village of Lytton, B.C., evacuated as mayor says 'the whole town is on fire'​

Several out-of-control wildfires burning in other parts of B.C. after scorching heat wave​

Courtney Dickson, Bethany Lindsay · CBC News · Posted: Jun 30, 2021 9:02 AM PT | Last Updated: 26 minutes ago

The mayor of Lytton, B.C., said he has ordered the entire town to be evacuated after a fast-moving wildfire swept in on Wednesday evening.

Mayor Jan Polderman said he told everyone in town to leave as the situation rapidly deteriorated.

"It's dire. The whole town is on fire," Polderman told CBC News. "It took like a whole 15 minutes from the first sign of smoke to all of a sudden there being fire everywhere."

Fire information officers with the B.C. Wildfire Service said they were unable to provide an update on the situation in the Fraser Canyon village.

This week, Lytton recorded the highest temperature ever seen in Canada on three consecutive days, topping out at 49.6 C on Tuesday.

From some people I know in the area, sounds like Lytton’s gone. Local emergency services were pushing evacuations and holding perimeter while their own homes burned.

Fire season has just started...

From some people I know in the area, sounds like Lytton’s gone. Local emergency services were pushing evacuations and holding perimeter while their own homes burned.

Fire season has just started...

And the fire behaviour is already insanely aggressive:

"Lytton Coun. Robert Leitch said the fire started just south of the community and moved through the town “within minutes.”

What do you think is causing this if not GHG?

GHG and everything else that determines temperature.

What is your alternative solution to the out of control heating of the earth?

It's not out of control. The warming trend is two centuries old, and modest.

There is no emergency and most of the factors are beyond our control; adaptation must serve. People care more about their environment when they live prosperous, comfortable lives; prosperous, comfortable lives are easier when energy is abundant and inexpensive.

Back