• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Heading to Borden, would like some informations.

F

Fogpatrol 1.0

I just finished my BMQ and heading to Borden after chrismas to resume my training as a driver.  What I know so far is that the base is so huge that a car is required to go around and that's close to Toronto. 

I would appreciate general informations about Borden since I can't find any on the internet.

Thank you.

Borden is not that big, that you couldn't get around without a car.  It is the distance to Toronto and entertainment that may more likely be the reason to have a car.  

GW

My introduction to Borden (the second time) was the Course Warrant greeting us with

"Borden is the rape capital of Canada, so you girls don't walk alone; your section commander will issue out your rape whistle, anti-rape spray and copy of the instructional video "What To Do If You Think You Are Getting Raped.""

It was a bit sobering, but luckily our course had no trouble.  I did have to walk a girl from the Algoons home after the course party because she was scared to be out by herself.  Caution is the watchword...

One more question I should ask.  What kind of bed/room do recruits get issued there?  I just want to know so I get an idea on how much room I have and what I can bring with me.

Michael...

Thats scary... Is there much to Borden other than the military?

(And therby implying that the military has something crazy to do with the rape rate?)

Meridian said:
Michael...

Thats scary... Is there much to Borden other than the military?

(And therby implying that the military has something crazy to do with the rape rate?)

I don't know if they were trying to be funny or not; it is the largest base in Canada, and it is also an open base - civvies drive through without being stopped or checked.

Hey I'm from Borden.
When I did my BMQ we got the same speech on how it's the rape capital, and how females were not to be out walking alone.
Borden is fairly large I guess, a car wouldn't be a bad thing, but not necessary, except to get out of town to like Barrie or Toronto.
Any other questions and I might be able to help you out.

-KaT

ive never herd about the raping things but i hear alot of drug busts go on at the barracks a couple times a week

Back on the original subject.

Borden is around 30-45 minute walk from one end to the other. That would be from the Fire Academy to CANEX, so a car can be handy.  Seeing as your going to CFSAL, thats fairly centrally located.  You have the gym nearby, Bleachers (bar/grill place), and CANEX is only a 15 minute walk.  To get to Angus would be around 45 minutes.  Barrie is nearest city and is 15 minute drive.  Toronto is around a 45 minute drive, I would suggest parking at Yorkdale shopping mall and then catching the subway from there.  This is a few years back now, but I've left my car parked at Yorkdale until 2-3 am in the morning, cabbed it back there and had no problems with having it towed from the mall lot but things might have changed.

CFSAL barracks are modular, 2 to a room with between six and twelve rooms per mod.  Each mod has a common area, amenities there vary depending on the school, some have nothing, some have TV, microwave, fridge.  Those are best rooms you can get.  If the school is overflowing with students you may be put in something less desireable.  Having lived in almost all the accomodation that Borden can offer, the old Fire Fighter barracks next to the Billy Bishop arena are the worst.  Up to four metal frame beds to a room, permanent dirt everywhere, a horrible odour, most of probably caused by the terrible air circulation.  Just one of those buildings that aren't nice to be in not matter how much you clean it up.  But that is on the other side of base from CFSAL so I would worry about it.  Between that and the mods are the typical barrack blocks with two to four per room, fairly well maintained with a nice common area.

Enjoy CFSAL...

Thanks for the information.  I guess I can bring my guitar with me this time.

Keep in mind too that you are going to one of the strictest schools on base. The mods are a great place to live...just remember that you WILL be inspected... don't wreck the place on weekends.  Also remember that there are approximately 30 mods within the bldg. Not all from the same school. When you might not have any studying on weekends some courses do... ie... the medical school. Keep that in mind when running around in the common hallway hooting and holloring.

RatCatcher said:
Keep that in mind when running around in the common hallway hooting and holloring.

Oh, I would never do that.   It's an acoustic guitar and I'm a smooth player.  

By inspections, do you mean the "in attention getting your stuff thrown at you" kind or just regular safety and cleanliness inspections?

Back