• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Head Shaving/BMQ (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickhd

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm starting BMQ in exactly 1 week.  It's in St-Hubert, Quebec.  Should I shave my head before getting there or they are going to do it when I'll get there? A friend told me not to shave it because it's going to be part of my best memories from BMQ (Full metal jacket style), but some guy in my unit recommended me to shave it prior my to arrival...  What you guys think?

No.

Search on haircut standards, get a military style cut if you want before going, but there is no need to "shave your head".  You are not going to Parris Island.

Ok but my question was more : should I arrive there with the haircut or do they provide a barber for recruits on the first BMQ day?

If somone from your unit said to get a hair cut, then get a hair cut.

In the future, when somone gives you helpful advice, follow it.

You should watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btz8NWxgnNI

nickhd said:
Ok but my question was more : should I arrive there with the haircut or do they provide a barber for recruits on the first BMQ day?

Forgive me, your use of the word "shave" four times plus a reference to Full Metal Jacket must have led me to believe you meant "shave."

Try searching on "BMQ" + "haircut."

Larkvall said:
You should watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btz8NWxgnNI

Wow thank you, it is so interesting!!!  I will watch them all!

The second time I did Basic (that's another story) I went out and got a proper military style haircut before showing up to the Alphabet school in Borden.  I mean, afterall, I was in before, and knew what to get...  It didn't really matter, I had to get another haircut with everyone else during the first week.  Save yourself the money, and get a haircut when they tell you to, in the style they tell you to.

Only slightly off topic but very amusing if you know the details. Buddy of mine who is a U.S. Marine told me shaving his head before he went was an extremely unfortunate decision as that part of his indoctrination was 'made up for' in other ways.

Many, many, many moons ago when I went from Res to Reg, I actually let my hair grow out. I think it helped in the long run.

Well I am slated for the August 31st BMOQ, and I have been sporting the bald look for quite sometime now.  Just to let you know, I did not originally wish to do so, lol, however thanks to genetics the choice was made for me.  I figured being bald looks a heck of a lot better than balding...

I just figure I am gonna save the CF alot on haircuts ;)

nickinguelph said:
I just figure I am gonna save the CF alot on haircuts ;)

Unfortunately, the only flaw in your thinking is that we pay for our own haircuts.

Long ago and far away you could get the RSM on your case for having too little hair -  Shaving your pate was akin to a "self-inflicted wound"  and would result in the RSM and his minions taking a lot of interest in your case.

CDN Aviator said:
Unfortunately, the only flaw in your thinking is that we pay for our own haircuts.

Well that does make sense... oh well, glad that I have my own set of clippers...and no i do not use a razor, gets too expensive lol.

Would I have to shave my moustache during BMQ...as Ive had mine for over 5 years and Ive grown very attached to it...

tsokman said:
Would I have to shave my moustache during BMQ...as Ive had mine for over 5 years and Ive grown very attached to it...

You can keep it but you have have great handlebars on it and make sure they are waxed well. The instructors will admire your hard work.  Cheers.

hmm thats odd...I received contradictory answers on this one...Ive been grooming mine for some time now and I would hate to have to shave it off...

I guess you will have to wait and see what happens on day 1 of BMQ.

If you have to shave it, guess what you will survive it is only hair... it will grow back.

You can keep the mustache, but you have to shave your armpits, eyebrow, and legs for hygiene reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back